BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
Just now, neophox said:

Would have liked an experienced player like Cahill or Vermaelen in on a free to play with Lenihan. 

You paying their wages lad? ?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

2010-11 last time we won an opening day, just before these idiots rocked up.

It's no coincidence that we haven't won an opening day game since, and this season will be no different.

1-1 written all over it.

Yep...

Rovers 1-2 Wolves

Ipswich 1-1 Rovers

Derby 1-1 Rovers

Rovers 1-1 Cardiff

Rovers 1-2 Wolves (again)

Rovers 1-4 Norwich (thanks Owen)

Southend 2-1 Rovers

Ipswich 2-2 Rovers

So in eight of the last nine years we've only managed one goal on the opening day of the season. On the plus side we've never failed to score on the opening day since the 11-12 season, on the negative side we haven't won any of those matches and we've conceded at least one in every match too. 

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Could well be "Andy" though.

Think we may get a new keeper tomorrow.  Why? A gut feeling because fate determined that I went to watch the Keeper this evening (an excellent film about the life of Bert Trautman).  Secondly the new away kit is being launched in Rovers shop tomorrow.  

I know, I have a cup that’s half full.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, neophox said:

Think Adrian is the best keeper available on a free otherwise you have to pay.

“Otherwise you have too pay” a post earlier you said you’d have liked Cahill or Vermaelen on a free? They might be free but you think there would ever be a 1% chance of signing either of those two with the wages they’d want? They’d cost a shit tonne over a year or two years. Not a bloody chance. Adrian on the other hand, probably slightly more chance than 1%. But Cahill or Vermaelen? Laughable ?

39 minutes ago, neophox said:

Think Adrian is the best keeper available on a free otherwise you have to pay.

All comes down to wages available surely.

Adrian might be the best player available. But he will likely be looking for Premier League wages. Probably well over £50,000 a week.

Personally think we should sign Scott Carson or John Ruddy, and also sign Jordan Archer as the younger keeper.

Let the more senior keeper duke it out with the younger one for the Number 1# jersey and their combined wages will likely be less than Adrian.

If we can secure two quality keepers like that we can move on Jayson Leutwiler and keep Andy Fisher as our Number #3 keeper. We look tidier in the goalkeeping department.

• Like 2

Just now, RovingRover said:

All comes down to wages available surely.

Adrian might be the best player available. But he will likely be looking for Premier League wages. Probably well over £50,000 a week.

Personally think we should sign Scott Carson or John Ruddy, and also sign Jordan Archer as the younger keeper.

Let the more senior keeper duke it out with the younger one for the Number 1# jersey and their combined wages will likely be less than Adrian.

If we can secure two quality keepers like that we can move on Jayson Leutwiler and keep Andy Fisher as our Number #3 keeper. We look tidier in the goalkeeping department.

I like the cut of your Jib sir.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

But there wasn't a problem last year John when we bought Rothwell, Armstrong and Brereton. The vast majority of transfers are settled with staged payments so the reality is that it is likely we have had to pay instalments for the aforementioned between the end of the season and start of the new one.

We’ve had the consultants in in the meantime Tony, so they may have put new cash flow guidelines in place (I’d love one of their reports to leak into the public domain). They wouldn’t have been doing their jobs properly if they hadn’t highlighted the financial benefits of sell early, buy late in the window.

Just by the way.

One of the keepers we were considering to replace Raya (who I'm certain the club knew was always going to be leaving from the moment Brentford were linked with him) was Barnsley (at the time) goalkeeper Adam Davies. But Stoke did some pretty good double-business early on for him and Liam Lindsay.

Another player Rovers have been keeping an eye on is Portsmouth winger Ronan Curtis. But I think the club are going to leave that one until later if they do decide to go for him.

Just by the way.

One of the keepers we were considering to replace Raya (who I'm certain the club knew was always going to be leaving from the moment Brentford were linked with him) was Barnsley (at the time) goalkeeper Adam Davies. But Stoke did some pretty good double-business early on for him and Liam Lindsay.

Another player Rovers have been keeping an eye on is Portsmouth winger Ronan Curtis. But I think the club are going to leave that one until later if they do decide to go for him.

I can see why Rovers would be interested in Curtis but the reason we probably haven't gone for him yet as that he would be the 600th midfielder at Rovers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

I can see why Rovers would be interested in Curtis but the reason we probably haven't gone for him yet as that he would be the 600th midfielder at Rovers. 

When you cut out the forwards re-appropriated for wing duty, what are you left with?

- Harry Chapman

- Elliott Bennett

- Stewart Downing

Remember what the owners and manager have said countless times. Bring in young players and work them up.

Chapman has the capability to be a good winger. But it comes down to his fitness.
That leaves Bennett (31 in December) and Downing (34 last month).

Even when you include re-appropriated forwards converted into wingers, Adam Armstrong and Ben Brereton. They are very reliant on cutting in-field/into the box and leave us very one dimensional on the wings.

People joke about Rovers having too many midfielders. I agree to an extent. But I would say we have too much of a particular kind of midfielders, but seriously lack in other areas. Namely wingers who can run down the touchline and create something. Or keep the ball in the corner for time.

We also lack wingers who have pace, which is why I suggested playing Bell out wide midfield on occasion last season.

A wing option who has pace and trickery wouldn't hurt. Granted nor would moving on Smallwood and Evans.

When you cut out the forwards re-appropriated for wing duty, what are you left with?

- Harry Chapman

- Elliott Bennett

- Stewart Downing

Remember what the owners and manager have said countless times. Bring in young players and work them up.

Chapman has the capability to be a good winger. But it comes down to his fitness.
That leaves Bennett (31 in December) and Downing (34 last month).

Even when you include re-appropriated forwards converted into wingers, Adam Armstrong and Ben Brereton. They are very reliant on cutting in-field/into the box and leave us very one dimensional on the wings.

People joke about Rovers having too many midfielders. I agree to an extent. But I would say we have too much of a particular kind of midfielders, but seriously lack in other areas. Namely wingers who can run down the touchline and create something. Or keep the ball in the corner for time.

We also lack wingers who have pace, which is why I suggested playing Bell out wide midfield on occasion last season.

A wing option who has pace and trickery wouldn't hurt. Granted nor would moving on Smallwood and Evans.

I don't disagree with most of that. I think signing this lad will depend on this 352 experiment that's rumoured to be raising its head again. Can't imagine he will be cheap? Personally, I don't care where any player plays just as long as he makes our first 11 better. Priority right now has to be GK & CB right now though. 

Just now, Neal said:

I don't disagree with most of that. I think signing this lad will depend on this 352 experiment that's rumoured to be raising its head again. Can't imagine he will be cheap? Personally, I don't care where any player plays just as long as he makes our first 11 better. Priority right now has to be GK & CB right now though. 

Wouldn't surprise me if he had a release clause if the opportunity presented itself if a club came in with a sufficient offer from a higher division.

His contract with Portsmouth expires June next year.

Agree with you though of course on the GK and CB positions being priority. Still need more work beyond sorting out those positions in my opinion. Left-back for instance still bothers me.

19 hours ago, BG1492 said:

Charlie Adam just been on Talksport. They asked him about his future and he said he hopes something will be sorted within the next week, “few clubs interested”.

Pretty much saying that Maguire should go on strike to get a transfer. Very professional and respectful to their late owner that would be. ?

Sounds like a great attitude to have around. At least it's unlikely to be Ewood.

Edited by Vinjay17
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Before she died crossing the road because her change was wrong and they gave her the wrong pies ?

Possibly. The fact is we need reinforcements the season is getting close and the away kits minging. Come on you blues.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Il put my neck on the line and say we will play hard and get a keeper by tomorrow night...

There was talk of reinforcements before the rangers game so something likely you would hope

Just now, Gary C said:

There was talk of reinforcements before the rangers game so something likely you would hope

Should’ve been at least a couple in yesterday but same as Gallagher it’s dragged. He was announced last Saturday so I’m hoping it’s just their announcing day. There were players in the building yesterday certainly 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Should’ve been at least a couple in yesterday but same as Gallagher it’s dragged. He was announced last Saturday so I’m hoping it’s just their announcing day. There were players in the building yesterday certainly 

Any names