BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Mowbray has to be the only manager in world football, at any level, that spend circa 15 million on 3 strikers and then comes out and says nobody is playing down the middle. 

The season’s 3 weeks off and I’m already sick of his bullshit press conferences etc trying to sound clever. It’s championship football Tony, whip the ball into the box for your strikers and Dack to get on the end of.

Rather like the 1995 title winning team

Football is essentially a simple game which Mowbray is trying to make far too complicated. Guardiola he ain't

It starts by having a solid goalkeeper and defence. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Going off twitter it is Carson and Foderingham we are signing. Could be speculation, but if not I don't think anyone could say we haven't improved our goalkeeper situation. 

Just don’t think Foderingham would like to be a no 2 again, like it’s been said,can see if no 1 target doesn’t happen he would be plan B, Mowbray saying an experienced one and a young one, both Carson and Foderingham not exactly young, but would be happy if both signed.

Just now, OJRovers said:

Genuine question- I don’t watch them play, so could someone explain how Liverpool’s system works? Seems like Mowbray is try to copy it. 

They play with a high press. None of the front three play in the traditional striker role. Mane and Salah play as wide forwards and often cut inside, whilst Firmino plays as a false 9 linking the midfield trio to the front line. 

We sort of have the players to play the system, but not in terms of quality obviously. Dack would be the most likely to play the Firmino role, which I can see, but only if he does play deeper, allowing the two wide forwards to play more centrally. The natural fits for that role would be Gallagher and Armstrong; capable of playing wide, whilst also having the fire power to score goals through the middle (we hope).

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said exactly this in a post on page 436. I can't quote both posts for some reason. You actually say it regularly enough to be fair. Hence why a few posters have pulled you up on it! 

I commented once on page 436 to say that the outgoing wages of Downing, Reed and Palmer would go some way to offsetting the added wages of Downing and Johnson. 

I'm afraid you'll have to do better than that.

Where have I said that we wouldn't spend any money this summer? 

Just now, Neal said:

Yeah, the long and short of it is they have better players who are much quicker at pressing from the front than us. It won't work. 

So like:

DM-CM-DM

CF-CF-CF

could work with:

Johnson-Dack-Travis

Armstrong-Graham- Rothwell

Not sure that’s much different to what we play now!

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

So like:

DM-CM-DM

CF-CF-CF

could work with:

Johnson-Dack-Travis

They have a 'false 9' in Firmino, so it's more like WF - AM - WF.

We tried it last year with Dack through the middle and you could argue it ruined our season. We got battered off Preston because of it.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

I think Graham will be more and more plan b / sub if we were to do that.

Will be someone more mobile - not a target man (which I think TM means)

Rothwell/Breo - Gallagher - Armstrong/Rothwell

How will we replace Grahams goals and hold up play? In my opinion it's another frustrating aspect of Mowbray where he complicates things by (his own admission) over thinking. Half of our squad couldn't pass water and he wants to turn us into a total footballing team.

Nearly everybody could see our major weakness last season and he appears to be overlooking this now in favour of a major change in playing style. 

In my book it's madness.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Sounds good doesn't it

At the minute nobody playing down the middle looks like we will be playing minus a keeper and central defenders. Bloody hell Mowbray's got a degree in bullsh1t and the contradictions coming from him in the last 6 months have been truly mind blowing.  

Edited by TBTF

Just now, OJRovers said:

So like:

DM-CM-DM

CF-CF-CF

could work with:

Johnson-Dack-Travis

You can't play Dack in the position above, that needs to be holding mid.

He would be in Grahams position as the false 9.

If you're looking at Liverpool, they have Keita--Henderson--Fabinho across the middle. Liverpool also have astonishingly good full backs who contribute an awful lot to the attack. Keita and Fabinho presumably adopt a more defensive mindset to cover in when the full backs bomb forward.

Even taking things relatively (as in, i know we aren't playing at the same level as Liverpool) our full backs are no where near good enough to adopt that role.

To be honest i don't think we have the players in pretty much any position to adopt this style. It would also require a really high level of fitness if we are to be constantly pressing when out of possession, something that has been criticised a lot in the past.

• Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

You can't play Dack in the position above, that needs to be holding mid.

He would be in Grahams position as the false 9.

If you're looking at Liverpool, they have Keita--Henderson--Fabinho across the middle. Liverpool also have astonishingly good full backs who contribute an awful lot to the attack. Keita and Fabinho presumably adopt a more defensive mindset to cover in when the full backs bomb forward.

Even taking things relatively (as in, i know we aren't playing at the same level as Liverpool) our full backs are no where near good enough to adopt that role.

To be honest i don't think we have the players in pretty much any position to adopt this style. It would also require a really high level of fitness if we are to be constantly pressing when out of possession, something that has been criticised a lot in the past.

We need to play to our strengths and some of these tactics mentioned don't play to ours

On 16/07/2019 at 17:12, JHRover said:

Because it isn't sustainable. The manager himself has said in the past that plugging gaps with loans isn't the way he wants to do it. We get to January or next summer and it all starts over again. 

We wont spend money because we've used it up on Gallagher but it would be nice to treat the defence as seriously as we are treating the attack. 

Selling academy products under long term contract and replacing them with other clubs loans is not sensible nor sustainable. It's trying to solve problems on the cheap because we've this weird obsession with not paying for anyone in those positions.

I see you have added the piece about Gallagher. Did you do that in the last hour? That's a bit sneaky :)

Still, you said you didn't say we wouldn't spend money. Even the edited version above contradicts this. 

Just now, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

Without having read all the debate on the 'nobody through the middle' topic... could it just be as simple as he intends to play 2 upfront rather than 1. As in 2 running the channels instead of Graham up front on his own?

Exactly

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see you have added the piece about Gallagher. Did you do that in the last hour? That's a bit sneaky :)

Still, you said you didn't say we wouldn't spend money. Even the edited version above contradicts this. 

No, I didn't edit the bit about Gallagher. I said we'd used up the Raya money by buying Gallagher. Therefore we have spent but only what has been brought in through sales.

Nowhere have I said no money would be spent. Only that we would make sure all or the vast majority was brought back through sales.

I don't think we will see any money spent unless we sell someone else. Hence the focus now becoming loans which means we have to wait.

Happy to be proven wrong but my sales before buys expectation is spot on so far.

Interestingly I heard a name last night about a CB on loan who was playing in the Championship last season. No idea as to his capabilities but fits the loan model.

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Atkins' Bald Patch said:

Without having read all the debate on the 'nobody through the middle' topic... could it just be as simple as he intends to play 2 upfront rather than 1. As in 2 running the channels instead of Graham up front on his own?

Exactly. We have played 4-4-2 in pre-season and this would fit what he said. 

It's gas the wild conclusions and criticism about his comments. The funniest thing is some will now become fact. We will start to see posters reference some of these mad formations as reality and another reason to critisice. If indeed it is 4-4-2, you actually couldn't get more practical or back to basics. 

• Like 2

It's gas the wild conclusions and criticism about his comments. The funniest thing is some will now become fact. We will start to see posters reference some of these mad formations as reality and another reason to critisice. If indeed it is 4-4-2, you actually couldn't get more practical or back to basics. 

??? exactly and then when one of us highlights the absolute lunacy there will be the standard “I don’t think anyone has actually said that” nonsense..

• Like 1

Or it could be a 433 without a Target man so that they are interchangeable (like Liverpool). This is perfectly feasible so long as you aren’t going direct into the likes of DG which is what Mowbray spoke about.

The only question about 433 is how does it suit Dack? Other than that, I like it.

• Moderation Lead

To be fair, if anyone says 'I don't think anyone has actually said that', then there are plenty of people that spend enough time on here to trawl through the thread and find a post to prove their point.....

• Like 2

If it is 4-4-2 then we'd better start signing some wingers pretty quickly.

There's only Chapman (untested in the Championship and injury prone) and Downing (35) as proper wingers at the club.

• Moderation Lead

I have seen no reports that he had a history of injuries before we signed him.  

He was injured for most of last season on loan and also I found this after a 30 second Google search: 

'However, in November 2016 he picked up an injury that would lead him to the end of his loan spell with the Blades in January 2017. It was agreed on 31 January 2017 that his loan spell would be renewed and he would rejoin the Blades upon his rehabilitation.'