BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, K-Hod said:

So, just to confirm, you don't rate Derrick Williams? I don't think I've seen you reference that before.....

He's not wrong though. Watch back all the goals we conceded and look for what Williams is doing during them. I lost count of the times he was partly or entirely at fault. Poor positioning was a common theme. Did surprisingly well at CB.

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead
Just now, bluebruce said:

He's not wrong though. Watch back all the goals we conceded and look for what Williams is doing during them. I lost count of the times he was partly or entirely at fault. Poor positioning was a common theme. Did surprisingly well at CB.

Oh no, I agree, I think he's really poor at full back, but strangely thought he looked okay at centre half!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Why on earth do you think we need another central midfielder? We need that like we need a bigger stadium.

I’m with him to be fair.

We need another cos we only have 2 that I’d class as anything above crap in Travis and Johnson. Evans is wank and Davenport’s a sick note.

Even thought we've got more midfielders than season ticket holders... i'd still be tempted to get Charlie Adam on a short term deal.

Stoke fans seem to rate him, and if we're going to be playing 4-3-3 he could be a good option, we're not blessed with a lot of creative midfielders or goals from midfield.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

I’m with him to be fair.

We need another cos we only have 2 that I’d class as anything above crap in Travis and Johnson. Evans is wank and Davenport’s a sick note.

Could we get a better 3rd choice CM than we currently have? Yes. Is it a priority? Absolutely not. It's the last position on the pitch that currently needs help. If we get rid of some of CMs 3 through 10 (yes, it's 10 potentially now) then I'm all for it. Otherwise it's a criminal misallocation of resources.

48 minutes ago, Biz said:

Whoa - chill. None of this changes my opinion that there’s far too much presumption of incompetence and/or expectation of dodgy business!

While I don’t think Mowbray is either dodgy or incompetent, those are two words that Venky’s are going to have to go a long way to shake off.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I'd still take Reed back, then grab Carson, this young lad on loan and then another centre half on loan and we're laughing..

Think we all would but between him and his missus, dont think its going to happen. 

I would imagine he is surplus to requirements now at Southampton though having been left behind for their training camp. Will be a good signing for anyone that stumps up the few million to get him.

Just now, Miller11 said:

While I don’t think Mowbray is either dodgy or incompetent, those are two words that Venky’s are going to have to go a long way to shake off.

Neigh arguments there.

I would add - recent history is a better barometer for near future, and thus I’d be shocked to see “none-footballing” reasons come into decisions with the current structure!

Thus - my main worry “is Tony good enough?” and what a relief to be focused on actual things the fans of well run clubs think about!

As for that question, I think this is the biggest test yet (this season) and I’d argue we are a good GK and CB away from an exciting team. A far cry from the day Mawbs took the job!

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't think you can blame anybody for being suspicious of the club considering our recent history. The fact remains a lot of dodgy shit has gone down under Venky's ownership and that stench will, imo at least, be on the club for as long as they are around. It's no reflection on the manager, the staff or any of the players, it's a reflection on the owners and the turmoil they put both the clubs and the fans through over the past nine largely disastrous years. Hiring Owen "SEM who?" Coyle in 2016 was one of those things which got everybody's backs up after a few years of relative normalcy, although that period also coincided with cash flow issues so everyone was quite rightly on edge during and since that time. 

With that said I don't think there's anything dodgy going on as far as our current business is concerned. Mowbray obviously has a fairly narrow assortment of contacts he trusts, mainly links to previous clubs and players, so we're seeing a lot of names that can be joined together in one way or another. Meanwhile the two sets of auditors coming in a couple of summers ago seems to have put the club on a more stable financial path, although ultimately it's still a loss-making enterprise propped up by wealthy owners. Not too dissimilar to most clubs though, so not necessarily anything to be concerned about at this point in time. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Probably Nyambe before he fell out of favour. But I certainly wouldn't say Bell he's a centre back's nightmare, a full back who doesn't attempt to stop crosses coming into the box. Bell and Bennett were our worst 2 defenders last season.

Nyambe was marigally better defensively , without the goals and assists. 

Ya, Bell had some shockers, no doubt. It's not even the issue with stopping crosses I think is his biggest weakness. It's headering the ball. He can't. 

That left side in general between him and Mulgrew was a serious weakness. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Think we all would but between him and his missus, dont think its going to happen. 

I would imagine he is surplus to requirements now at Southampton though having been left behind for their training camp. Will be a good signing for anyone that stumps up the few million to get him.

If we were to play with wing backs I think Reed could be a great option there.

Just now, Russ said:

If we were to play with wing backs I think Reed could be a great option there.

Thats part of the reason he wont come back. He sees himself as a midfielder and thats where he wants to play. Being played out of position so much will not have endeared to him no matter how professional he is and did what was asked. The year before he played primarily as RB for Norwich.

He could be a decent wingback for sure - certainly has the engine for it. Just dont think he would like it.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Oh no, I agree, I think he's really poor at full back, but strangely thought he looked okay at centre half!

I think the context of a few dead rubbers and comparing him to his previous very low level, he's pulling an optical illusion on you.....

Just now, pick32 said:

In for Glen Whelan if davenport’s injury is a bad one.

Really hope not. Rather take Adam. Think we should be loaning Smallwood out too before we need any additions though.