BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Skrtel turns 35 in Decmeber so it's not ideal is it, though he is a bigger name than I was expecting and would hope he would do a good job for a season. Scott Dann being over 2 years younger would be a better option. 

Olsson I would be happy with but I think he is a 3rd priority.

Ironically didn't our team the first year relegated feature Olsson and Dann in defense (with Hanley) and almost get relegated? ?

Nyambe, Bennett, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Dann, Williams, Olsson and Bell... is that enough? ?? (excluding youth).

Carson, rather not. He's an upgrade on Leutwiler. Not Raya.

Just now, tomphil said:

Yeah he'd have benefitted from working with a good keeper in his time here but Steele and the other lad were never any better than him.  At this stage having broken into the first team as no 1 he was never going to accept being a no 2 again when there was other interest in him I don't think.

Think your right. I just hope we get a decent keeper in and some much needed defensive reinforcements or it could be a very challenging season. Got some good midfield and attacking options. Could do off offload a few now

• Like 1

Keepers are always subject to opinion. Is Carson going to get into the top corners like Raya? No. But the manager has decided he wants a steady, experienced keeper to Marshall his defence and dominate situations. Is Raya going to deliver that over the likes of Carson, Forster, Ruddy, Hart or Adrian? No.

• Like 3

I think the movement towards players in their 30’s is in order to allow the likes of Buckley, Butterworth, Magloire etc a route through. If the new signings were 26-28 there’d be an obvious block. Moving Jonty into the first team set up is a massive indication of what they’re looking to achieve with the young lads. Downing, Johnson, Carson?, Dann?, Skrtel?, Graham and Mulgrew will be expected to make an impact this season and potentially assist those young lads into the team.

• Like 2

Just now, OssyLad said:

People moaning about players age, how old was Salgado when he signed and how good was he? Give the lads a chance haha. Think a lot of you will be proven wrong 

Allardyce had Salgado getting up to speed for ages when he first came to be fair and he did really struggle at times with the pace of but the man came from Real Madrid and oozed quality so not really a good comparison.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am baffled that people don't think Carson is a better keeper than Raya at this current time. 

Hes a good experienced keeper in my opinion. Being realistic we cant go out and buy players for big transfer fees and offer the best wages. Hes entering the last year of his contract so a deal is there to be done. Even if it's a short term solution it's a solution for now

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I think the movement towards players in their 30’s is in order to allow the likes of Buckley, Butterworth, Magloire etc a route through. If the new signings were 26-28 there’d be an obvious block. Moving Jonty into the first team set up is a massive indication of what they’re looking to achieve with the young lads. Downing, Johnson, Carson?, Dann?, Skrtel?, Graham and Mulgrew will be expected to make an impact this season and potentially assist those young lads into the team.

Thought this myself. 

I think there is a design here rather than simply signing older players. I think its with a view to give the younger crop an obvious hole to fill in a couple of seasons.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

Just now, OssyLad said:

People moaning about players age, how old was Salgado when he signed and how good was he? Give the lads a chance haha. Think a lot of you will be proven wrong 

Very true 

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Raya was dropped at the back end of last season, that's right dropped and although Mowbrays public handling of the situation was very poor the dropping of the player was correct.

He was dropped as soon as we secured survival, which spoke volumes. Mowbray scapegoated him to try and hide the fact that he’s incapable of organising a defence. The worst thing about the scapegoating was that he was too cowardly to call out our more established players (Mulgrew), even though they were undoubtedly more to blame than Raya.

• Like 4

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Wasn't impressed by Scott Dann when we had him. Plenty of Prem experience though and you'd imagine he'd be a good player at Championship level. Would be interesting to see how he got on. 

He struggled under Kean but who didn’t? Iv read articles suggesting he is their best ever premier league signing, pound for pound.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

He struggled under Kean but who didn’t? Iv read articles suggesting he is their best ever premier league signing, pound for pound.

Agreed, we were awful then. He was brought in for decent money though and with a really good reputation from his time at Birmingham. Completely failed to reproduce the form here. 

18 minutes ago, pick32 said:

Carson also got dropped he mustn’t be a steady performing keeper either.

To be fair he was Derbys player of the year the 2 years before Lampard arrived, so it depends which way you look at it.

We are not a pull for players, not even in this league, so anybody we sign is going to have some slight question marks over them

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

He was dropped as soon as we secured survival, which spoke volumes. Mowbray scapegoated him to try and hide the fact that he’s incapable of organising a defence. The worst thing about the scapegoating was that he was too cowardly to call out our more established players (Mulgrew), even though they were undoubtedly more to blame than Raya.

I'm sure he called them out in his interview where he stated he had no defence and that defenders are coming.

He obviously didn't rate Raya, has made moves to replace him. From what little rumour we have it seems a centre half is incoming also. I'd say he's making moves to address those problems.

• Like 1

Agreed, we were awful then. He was brought in for decent money though and with a really good reputation from his time at Birmingham. Completely failed to reproduce the form here. 

He was the best of a bad bunch with Yakubu. He wouldn't have got to stay in the Premier league otherwise. 

The good thing with the signing of Gallagher and Carson/Dann if we get them is a big increase in height in the team. All are 6 foot 3 or taller. We badly missed that last season. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was the best of a bad bunch with Yakubu. He wouldn't have got to stay in the Premier league otherwise. 

The good thing with the signing of Gallagher and Carson/Dann if we get them is a big increase in height in the team. All are 6 foot 3 or taller. We badly missed that last season. 

I personally feel like he got that Palace move in spite of his performances here. More than willing to give him a chance if he is someone we're after. He might feel as though he's got some unfinished business here, if he does come back. Yakubu was a class above. Sickens me that we relegated despite him scoring so many. Shows how poor our defending was that season.

Agree with the point about height. My girlfriend always finds it funny that we have a team of 'midgets'.

• Like 1

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm sure he called them out in his interview where he stated he had no defence and that defenders are coming.

He obviously didn't rate Raya, has made moves to replace him. From what little rumour we have it seems a centre half is incoming also. I'd say he's making moves to address those problems.

I'm pretty sure he made a thinly veiled dig at Mulgrew in regards to injuries around the time we were really struggling. I think it was around the time they seemed to be having a club v country debate. 

• Like 1

I personally feel like he got that Palace move in spite of his performances here. More than willing to give him a chance if he is someone we're after. He might feel as though he's got some unfinished business here, if he does come back. Yakubu was a class above. Sickens me that we relegated despite him scoring so many. Shows how poor our defending was that season.

Agree with the point about height. My girlfriend always finds it funny that we have a team of 'midgets'.

Ha, we really do. You notice it at set-pieces particularly. The crazy thing is we played so many long balls.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, geedog13 said:

Casey palmer to Sunderland......... he has nearly found his level lol 

Where is that from? I saw he'd been linked with Swansea. Would be very surprised if he dropped to League 1.