BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Grewy was brilliant in the few games he had for us. Think he came in because Genoe was old and broken and Collier was shit? 

Then it was Bobby Mimms, who I was dreading but actually did a fantastic job for us before handing over his gloves to Flowers and the rest is history..

One I never took to was John Filan. Just wasn’t good enough.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kokkini said:

Grewy was brilliant in the few games he had for us. Think he came in because Genoe was old and broken and Collier was shit? 

Then it was Bobby Mimms, who I was dreading but actually did a fantastic job for us before handing over his gloves to Flowers and the rest is history..

Another one a bit off-topic - more Memory Lane than Summer Transfer Window 2019 - but another name I remember from the mid-60s, although I can't remember if I actually saw him play - it was A Level time & my Mum, in particular, kept my nose to the grindstone - was another Aussie keeper, John Roberts. I think he played a few games either in the 65/66 relegation season or the following season; our first back in Division Two.

There's something in a memory cell at the back of my brain telling me that not only was he the first Australian to play for us; he may have been the first Aussie to play in the Football League. But I couldn't swear to that.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kokkini said:

I thought Filan was magnificent for Rovers, made some unbelievable saves.

Player of the Year 98/99?

I think there’s a decent argument he was better than Flowers. Certainly think he edges Robinson. Obviously all behind Big Brad.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kokkini said:

Never heard that one before! He was so good that most of us were shocked we were signing some Liverpool reserve called Friedel (lord forgive us, we weren't to know).

I suspect you might be thinking of, or conflated Filan with, Fettis. Who was utter dog shit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, m1st said:

Another one a bit off-topic - more Memory Lane than Summer Transfer Window 2019 - but another name I remember from the mid-60s, although I can't remember if I actually saw him play - it was A Level time & my Mum, in particular, kept my nose to the grindstone - was another Aussie keeper, John Roberts. I think he played a few games either in the 65/66 relegation season or the following season; our first back in Division Two.

There's something in a memory cell at the back of my brain telling me that not only was he the first Australian to play for us; he may have been the first Aussie to play in the Football League. But I couldn't swear to that.

Did a bit on him for the brsanz newsletter : bit long to post in this thread so sent you a PM with the article . Bits concerning Rovers below

As far as i could gather he was the first Aussie to play for us , and the first player from the New South Wales Federation to be transferred to an English League club. Cost Rovers AU$ 6000 (or the equiv of the aus pounds , shilling and pence at the time), and played 3 games * before going back to the club in Australia we signed him from on loan until the end of the season. He was then loaned out to Chesterfield for the following season, before being sold to Bradford at the start of the 68-69 season.

*Did find a couple of AU newspaper articles that mentioned him picking up an injury before going back to Australia  on loan.

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AdamRochina said:

big shame,   evans and smallwood must be looking good in training for us to pass on adam and holtby,   adams looked great by all accounts holtby we dont know what happend of course but im dissapointed about adam

I understood that Holtby had already agreed to go to Galatasary before he trained with us.

Our priority isn’t central midfield. I’m very pleased with the Johnson signing and with Travis/Buckley coming through, it’s hard to justify bringing Adam in. Don’t think we’ll regret that one if it falls through.

• Like 7

Real shame that about Forster if that's the case , he was the one in my opinion was the best of all mentioned , he's a bit like Hart in the fact he's been dropped form first team and trying to rebuild his career , but Hart as actually played games at Torino , West Ham and Burnley and hasn't been able to turn it around , Forster has spent the last 12-18months as a number 3 so has not had the chance to turn it around  , dropping down a division just might have done the trick for him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

I thought Filan was magnificent for Rovers, made some unbelievable saves.

Player of the Year 98/99?

I think there’s a decent argument he was better than Flowers. Certainly think he edges Robinson. Obviously all behind Big Brad.

Woy thought so!

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair, the quote was ‘he generally only ever brings in players from his previous clubs’.

He has also managed Gallagher before, only at his current club....

How can you "generally, only" sign players?  It's one or the other and the sense from the sentence is clear.  But thanks anyway.

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

How can you "generally, only" sign players?  It's one or the other and the sense from the sentence is clear.  But thanks anyway.

"generally"----with a few exceptions?

Just now, davulsukur said:

I hope we get the keeper deal wrapped up this week.

The first game of the season is closing in fast and we could do with the keeper coming in as soon as.

Agree. Can't have unrealistic expectations of reserve keepers at this level, but I think we've seen enough of Leutwiler to see that whilst he has good points, we want to keep him on the bench as much as we can.

I'd be absolutely delighted with Ruddy, but I think all the names mentioned would be entirely acceptable. Can't quite believe that so many are dead against Hart either. I know he's not at the same level as he has been, but look at how players like Pantilimon who are accident prone in the top flight look a different class in this league.

Just now, davulsukur said:

I hope we get the keeper deal wrapped up this week.

The first game of the season is closing in fast and we could do with the keeper coming in as soon as.

Totally agree need the keeper in quick to get an understanding with back four we currently have. 

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, 47er said:

"generally"----with a few exceptions?

Therefore 'only' doesn't fit. Generally and only don't work together.

A bit like saying 'sometimes often'.

Although I completely get the point you're making.

Edited by Mike E

9 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

Rumour has it he's had a nervous breakdown. Supposedly head and shoulders above Gunn and McCarthy in training but isn't able to reproduce it on a match day. How true that is I have no idea. But I think there's probably good reason he hasn't moved on before now. That said, if I was sat on a contract of £70k per week I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to move.

dont think it would help his nerves playing behind or back 4

• Like 5

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Therefore 'only' doesn't fit. Generally and only don't work together.

A bit like saying 'sometimes often'.

Although I completely get the point you're making.

Generally just means "in most cases", so "in most cases I would only" makes perfect sense. I think most people would understand that tbh, it seems really pedantic to call it out when the meaning is obvious.

I wouldn't be upset about Carson. I honestly never saw him play last season (probably because he barely featured) but hes a seasoned pro in a position that experience is a huge bonus and it's something that we probably need to help guide a number of younger players immediately in front of him

• Like 1

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

It's all well and good getting some experienced heads in, and I'm all for it, but the point still remains no matter how much experience is in the side, and no matter who is in goal, any team with Bennett & Bell as full backs will concede a lot of goals.

A new back 4 bar Leninhan is required don't think we will get 3 additions for Charlton game. And a new keeper. Depends on whether he uses loan signings to to bolster squad

• Like 1