BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I’ve said so many times on here that the order in which players are signed has nothing to do with the buying clubs priorities. They set up several deals and wait to see which one drops.

Downing and Johnson were out of contract and were obv keen to join so it happened around 1st July.

Gallagher was pushed to leave by Southampton who want to reinvest the money.

Yeh I've argued the same thing. My only reservation about the Gally signing is whether it swallows too much of the budget to get the best we can in the areas in dire need. If there is loads left in the kitty then fair play.

Cheap recruits though will imply they used the bulk of the budget on a less urgent area before seeing if it'd be needed elsewhere, hamstringing our options. That would be bad planning (though obviously cheap recruits can still work out great, and can also be the best available...yes it will only imply the planning was bad - unless they're clearly subpar - as we'll never know the target priority). Decent money recruits will mean they knew what they were doing with the budget all along. Will just have to see how it all shakes out.

His injury record is about as bad as you can get.

Following "rave reviews" in the Championship during the 2012–13 season, Hoban received attention from a number of Premiership clubs.[23] However, he suffered an Achilles tendon injury at the beginning of January.[24] On 8 February 2013, Hoban returned to the starting lineup, in a 2–2 draw against Crystal Palace.[25] However, his return was short–lived when he picked up an ankle injury.[26]

After the match, Manager Owen Coyle and local newspaper The Lancashire Telegraph praised Hoban’s performances on his debut.[48] He quickly became a first team regular for the side, playing in the centre–back positions.[49] This last until Hoban suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out for four months.

Hoban suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury at the start of the 2017–18 season.[57]

However, his time with Aberdeen was also severely affected by injury, and in February 2019 he suffered the second anterior cruciate ligament injury of his career. 

Ok, so maybe Hoban was a bad shout. Looking at the home any away stats from last season, we actually had the joint fifth best home defence, conceding 21, significantly fewer than Norwich who I think shipped 35. Could it not be argued that the way Mowbray sets us up away from home may be just as influential as the players available to us? I'm not sure myself but I think it's worth debating. 

• Backroom
Just now, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Ok, so maybe Hoban was a bad shout. Looking at the home any away stats from last season, we actually had the joint fifth best home defence, conceding 21, significantly fewer than Norwich who I think shipped 35. Could it not be argued that the way Mowbray sets us up away from home may be just as influential as the players available to us? I'm not sure myself but I think it's worth debating. 

Yeah, I remember noting last season that there was some significant differences in our home and away stats. If Mowbray could crack setting us up away from home then we would legitimately be in with a shout of the playoffs. We seem to struggle when teams come at us, as opposed to playing at home where we are under less pressure and find it easier to settle.

Just now, DE. said:

Yeah, I remember noting last season that there was some significant differences in our home and away stats. If Mowbray could crack setting us up away from home then we would legitimately be in with a shout of the playoffs. We seem to struggle when teams come at us, as opposed to playing at home where we are under less pressure and find it easier to settle.

I think that's probably true. When you think about it, since Mowbray took over I can hardly remember us being played off the park at Ewood. There's been some bad results (Doncaster, Wimbledon, and the string of 1-0 defeats last season) but we were competitive in all of those matches. Contrast that with regular defeats under Coyle and it's fair to say Tony has turned Ewood into...if not a fortress...at least a difficult place to go. 

• Backroom
Just now, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I think that's probably true. When you think about it, since Mowbray took over I can hardly remember us being played off the park at Ewood. There's been some bad results (Doncaster, Wimbledon, and the string of 1-0 defeats last season) but we were competitive in all of those matches. Contrast that with regular defeats under Coyle and it's fair to say Tony has turned Ewood into...if not a fortress...at least a difficult place to go. 

We saw a ridiculous amount of HT 0-0's at Ewood last season. Teams did not find it easy to score against us at home. I don't know the stats, but I'd bet it was nothing similar away from home. We can hypothesise as to the reasons behind it, but the fact remains that we were far more solid at home than we were away from home. That's obviously not uncommon, but Mowbray is going to need to work out how to take our home mentality on the road if we are to make a serious push for a playoff spot this season. Improving the defence, assuming we do, will obviously help - but our home form last season showed that the defence in of itself wasn't necessarily the primary problem. It was as much if not more to do with how we were set up. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

We saw a ridiculous amount of HT 0-0's at Ewood last season. Teams did not find it easy to score against us at home. I don't know the stats, but I'd bet it was nothing similar away from home. We can hypothesise as to the reasons behind it, but the fact remains that we were far more solid at home than we were away from home.

conceded 21 at home, 48 away

Screenshot_20190715-195708_Chrome.jpg

Just now, DE. said:

saw a ridiculous amount of HT 0-0's at Ewood last season. Teams did not find it easy to score against us at home. I don't know the stats, but I'd bet it was nothing similar away from home. We can hypothesise as to the reasons behind it, but the fact remains that we were far more solid at home than we were away from home. That's obviously not uncommon, but Mowbray is going to need to work out how to take our home mentality on the road if we are to make a serious push for a playoff spot this season. Improving the defence, assuming we do, will obviously help - but our home form last season showed that the defence in of itself wasn't necessarily the primary problem. It was as much if not more to do with how we were set up. 

Don't disagree tbf. But do you think he has it in him to sort it out?

He's been here 2 1/2 years now and i'm not convinced. His set up, tactics and subs last year were borderline ridiculous. I'd say Travis and Rothwell were 2 successes last year overall and yet it was almost by accident they got on the park. He'll be one of the longer serving championship managers now and it looks no clearer to me what he's trying to do. Hence my reference earlier (probably harshly in some respects) to maybe not being the brightest of guys.   

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, TBTF said:

Don't disagree tbf. But do you think he has it in him to sort it out?

He's been here 2 1/2 years now and i'm not convinced. His set up, tactics and subs last year were borderline ridiculous. I'd say Travis and Rothwell were 2 successes last year overall and yet it was almost by accident they got on the park. He'll be one of the longer serving championship managers now and it looks no clearer to me what he's trying to do. Hence my reference earlier (probably harshly in some respects) to maybe not being the brightest of guys.   

Personally? No, I think it's beyond him. His overcautious demeanour and stubborn loyalty to certain players will likely continue to limit the team's potential. He's earned the chance to try though, so I can only hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 2

Just now, blackburnravers.com said:

Interesting one of the best in the league. Obvious why though, we have more of the ball at home and attack a bit more meaning we dont have to defend as much. That is exactly why we shouldnt have just sat back when playing away from home, team wasnt and still isnt good enough to do that.

Edited by AAK

Just now, blackburnravers.com said:

48 goals away from home , many comical / horrendous . He made a big thing of it having to stop in May and here we are without defensive reinforcements less than 3 weeks before the season. Truly baffling knowing that 10k Rovers fans have seen it plain as day and expected corrective action last Jan . They might come , lets bloody hope so. Ones that have to be ready to go on August 3rd!

• Like 1

Jeez been off here all day, came on to find 6 new pages, read through them and it’s all guff, not even a link to a new player to be had.

the fact that the rangers tweet mentioned sevco surely was enough to make it non credible as that’s a derogatory term for rangers from Celtic fans. 

Sharpes tweet was nothing I haven’t been saying for last two weeks either, nothing to see there. 

I will put it down to panic and frustration but please can we get a bit of sense back here and make this thread actually worth coming to. 

• Like 8

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Jeez been off here all day, came on to find 6 new pages, read through them and it’s all guff, not even a link to a new player to be had.

the fact that the rangers tweet mentioned sevco surely was enough to make it non credible as that’s a derogatory term for rangers from Celtic fans. 

Sharpes tweet was nothing I haven’t been saying for last two weeks either, nothing to see there. 

I will put it down to panic and frustration but please can we get a bit of sense back here and make this thread actually worth coming to. 

Of course, this thread is going to divert to general chat about transfers, players etc if nobody is imminent, that’s the ebb and flow of a message board. Otherwise may as well lock it between signings.

It’s like some people have never read a transfer thread before this summer.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, DE. said:

Personally? No, I think it's beyond him. His overcautious demeanour and stubborn loyalty to certain players will likely continue to limit the team's potential. He's earned the chance to try though, so I can only hope he proves me wrong.

Yup, I bet if every fan on this site made their current best XI, Bennett would feature in possibly what, 10%?

Yet he is automatic under Mowbray.

Bennett will start at the expense of Nyambe or in attacking midfield.

Dack, Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell, Gallagher, Butteworth, Downing and maybe even Brereton are all playing for those 3 roles, yet Bennett will be gifted the RW slot if TM chooses to go Nyambe at RB.

Either way, "Fan Favourite Agent Benno" starts.

• Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Difference between discussion - which I’m ok with re transfers and general nonsense , half of the messages are unreadable. 

I just skip through the nonsense, you can pretty much tell from the usernames at this point how far you need to scroll :unsure:

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

Yup, I bet if every fan on this site made their current best XI, Bennett would feature in possibly what, 10%?

Yet he is automatic under Mowbray.

Bennett will start at the expense of Nyambe or in attacking midfield.

Dack, Armstrong, Chapman, Rothwell, Gallagher, Butteworth, Downing and maybe even Brereton are all playing for those 3 roles, yet Bennett will be gifted the RW slot if TM chooses to go Nyambe at RB.

Either way, "Fan Favourite Agent Benno" starts.

Bennett is one of them - would not surprise me at all if Mulgrew and Evans are another two who are selected far more than they should be over the coming season. Thankfully there's evidence to suggest Smallwood has fallen far down the pecking order, at least.

Just now, DE. said:

I just skip through the nonsense, you can pretty much tell from the usernames at this point how far you need to scroll :unsure:

Surely you would need to read the post before dismissing it as nonsense?

• Like 1