BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I know most on here won’t agree, probably not bothered unless we’re spending millions on new players, but the young talent Rovers are bringing on is excellent, not only that but signing them on long contracts as young Travis has just done.

This latest bunch, Buckley, Butterworth, Travis, Magloire etc is great news for Rovers fans and proving that the money invested in the academy is working.

We are going to have to get used to the idea of bringing these youngsters through and buying one or two experienced ones as well,as the way forward, and if we have to cash in now and again,so be it, because I’ll tell you now Buckley will end up with one of the big boys for a lot of dosh.

• Like 4

I wonder why the Martinez deal didn't work out? Surely down to wages. The Forster link was never going to happen. I read the other day he is on £70,000 a week. Unless Southampton were to pay him something like 2 years of his 4 year deal and for him to take a payout and come here, that was never a runner. All very unrealistic scenarios. 

The issue I have now is that I think we needed a big, vocal and experienced keeper. Walton is big, not sure if he is vocal but I would have preferred someone more experienced. If we aren't going to sign a vocal keeper who can organise things, I don't see how it is an improvement on Raya and the defense in general. 

It's just even psychologically, I think an experienced keeper would help us. I would take Carson now in a heart beat. I would also even take Hart to be honest. 

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers have bids in for players Matty. I have no names just that we have bids in. Source wont say any more. 

I'm pleased that there is no leaks from us. Its good then we can hopefully get our targets in. 

Seems like 50% of the forum has "sources" at the club these days so on the surface there's more leaks than ever! Or more people talking shit than ever. Might be that one actually.

• Like 7

When are the two lads getting announced today then? A further delay surely wouldn’t be good news.

Hoping Walton is a loan to buy otherwise it’s very short sighted by the club. Our scouting department really does leave a lot to be desired though let’s be honest. Be nice to see some fruits of its labour soon.

11 minutes ago, unsall said:

Have you seen our debt, well over 100 mil, they invest every month just to keep us going, have  you been keeping up with Bolton, must be heartbreaking for their fans, not sure what you mean saying they don’t invest, doesn’t matter how much people hate the owners, the truth is we need them more than they need us, sometimes it’s better the devil you know.

Their name is over the door the buck stops with them, more so if as some believe the debt is secured against their assets in India so by my reckoning it's sell for what you can get back, liquidate ( which would open up all sorts of issues for them publically )  or keep the wheels turning. Thankfully they seem able to do that and even to the point of it seems to suit their accounting process.

Think we need to step away from the generosity angle though as yet again i'll remind everyone of what was happening in the last year of Bowyers tenure and beyond.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Seems like 50% of the forum has "sources" at the club these days so on the surface there's more leaks than ever! Or more people talking shit than ever. Might be that one actually.

Without meaning to have a go at Chaddy, he has form for believing people on Twitter with very spurious credentials. So his source isn't one I'm going to pay any attention to unless it starts coming up with info that actually pans out.

(And no Chaddy, I'm not saying you're using a Twitter source this time, just that I think you're a lot happier to accept rumours at face value than I am)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

Walton and Adarabioyo set to sign today.

We will then look at what is left within the budget and see what we can get with the remaining budget with an experienced goalkeeper being the key and then a centre back if the budget stretches that far.

Walton must be plan 'B'. He wasn't on the radar a few weeks ago. I think he is just contingency in case the number one target eventually falls through, which seems possible as it's been dragging on so long.

Explains why the Walton deal is possibly only a loan. He might not be needed.

Priorities seem upside down to me so far. Should have been CB at all costs then see how far the budget stretches to other areas. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

@footballagent on Twitter, ain’t it?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, unsall said:

I know most on here won’t agree, probably not bothered unless we’re spending millions on new players, but the young talent Rovers are bringing on is excellent, not only that but signing them on long contracts as young Travis has just done.

This latest bunch, Buckley, Butterworth, Travis, Magloire etc is great news for Rovers fans and proving that the money invested in the academy is working.

We are going to have to get used to the idea of bringing these youngsters through and buying one or two experienced ones as well,as the way forward, and if we have to cash in now and again,so be it, because I’ll tell you now Buckley will end up with one of the big boys for a lot of dosh.

Bit of a daft comment. 

Anyone would want good players, regardless of where they come from, surely? If they’re academy products, even better, saves on the transfer fees!

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

This isn’t good , I can only assume that things really haven’t went to plan. Certainly Walton is one that’s just been worked on very recently and to my belief after our number one target became non viable. Martínez was the name I was given, loan to buy. Was progressing nicely but went quiet, I can only assume it hit a roadblock that wasn’t sortable. Not at all pleased with Walton and Eastwood if that’s what it turns out to be 

I believe the 'roadblock' was signing Gallagher. It used up budget that was earmarked for a GK.

Mowbray expected to get the green light from Venky's for both signings but that hasn't materialised so far. Not saying it won't eventually

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think it is going to take a bid around 5 or 6 million pounds to get at least. If we cant get him Then I would look at Kyle Bartley at WBA 

I admire your optimism Chaddy but shopping at B&M for a keeper having had to sell the previous one to finance the Gallagher deal doesn't cry out to me that we have £6m left to spend  but then again ………...the Brereton surprise last year !!!!!

2 minutes ago, unsall said:

What a silly comment.

Ive never come across a Rovers fan that doesn’t LOVE seeing young lads coming through the academy.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Swanson said:

So no chance of Martinez now then?

I wouldn’t think so if Walton comes in, can say that Walton wasn’t considered until very recently so a few deals haven’t come off. Doesn’t look very good on our recruitment to be selling our keeper without having something more solid in place. Don’t think we have reached many of our targets this summer to be honest

• Like 6

Just now, K-Hod said:

Bit of a daft comment. 

Anyone would want good players, regardless of where they come from, surely? If they’re academy products, even better, saves on the transfer fees!

Indeed. Problem is we don't really know what we've got in the academy for the most part, as we haven't seen them tested in this league beyond a cameo or two. Seems a very promising batch, but we can't afford to rely on them for next season yet. That's what Unsall is missing about why people want new signings.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I believe the 'roadblock' was signing Gallagher. It used up budget that was earmarked for a GK.

Mowbray expected to get the green light from Venky's for both signings but that hasn't materialised so far. Not saying it won't eventually

I know I might be sounding a bit left field, but maybe the players we wanted aren’t / or haven’t signed for us for reasons other than our budget?

It might sound crazy, but doesn’t this happen at every club, every season? You get some targets, you miss others?

• Like 2

Just now, Biz said:

I know I might be sounding a bit left field, but maybe the players we wanted aren’t / or haven’t signed for us for reasons other than our budget?

It might sound crazy, but doesn’t this happen at every club, every season? You get some targets, you miss others?

But why sell your keeper before you have secured a replacement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Thanks for a very sensible assessment of the position we are in.  I totally agree with everything you say.  I'm sure a few years ago both Bolton and Bury fans were saying someone will buy us - and they did and look where they are now.  Slow and steady progress may not be exciting but I'm more than happy to keep on that path rather than gamble the future of the club away.  As you say, massive mistakes were made early on but we can't alter that - the past is the past - we can only look to the future and, sadly, our income streams mean we are always going to be up against it with regard to FFP.

In 2015/16 - the season before Mowbray arrived, we finished 15th in the Championship.

In 2018/19, after two and a half seasons with Mowbray in charge, we finished 15th in the Championship.

We are NOT progressing!  When will the penny drop?

If Mowbray gets us any higher than 15th this coming season, I would be extremely surprised.

We've lost a goalie with far more potential than wither Walton or Eastwood and signed Gallagher for £5million because I think Mowbray spunked £7+million away on Brereton.

For me, an underwhelming window so far and that's being generous.

• Like 3

Way I see it, not much difference between Raya and Walton.

If we get Walton in with a view to buy in a year if he does well that's good business in my book. If he doesn't excel, can easily move onto other targets in  a year.

Not an awful situation given it sounds like we've missed out on a few targets before Walton.

Then it's just a case of how the £3m from Raya is spent. If we end up getting a CB in on a permanent, pretty sure we'll be better overall as a result of Raya leaving and that was the biggest area of concern judging from reactions on here!

• Like 1

Just now, jones_rover said:

Way I see it, not much difference between Raya and Walton.

If we get Walton in with a view to buy in a year if he does well that's good business in my book. If he doesn't excel, can easily move onto other targets in  a year.

Not an awful situation given it sounds like we've missed out on a few targets before Walton.

Then it's just a case of how the £3m from Raya is spent. If we end up getting a CB in on a permanent, pretty sure we'll be better overall as a result of Raya leaving and that was the biggest area of concern judging from reactions on here!

A lot of if's there.

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

There is an agreed amount that TM and Waggott were happy to work with, they have then further supplemented that with the sale of Raya.  

I much prefer this approach where we are spending what we can realistically afford rather than the uncontrolled spending of the past.

Personally, I would have liked for the defence to reinforced before buying a striker but these are decisions made by TM and he will live or die by them if he gets it wrong,

I think he dropped a huge b0ll0ck with Brereton at £7+million with commensurate wages.

We are scraping around in the dregs of the market, IMO.

Yet Mowbray is still here.

IMO, he doesn't know the market and he can't work the market.  I think it's plain to see. 

Just now, Mercer said:

In 2015/16 - the season before Mowbray arrived, we finished 15th in the Championship.

In 2018/19, after two and a half seasons with Mowbray in charge, we finished 15th in the Championship.

If Mowbray gets us any higher than 15th this coming season, I would be extremely surprised.

We've lost a goalie with far more potential than wither Walton or Eastwood and signed Gallagher for £5million because I think Mowbray spunked £7+million away on Brereton.

Post of the day

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

But why sell your keeper before you have secured a replacement?

It’s not always that simple. Raya May have forced it to the extent where he would be unsettled. They may have had ample choice at that time. I don’t know the full ins and outs, hence why I’d try not to be too close minded about how and why it happened.

Just now, Mercer said:

Using two stats in isolation to prove a point rarely reflects well on the opinion from my experience.

I mean, simply putting in a few elements of what TM inherited compared to what he’s got now would put more meat on the bone.

Its a far cry from Coyles Barmy donut Loan army, in my humble opinion.

• Like 5