BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

48 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He absolutely wasn't the best of a bad bunch with Yakubu. He was awful for us in the Prem. I remember him, Lowe and Hanley being the 3 players I felt were most responsible for our relegation (on the pitch anyway, obviously off-field causes were worse). He didn't get to stay in the Prem, he had one and a half seasons with us in the Championship.

Like Hanley, he steadily got better in the Championship and started looking good. Once he did, he was off. He earned himself a move back to the Prem rather than getting to stay because he was good in it. Done very well since by all accounts.

Finally... The truth. 

He didn't stay in the prem when we went down like others have suggested. 

More fake news 

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

ummmm......what about those reflex saves?

You are less reliant on making reflex saves if you can claim the cross before it drops to an attacker. When I played as a centre back, I'd always prefer to have keeper who talked and dominated the area, to the one with better reflexes who was glued to the line. 

• Like 2

Dann was awful in the Premier League for us. He got smaller when he jumped and we didn't keep a clean sheet until March of that season. He looked like he wasn't bothered most of the time too. Granted the club was a total shambles and we had he who shall not be named as 'manager' getting rid of all our good, experienced defenders and replacing them with youngsters or absolute jokers like Bradley Orr.

He’s clearly been much better at Palace and had some good seasons there, but I’d be surprised if he ever came back here.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was the best of a bad bunch with Yakubu. He wouldn't have got to stay in the Premier league otherwise. 

The good thing with the signing of Gallagher and Carson/Dann if we get them is a big increase in height in the team. All are 6 foot 3 or taller. We badly missed that last season. 

Bradley Johnson is also very good in the air. According to the Derby supporters he never loses a challenge in the air. Will help in both boxes in that respect.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Obviously! 

Any need for this? Out of the keepers mentioned, he would be down the list for me.

https://www.optasportspro.com/static/10-create-season-review.html

He was statistically the worst keeper in the league when he played last year.

His weaknesses also seem to be not only distribution but an unwillingness to come off his line. So his flaws arent too dissimilar to Rayas.

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Good stuff, should comfortably cover the Gallagher fee. Net spend £0 for the summer with loans and frees to come?

Pretty sure Johnson and Downing aren't volunteering their time to play here, but I suppose that doesn't count, does it?  Gallagher plus a new keeper for Raya sounds like a good deal to me as well. 

What were you adamant the Raya fee was again, 2 million wasn't it?  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Any need for this? Out of the keepers mentioned, he would be down the list for me.

His weaknesses also seem to be not only distribution but an unwillingness to come off his line. So his flaws arent too dissimilar to Rayas.

Interesting site. Ya, not great reading about him there. I would say his stats are considerably better for the rest of his career though. Would you agree? 

25 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That's the point I think, no doubt a top class goalie is in there, do we take a bit of a punt and hope to reap the rewards.  I think yes.

In our present position we have to take risks. We have to think ourselves lucky that we can still take risks. If we had carried on pre Tony Mowbray no player would have come near us.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Slightly off topic but Bennett is statistically the best winger defensively in the league, and Evans is in the top 10 for centre mids defensively.

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pretty sure Johnson and Downing aren't volunteering their time to play here, but I suppose that doesn't count, does it?  Gallagher plus a new keeper for Raya sounds like a good deal to me as well. 

What were you adamant the Raya fee was again, 2 million wasn't it?  

And nor were Downing, Reed, Palmer volunteering either. 

It depends on who the new keeper is and on what terms he is brought in before I hail it as successful business.

As it stands with the season 3 weeks away we've weakened what was already a leaky defence, sold off our keeper and not replaced him. Let's wait and see what happens but a short term loan to plus the gaps will not be acceptable. 

• Like 2

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Slightly off topic but Bennett is statistically the best winger defensively in the league, and Evans is in the top 10 for centre mids defensively.

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

So if we bring in Carson we will be swapping the 9th best goalkeeper (Statistically) for the worst goalkeeper. 

There are three kinds of lies- regular lies, damned lies, and statistics."

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Is Carson a talker? I wonder if the idea behind getting an experienced guy in the nets is so that the likes of Magloire or Wharton will have a man in their ear throughout the match.

Would also explain Dann being pursued, he's a talker too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I think the movement towards players in their 30’s is in order to allow the likes of Buckley, Butterworth, Magloire etc a route through. If the new signings were 26-28 there’d be an obvious block. Moving Jonty into the first team set up is a massive indication of what they’re looking to achieve with the young lads. Downing, Johnson, Carson?, Dann?, Skrtel?, Graham and Mulgrew will be expected to make an impact this season and potentially assist those young lads into the team.

If the likes of Buckley, Butterworth or Magloire are good enough then they will get into the first team regardless of the age of other players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonygreenbank said:

Perhaps the keeper is Joe Hart. The Times today says he can leave on a free transfer.

Im sure he’ll have plenty of offers and his wages will be high but I would be really pleased if it was him.

John Ruddy. (Not my opinion).

• Like 6

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

If the likes of Buckley, Butterworth or Magloire are good enough then they will get into the first team regardless of the age of other players.

I can't really see how Buckley and Butterworth will get in to be perfectly honest given who we have signed. Would mean dropping very experienced / proven players / new signings. They would really need to tear up trees or there be an absolutely huge injury crisis.

• Like 1