BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JHRover said:

If the plan involves Sam Hart being in the team then something has gone wrong somewhere 

Well he is only young and did well on loan last season. Admittedly when I saw him in league 1 he looked lightweight and out of his depth but he's had time to improve since then.

9 minutes ago, neophox said:

Quite strange that we havent managed to get a goalie or a defender in by now with season starting in two weeks.

Not really, it's as expected. Ever since Mowbray came back from India it has been going one way with regards to new defenders.

I believe we are waiting for a generous Premier League club to send us a CB on loan for the season on the cheap. Good news for the money men, bad news for getting someone in now to establish at CB and organize around.

Just now, iSeeRed said:

Well he is only young and did well on loan last season. Admittedly when I saw him in league 1 he looked lightweight and out of his depth but he's had time to improve since then.

He was playing at Southend who survived in League One by the narrowest of margins. 

He'll be 23 later this year. Not really young.

If impressing in a few months at a rubbish League One team is enough for us we'd be better going after some players from Accy Stanley.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, neophox said:

Quite strange that we havent managed to get a goalie or a defender in by now with season starting in two weeks.

That's what is worrying me. It's been evident for a while they were needed

Just now, JHRover said:

He was playing at Southend who survived in League One by the narrowest of margins. 

He'll be 23 later this year. Not really young.

If impressing in a few months at a rubbish League One team is enough for us we'd be better going after some players from Accy Stanley.

Yeah fair enough. My point was we have three mediocre left-backs and only one mediocre right-back, making signing a new right-back a bigger priority.

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

What you’re asking for is unrealistic. Even if we’d signed two fullbacks, a cb and a new keeper on June 1st I’d be worried about them gelling for the start of this season.

Nyambe and Bell have potential and a year on, are certainly worth starting the season with. They have some more time imo.

It's probably unrealistic now, unless there's a lot been done in the background and more budget than we think. But it should have been a goal to bring in at least 2, I'd say 3, defenders this summer. This isn't a new expectation people are springing on the manager, it's what they've wanted all summer. It staggers me that some people truly think just one centre half and a different goalie will fix the woeful defence we had last season to a degree where we can expect playoffs. The vaunted new system may ease some pressure but I think people are forgetting just how many atrocious goals we conceded.

At this stage, we are probably going to have to accept one CB (having lost two). As long as that's a good centre half (and the goalie is good) I think we can expect around mid table to top 10. Then we will be lamenting our defensive options by the January window. Maybe we will reinforce there at that stage and kick on.

Someone who can effectively play either full back position would be ideal, but I accept they're very rare. Or a CB who can do a good enough job in one of the full back slots, to act as cover almost wherever for when injury or form necessitates a change. Like a better Williams.

Another problem with signing only one defender - what if they simply aren't as good as we expect, or they get injured? Yes all signings carry those risks, but it would leave us with last year's defence effectively, who weren't effective.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Not really, it's as expected. Ever since Mowbray came back from India it has been going one way with regards to new defenders.

I believe we are waiting for a generous Premier League club to send us a CB on loan for the season on the cheap. Good news for the money men, bad news for getting someone in now to establish at CB and organize around.

???? Yes, because Premier League centre back always come cheap!? It doesn’t matter how much it costs, especially as your second name isn’t Rao. The only thing that matters is that we improve.

As has already been said on here Villa gained promotion with 2 or 3 “cheap premier league cb loans”...

Just now, Paul Mani said:

???? Yes, because Premier League centre back always come cheap!? It doesn’t matter how much it costs, especially as your second name isn’t Rao. The only thing that matters is that we improve.

As has already been said on here Villa gained promotion with 2 or 3 “cheap premier league cb loans”...

Dean Smith spotted their weak areas and cured them whereas we appear to admit we are defensively unsound and then change our mind.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

It's probably unrealistic now, unless there's a lot been done in the background and more budget than we think. But it should have been a goal to bring in at least 2, I'd say 3, defenders this summer. This isn't a new expectation people are springing on the manager, it's what they've wanted all summer. It staggers me that some people truly think just one centre half and a different goalie will fix the woeful defence we had last season to a degree where we can expect playoffs. The vaunted new system may ease some pressure but I think people are forgetting just how many atrocious goals we conceded.

At this stage, we are probably going to have to accept one CB (having lost two). As long as that's a good centre half (and the goalie is good) I think we can expect around mid table to top 10. Then we will be lamenting our defensive options by the January window. Maybe we will reinforce there at that stage and kick on.

Someone who can effectively play either full back position would be ideal, but I accept they're very rare. Or a CB who can do a good enough job in one of the full back slots, to act as cover almost wherever for when injury or form necessitates a change. Like a better Williams.

Another problem with signing only one defender - what if they simply aren't as good as we expect, or they get injured? Yes all signings carry those risks, but it would leave us with last year's defence effectively, who weren't effective.

I would agree that we do need another couple of cb’s with Rodwell leaving too but I think they genuinely believe that Magloire can fill one of those spots. 

The fullback situation is simple to me. I wouldn’t sign another RB as I believe in Nyambe. I prob would look to get better than Bell but I do think there’s a player in there. So I can understand them not rushing to buy fullbacks.

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You're better off taking the risk and time to get the good enough players and allowing them time to 'gel' than persisting with players already shown to not be good enough. 

One might see a short term bedding in period followed by a longer term improvement. The other will almost certainly result in more dreadful defending and will hold back the team no matter how many forwards are collected.

Unless the defence is properly addressed both in personnel and coaching we aren't going upwards and signing a load of midfielders and forwards won't change that.

In any event we've lost a month of gelling already by not signing any defenders so far. The better managers can coach and gel numerous new players together quickly.

Totally agree. "Don't judge the manager on the transfer window yet, wait till its closed" I remember reading---often.

Now its too late to get in the defenders we knew we needed more than a year ago, according to the post you're quoting.

I said a while ago, TM has a charmed life with some, nothing is ever his fault and no blame ever is attached to him. Every excuse under the sun!

If its too late now why didn't he start the campaign earlier? That's not hard to follow is it?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

The window hasn’t shut yet...

So why did you say it was unrealistic to expect full-backs now then? 

You're all over the place on this one, except in one regard----anything the manager does is acceptable to you.

We really are not going all-out for promotion or even the play-offs are we because we haven't sorted out the defence and we won't? Keeper and centre-back not enough to plug all those leaks of last season.

Tony falls short but does just enough to make it look like he's trying. And you fall for it.

Edited by 47er
Honest typo
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Baffling to me that some are happy for us to essentially wait until the deadline to get players in, giving them no time to bed into the squad or have any kind of pre-season getting them used to their team mates and how we set up. Just throw them in the deep end and hope for the best. 

• Like 4

Just now, DE. said:

Baffling to me that some are happy for us to essentially wait until the deadline to get players in, giving them no time to bed into the squad or have any kind of pre-season getting them used to their team mates and how we set up. Just throw them in the deep end and hope for the best. 

I dont think anyone is happy with that approach, but its what happens to everyone except the super rich with transfer windows. Most of the time a ll relevant parties are holding about believing they can get better or more and so on it gos until the deadline arrives and people are forced to react and make a decision

Its not ideal, but this is modern football

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I would agree that we do need another couple of cb’s with Rodwell leaving too but I think they genuinely believe that Magloire can fill one of those spots. 

The fullback situation is simple to me. I wouldn’t sign another RB as I believe in Nyambe. I prob would look to get better than Bell but I do think there’s a player in there. So I can understand them not rushing to buy fullbacks.

Do you also believe in Bennett? And do you want to run with 'there's a player in there' all season at LB, with Derrick 'A Player Is Nowhere To Be Found At Left Back' Williams as the backup?

I can stomach us running with potential weakness on one flank, but not both.

There's also the issue that whilst you and I believe in Nyambe, it's under serious question whether TM does. He does, however, believe in Bennett, whose other positions have seen competition arrive since January. It seems likely Bennett will be first choice at RB at the start of the season and possibly much longer.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gary C said:

True we have until the 8th Of August to fine tune. 

Bringing in a new, reliable, keeper's a bit more than fine tuning, imo. The word 'crucial' springs to mind.

• Like 3

Just now, AdamRochina said:

Adam again scoring twice ..that's three goals and three assists this pre season with us ..he's got creativity none of our midfielders have including dack

A contract offer must still be possible, otherwise, he surely would not be getting so much game time. I would welcome him.

• Like 2