BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Is that Henderson going back on loan to Sheff Utd ? He would be a surprise after his antics at Shrewsbury ! 

Yeah sounds like he going back on load to the Blades. 

• Like 1

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

I seem to remember one our Scandanavian posters speculating about a 6'8" Norwegian keeper who had Bundesliga experience.

I've long thought that it wouldn't be unrealistic to poach a goalkeeper from the Bundsliga or Bundesliga 2.

Just now, Neal said:

I've long thought that it wouldn't be unrealistic to poach a goalkeeper from the Bundsliga or Bundesliga 2.

I agree wages in the Bundesliga (other than the top couple of teams) are similar to the Championship.

I genuinely don’t think our number one target is Carson you know. If it were that link would be strong by now and being talked about on both sides. Interesting. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

Yes, it's a high quality league (both divisions) which hasn't been blighted by inflated wages. The post was quite a while back (before Raya went) and I can't remember the player or club unfortunately but I did google him and he had a decent pedigree. I wouldn't be opposed to us taking a punt on a keeper like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

imagine the outrage amongst those who doubt our 'European Scouting Network'! It would be worth doing a Huddersfield kit sponsor story, just for the schitz and giggles..

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

I've mentioned André Hansen earlier, he is keen on playing in a better league. Was voted best player in Norway last year, also has experience from the National team and Euro League. The keepers we have with Bundesliga experience is Jarstein (first choice at Hertha) and Nyland (now at Villa, injured).

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 1

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

One of my favourite keepers - on the whole we have been very lucky with goalkeepers

From Wikipedia:

James Alexander Arnold (born 6 August 1950) is an English former football goalkeeper, noted for his highly intelligent positional ability. He made 165 league appearances in a seventeen-year career in the Football League.[2]

He arrived in the professional game in 1979, at the late age of 29, when he signed with Blackburn Rovers from Stafford Rangers. Two years, one promotion out of the Third Division, and 58 league appearances later, he moved on to Everton. He spent four years as Everton's back-up keeper, as the club won the First Division title and the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. 

• Like 2

Just now, Swanson said:

I've mentioned André Hansen earlier, he is keen on playing in a better league. Was voted best player in Norway last year, also has experience from the National team and Euro League. The keepers we have with Bundesliga experience is Jarstein (first choice at Hertha) and Nyland (now at Villa, injured).

It must have been you that posted the link! I think it was Hansen that you mentioned and you maybe included a video or picture?

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For what it's worth, Sharpe thinks Rankin-Costello will be the youngster to make a real breakthrough this season. Wasn't he the one Dunny singled out a couple years ago as being the one to go on to big things too?

He was touted a bit back but had a bad injury I think. Looked decent as a RB on Wednesday night, very comfortable on the ball, fast, agile, can pass with both feet and tackle.

The only thing I think he lacks (similar to a few others like Buckley) is strength / power!

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

I notice Michael Morrison has joined Reading on a free transfer after leaving Birmingham. Was their captain last season.

Cant help but think that should have been one for us. No nonsense, no frills, free transfer, experienced CB who was a captain elsewhere in this league.

Trouble is it wouldn't be viewed as a sexy signing as he wouldn't be coming on loan from Man City or Liverpool and he wouldn't be a project for Mowbray to develop. He would be a ready made player who would expect to go into the team. No good for us.

• Like 1

Rankin-Costello will appeal to TM as he can play just about anywhere.

This post from under the piece in the LT came from our very own poster SkipDonohoe who obviously knows a lot about players at that level:

SkipDonoghue1 hr ago

J-RC can play in almost every position on the pitch apart from GK and make that position his own, this is all down to understanding the game and role on the pitch, its a talent that is rare in most players
While at Utd in the junior ranks he was used as a occasional right back and mostly in centre mid, both holding and box to box but he did play every where even centre forward, for them, 
he came to Rovers as a centre half as at the time that's what Rovers were looking for but it wasn't long before he was pushed back into his midfield role, but even while with u23s he has played LB, RB, RWB, CH, CAM, Holding Mid, RW, LW, and CF at different times, I dont think there is a player in the pro game as versatile
  • Like 2

Just now, danger19_80 said:

No announcements today according to Sharpe. Reckons two keepers and City kid is our business done by and large.

Very disappointing if so. Mowbray and the staff will have a lot of work to do to coach the team to defend better. 

Nothing ever moves quickly with us does it? Be Monday at the earliest for a GK then - even less time to work as a defensive unit.

Also very, very concerning if our business is done after the GK's/Citeh youngster come in. Not bringing in an experienced CB would be suicidal IMO.TM is surely not that dumb; it would only add to the theory around the V's not willing to pay decent cash for a defender. Be interesting to hear him get grilled if we don't sign a CB (loans excluded) at the next fans forum...

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

Just now, deryck guyler's spoon said:

It must have been you that posted the link! I think it was Hansen that you mentioned and you maybe included a video or picture?

Yes that seems to be right.

Edited by Swanson
  • Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

Trouble is it wouldn't be viewed as a sexy signing as he wouldn't be coming on loan from Man City or Liverpool and he wouldn't be a project for Mowbray to develop. He would be a ready made player who would expect to go into the team. No good for us.

Like Johnson?

If ‘defenders are coming’ turns into one young loanee then that’s a big choice the club has chosen to make.

Raya was the main culprit of our appalling defence must be their thinking. Well on their head be it.

• Like 8

Just now, Mattyblue said:

If ‘defenders are coming’ turns into one young loanee then that’s a big choice the club has chosen to make.

Raya was the main culprit of our appalling defence must be their thinking. Well on their head be it.

Yes. I'll bow to Mowbray's decision making as he's the boss and in control of recruitment (allegedly). But if we don't see a defensive improvement my patience will be exhausted. It's his choice how to play it, he knows the consequences. I'm amazed to be honest after how his time at Coventry unfolded.

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It's either:

- 'Raya's fault' in TM's eyes
- Williams/Lenihan 'form' at the end of the season has completely fooled TM
- Venky's not willing to sanction half decent cash buys for defenders

Either way, 69 goals against ain't gonna drastically improve with the addition of a 21 year old who has played the majority of his senior football as a right back. As I say, suicidal if we don't bring in an experienced head at the back and there will be no hiding place for anyone.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Sounds like the sort of player we should be looking at. Surely if this scouting team that TM has out together has anything about them they should be suggesting players like him. 

Edited by Neal