BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

"Blackburn Rovers should make a move for Derby County goalkeeper Scott Carson as they seek a replacement for last season’s number one David Raya who recently joined Championship rivals Brentford."

Rovers "should". 

Carson's agent working very hard touting his man around the inter-web. 

There's been dozens of those type of articles. prominent among them is the number of clubs who've  been "advised" to sign Dack!

Just now, JHRover said:

Or he's not got authority to....

Another morning, another paranoid presumption.

Serious question though JHR; Do you genuinely believe that the owners are implementing some sort of “you aren’t allowed defenders” system? Genuinely?

If you do believe that, what are the reasons? Some of the most expensive recent deals are defenders, Mings for example, so it’s hardly down to some half baked profit argument.

Surely Occam’s razor applies once more. We simply haven’t, or couldn’t attract defenders we wanted? Isn’t that the most obvious and easiest suggestion? What about the amount of defenders we’ve brought through the academy compared to number 10’s and number 9’s?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Goalkeeper in this week barring any last min complications, some will be happy, some won’t. Nature of the position, it’s hard to please everyone.

i think it’s an upgrade on raya personally, can see the logic 

I appreciate you probably can't say who but is it a loan or permanent signing 

Employing Downung as a wing back would be plain stupid at 35 yrs of age look how Caddis struggled when asked to do it in league bloody 1.  Ok nowhere near Downings quality on the ball but that primarily isn't what it's about you have to get up and down and that lad was knackered after 15 mins so it would be no different now the intensity levels are too much for old legs in that role.

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Screams Joe Hart to me. 

Cant see him slumming it in the bottom half of the second division.

He could still command a decent money move to the US or something surely?

16 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Just to debunk this whole loan vs permanent signing fiasco.

When Bournemouth got promoted from the Championship their first choice goalkeeper was Artur Boruc, on loan from Southampton.

When Watford got promoted they had at least 5 players on loan, all of them first team regulars.

Aston Villa were a defensive shambles before they recruited Hause and Mings, both on loan, in which Mings formed a defensive partnership with Taunzebe, obviously on loan, which lead to a 13(?) game winning spell and ultimately promotion.

When Brighton got promoted their top goalscorer was Glenn Murray - a loanee.

Then we can go into teams like Derby, in which Mount, Wilson, Fimori all came in on loan to guide them to a play off final. Although the "lampard effect" meant they could get them players.

The truth about it is that whether the incoming goalkeeper or defender is a loanee or permanent signing is irrelevant. As long as they play for Rovers, come in the first team and improve it it doesn't matter. Certainly loaning a player isn't evidence "the budget has been mismanaged" at all. If the right players become available via loan I'd much rather have them than buy a player that isn't as good simply because they're our players.

Thanks for pointing out the realities of modern day football.

Three of our most recent signings were at Rovers on loan first.

I would be mightily disappointed if we don't have at least one PL class player on loan by 9 August.

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

Serious question though JHR; Do you genuinely believe that the owners are implementing some sort of “you aren’t allowed defenders” system? Genuinely?

If you do believe that, what are the reasons? Some of the most expensive recent deals are defenders, Mings for example, so it’s hardly down to some half baked profit argument.

Surely Occam’s razor applies once more. We simply haven’t, or couldn’t attract defenders we wanted? Isn’t that the most obvious and easiest suggestion? What about the amount of defenders we’ve brought through the academy compared to number 10’s and number 9’s?

Maybe you aren't allowed to buy defenders rather than not sign any could be a reason so it's narrowed the field significantly in trying to find better than what is there given the crazy prices. Similar would apply to loans  as in no big wages as sanctioned elsewhere but not there unless parent club is tipping up the shortfall again narrowing down the field a lot.

Bauer was a target until it became too expensive, as a free and on or around the wages they prefer to pay he'd have slot nicely into Mowbrays selection policy but it wasn't to be.  Not many about like him though that's why he would imo have been a handy signing but they didn't want to invest in him or possibly that area of the park because it's earmarked for growing yields.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Do you not find it interesting that in 7 years of non Premier League football in which we've gone through 7 managers and god knows how many players on the books that the defence has only had at most a couple of million spent on it?

Amazing how those targets are so difficult to get hold of each and every year.

It is my belief, for whatever reason, that there is policy here whereby funding for new players is sanctioned from India on a case by case basis and that money that materialises for offensive players perhaps isn't available for defensive players.

Having spent more than 12 million in the last two summers on 3 young attacking prospects all with minimal experience of this division I find it incomprehensible that the manager would not want to spend a portion of that cash on a defender or two, or that we aren't financially able to get the targets done.

As I said last week. I fully expect the solution to our defensive woes to be a CB on loan from somewhere or someone who won't cost money and probably won't be able to dislodge the existing players. If I'm wrong on that the  fair enough, but if I'm right then its more reason to believe my suspicions are correct. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Do you not find it interesting that in 7 years of non Premier League football in which we've gone through 7 managers and god knows how many players on the books that the defence has only had at most a couple of million spent on it?

It is my belief, for whatever reason, that there is policy here whereby funding for new players is sanctioned from India on a case by case basis and that money that materialises for offensive players perhaps isn't available for defensive players.

Having spent more than 12 million in the last two summers on 3 young attacking prospects all with minimal experience of this division I find it incomprehensible that the manager would not want to spend a portion of that cash on a defender or two, or that we aren't financially able to get the targets done.

As I said last week. I fully expect the solution to our defensive woes to be a CB on loan from somewhere or someone who won't cost money and probably won't be able to dislodge the existing players. If I'm wrong on that the  fair enough, but if I'm right then its more reason to believe my suspicions are correct. 

The audit report from last season perhaps highlighted the difference in transfer fee, and therefore potential profit, between defenders and forwards?

Its hard for us to accept that Blackburn Rovers might not be run principally as a football club.

• Like 2

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Cant see him slumming it in the bottom half of the second division.

He could still command a decent money move to the US or something surely?

It's hard to make a judgement on that before a ball has even been kicked. The players seem to have bought into the playoff push rhetoric this season though, so why would anyone coming in think otherwise?

He might well be able to get more money in the US, but in terms of league quality, he'd be better off in the Championship. Depends what he values more; his football or his bank balance. 

Just now, tomphil said:

Maybe you aren't allowed to buy defenders rather than not sign any could be a reason so it's narrowed the field significantly in trying to find better than what is there given the crazy prices. Similar would apply to loans  as in no big wages as sanctioned elsewhere but not there unless parent club is tipping up the shortfall again narrowing down the field a lot.

Bauer was a target until it became too expensive, as a free and on or around the wages they prefer to pay he'd have slot nicely into Mowbrays selection policy but it wasn't to be.  Not many about like him though that's why he would imo have been a handy signing but they didn't want to invest in him or possibly that area of the park because it's earmarked for growing yields.

There’s nothing to suggest that Bauer wouldn’t be another example of a growing yield, especially taking into account our current top CB is probably going towards 10m (my estimate) in value.

There are interviews that also suggest he was never a solution for first choice - and since we also didn’t meet a small fee last summer, isn’t it easy to just think we didn’t really want him that much?

Just now, JHRover said:

We’ve had so many different managers in that time with different systems, priorities, amounts to spend, philosophies (or lack of!) - I can find little consistency if I’m honest.

As I said, the most obvious reason with the least assumption suggests those players just haven’t materialised - There is also the GK, RB’s, CB’s that have come through the academy - we haven’t had a No9 in all that time come through. If you look at the squad (after AA went back to NUFC) before last summer, and Brereton - many of us would’ve accepted and agreed our weaknesses came primarily on the flank and up top.

If we sign no GK or CB this summer - I’ll be pretty concerned, and I think many would be too - knowing the last 20m had gone into all midfield and attack - but I just don’t think it is going to happen JHR - especially not because of some “venky order”..! 

15 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I already explained why I would be unhappy in detail, so why are you asking me why I would be unhappy? Treat my question there as rhetorical, you're obviously happy for us to go through the whole 'our defence needs rebuilding' saga again next year, I'm not, so there's no point us discussing that further.

Would you at least agree our defence needs more than one player as reinforcement?

No, that's silly, obviously I wouldn't be happy with that.

Would you agree that a keeper and a CB would be counted as more than one player? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If we are close to signing a goalkeeper, my guess would be Scott Carson. Hes out with Derby but didnt play either half of their friendly with a "slight knock."

If it is him consider me underwhelmed.

And he’s objectively a downgrade on Raya.

43 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Goalkeeper in this week barring any last min complications, some will be happy, some won’t. Nature of the position, it’s hard to please everyone.

i think it’s an upgrade on raya personally, can see the logic 

You love dangling a big juicy worm on the end of your rod for us don't you? ?

• Like 1