BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
25 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Christ, I’m far from Hart’s biggest fan but some of the criticism of him on here is ridiculous.

Whilst he has obviously been great in the past, I’m not sure he will ever get back there tbh. It’s a hell of a risk.

My dingle mates told me that he really didn’t communicate with the defence and that’s what they were used to with Heaton and that was his undoing. 

Obviously at City, Kompany et al won’t have needed anything like that amount of guidance, so you can see how it’s happened.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I’ve heard the wages were a big factor. Wasn’t on much at all here considering his place in the squad.

Obviously though people would rather reimagine him as being utter shit. I’m sure his replacement will be a shot stopping, cross catching machine with a Beckham-esque delivery and the ability to organise a defence better than Bobby Moore.

No one has even suggested he was utter shite, just that he has gaping holes! in his all round game, important are those qualities he is lacking.  Some think they can be coached into him others such as my self are doubtful of that.  To me we all have a little bit of fondness for Raya and I am sure wish him well we just need a better all round keeper.  If we lose a little in the cat like reflexes so be it but it's crucial your keeper can claim a cross and not run out of his goal to flatten a striker who is going nowhere.  Good luck to Raya but just.not quite there yet, time will tell.

7 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

To be fair he was Derbys player of the year the 2 years before Lampard arrived, so it depends which way you look at it.

We are not a pull for players, not even in this league, so anybody we sign is going to have some slight question marks over them

Ssshh.

Hart would be a the type of gamble we took with Friedel. If it pays off he could be the difference this season. Yes, he's had a rough couple of years but on his day he is far better than any keeper in this league. 

If it turns out we get Carson I will still be happy. Plenty of experience and the type of keeper that doesn't shut up. But, out of the 2 I would take Hart. Honestly think it's one of these 2 if the comment about split opinions is true, almost definitely rules Ruddy out, as I haven't read a bad word about him. 

Hopefully we find out tomorrow and then cue the multiple variations of opinions. 

As far as a centre half goes, again plenty of names banded about. Dann, Skrtel, Cooper, Hanley, Ampadu. If we manage to get 1 of those it would be a 100% improvement. 

A defence lining up like

Hart

Nyambe Lenihan Skrtel Bell

Is 100 times better than

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Roll on the announcements. Still believe this will be the best window we have had since relegation from the top flight. 

• Like 4

Just now, K-Hod said:

Whilst he has obviously been great in the past, I’m not sure he will ever get back there tbh. It’s a hell of a risk.

My dingle mate’s told me that he really didn’t communicate with the defence and that’s what they were used to with Heaton and that was his undoing. 

Obviously at City, Kompany et al won’t have needed anything like that amount of guidance, so you can see how it’s happened.

I've had Burnley fans tell me the same thing.

I doubt it though. Hart played top level football for years. Being quiet isn't an attribute of a keeper.

Aside from Hart's obvious fall from grace, his undoing was Burnley's early start due to their Europa League exploits. They didn't get a proper pre season in, and had to adjust accordingly. It was only after an international break that Dyche got them back to their working order.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

A defence lining up like

Hart

Nyambe Lenihan Skrtel Bell

Is 100 times better than

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Roll on the announcements. Still believe this will be the best window we have had since relegation from the top flight. 

I have no idea why Bell is immune from criticism, I think he's worse than Williams. 

Edit: perhaps not immune but he always seems to ranked higher than Williams which I never see as fair.

Edited by iSeeRed
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

After he's laid out 10 million on two centre forwards neither of whom are likely to start games? No, not having that.

Or he has spent 10 million on two forwards who gell and score loads of goals for us 

Nobody,  no-one, not one person gets a sustained run as a top flight English international, if there isn't something very compelling about their ability and capacity to deliver the goods.

Any of the keepers we are mooting as potentially realistic replacements for Raya are well qualified in the ability and capacity to deliver stakes. Goalkeepers tend to mature & get better with age (up to  a point of course) - Brad Friedel, Jim Arnold, Terry Gennoe, Roger Jones being excellent examples of this particular point. Game changers, all of the above. Our new keeper, with any luck, will follow in that tradition, which is well established at the Arts at Labore fun factory. 

2 hours ago, RV Blue said:

The worst post to ever be upvoted on here (and that’s saying something). Are you forgetting what the most important attribute is for a keeper to have?

But not the only one he needs.  Bending down to pick the ball out if the net 69.times suggest he might.do better there too.  Iknow I know the stats say.  Was just tingue in cheek.  You need more as a keeper a lot more as part of a team.

2 hours ago, unsall said:

How do you know we won’t spend money because we’ve bought Gallagher, you said we wouldn’t spend a few mil on anyone this window, but we did, you said there was no money before we bought Bereton, there was, like your recent post says, , let’s see what happens when the window shuts, then we can make our minds up.

Don't recall saying we wouldn't spend this summer. Either way it doesn't look like we have spent this summer given the figures quoted on here with Raya.

Just now, iSeeRed said:

I have no idea why Bell is immune from criticism, I think he's worse than Williams. 

Edit: perhaps not immune but he always seems to ranked higher than Williams which I never see as fair.

As a left back I would take Bell all day long. In an ideal world I would look to bring a new one in, Olsson ideally, however I think centre half and keeper are priorities right now. 

• Like 4

As a left back I would take Bell all day long. In an ideal world I would look to bring a new one in, Olsson ideally, however I think centre half and keeper are priorities right now. 

Yeah fair enough, I just think Williams is a better player to have because he can play center-half.  Mowbray appears to have high hopes for Sam Hart at Left-Back so hopefully he has a good breakthrough this season.

Left back in the dressing room I would agree 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Aside from the obvious gap of Rayas departure I am not as concerned re: current back/defence as last yr. obviously additions would be a huge improvement but let’s not forget how much pressure they were under due to a limited midfield. Latest additions mean we are likely to hold ball up and play higher up field etc. Again additions of end of season Of Nott forests finest/Gallagher this etc will hopefully mean we can use Danny g to hold ball up even higher/target man /ball holder in last 20 mins/conserve his energy. I can now see us confidently playing  higher up field putting less pressure on back 4 etc and maybe seeing out matches with out leaking last minute goals as often so understand TM comments re: defence not the priority it was. Keeper another matter

Edited by markhayhurst

4 hours ago, pick32 said:

Wonder if Martinez is available for loan again, him and an experienced keeper on a free would be good additions.

Mentioned him a couple of times. Solid keeper he is. Get on loan, groom him and sign him next season.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Don't recall saying we wouldn't spend this summer. Either way it doesn't look like we have spent this summer given the figures quoted on here with Raya.

Yep, you said we haven’t any money again, anyway you can’t say we haven’t spent just because we cashed in on Raya, it’s like saying Brentford haven’t spent, but they cashed in big style on sales, so they could spend on new players, and you seemed to think they were being smart.

Wouldnt bother me if he wheels/ deals and doesn’t spend millions, as long as the team is stronger than last season.

If a quality experienced C/B comes in on loan and a good keeper on a free, if they improve the team, no problem.

• Like 1