BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Quote on Walton "Not saying he's awful by any stretch of the imagination, but imho he doesn't command his area all that well, he's reluctant to come off his line and take the ball, and his distribution lacks ambition at times" from the Wigan board.

He sounds exactly like the player we need to improve on our goalkeeper who didn't command his area all that well and whose distribution lacked ambition at times

33 minutes ago, Biz said:

Using two stats in isolation to prove a point rarely reflects well on the opinion from my experience.

I mean, simply putting in a few elements of what TM inherited compared to what he’s got now would put more meat on the bone.

Its a far cry from Coyles Barmy donut Loan army, in my humble opinion.

Last season, there were eight players from the Coyle era who started at least 23 league games (half a season) or more:

Raya, Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Bennett, Evans and Graham (Mulgrew, Williams & Graham being Coyle permanant signings).

Add to that list Gallagher who Coyle brought in on loan and who now Mowbray has just splashed £5million.

I would also point out that the plethora of Aacademy talent eg Travis, Butterwoth, Buckley, Magloire etc etc was all here when Mowbray arrived and has been developed by Johnno.  

Perhaps Coyle wasn't quite the 'donut' you think.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Quote on Walton "Not saying he's awful by any stretch of the imagination, but imho he doesn't command his area all that well, he's reluctant to come off his line and take the ball, and his distribution lacks ambition at times" from the Wigan board.

He sounds exactly like the player we need to improve on our goalkeeper who didn't command his area all that well and whose distribution lacked ambition at times

Nah. The guy who left's distribution was nothing short of dogshit ?

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He was 

Look, Coyle didn't deliver at Rovers but by and large, much of last season's team and promising Academy youngsters were all here when Mowbray arrived.

Mowbray has given us Dack with Rothwell also showing much promise.  Other than that, his player trading, IMO, is p1ss poor - £7+million spunked away on Brereton, Raya sold only to see Walton and possibly Eastwood to come in to replace, add an array of over 30's in Downing, Johnson and possibly Adam and it's stuff that doesn't get my pulse racing.

Just now, Mercer said:

Last season, there were eight players from the Coyle era who started at least 23 league games (half a season) or more:

Raya, Nyambe, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Williams, Bennett, Evans and Graham (Mulgrew, Williams & Graham being Coyle permanant signings).

Add to that list Gallagher who Coyle brought in on loan and who now Mowbray has just splashed £5million.

I would also point out that the plethora of Aacademy talent eg Travis, Butterwoth, Buckley, Magloire etc etc was all here when Mowbray arrived and has been developed by Johnno.  

Except for that bit about taking us down to the 3rd tier, with 8 of the players who kept us up comfortably last season.

• Like 1

This is how I think Mowbray sees our pecking order in terms of defenders (providing we do land Adarabioyo).

Right back: Bennett, Adarabioyo, Nyambe

Left back: Bell, Downing, Williams, Hart

Centre Back: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Adarabioyo, Nyambe

A lack of quality defenders and baffling loyalty to the likes of Bennett will be our downfall. I’d love Nyambe to nail down his place and Adarabioyo and Hart to provide a nice surprise, but without a real quality centre back coming in we are in trouble. That’s a relegation defence.

• Like 8

Just now, Mercer said:

Look, Coyle didn't deliver at Rovers but by and large, much of last season's team and promising Academy youngsters were all here when Mowbray arrived.

Mowbray has given us Dack with Rothwell also showing much promise.  Other than that, his player trading, IMO, is p1ss poor - £7+million spunked away on Brereton, Raya sold only to see Walton and possibly Eastwood to come in to replace, add an array of over 30's in Downing, Johnson and possibly Adam and it's stuff that doesn't get my pulse racing.

Wait you don't like the Brereton deal you should have said. 

The picture you paint of us finishing 15th then 15th a few years later conveniently misses out the coyle spell where he all but relegated the club so no your wrong he was 100% doughnut. 

• Like 4

Just now, Miller11 said:

This is how I think Mowbray sees our pecking order in terms of defenders (providing we do land Adarabioyo).

Right back: Bennett, Adarabioyo, Nyambe

Left back: Bell, Downing, Williams, Hart

Centre Back: Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Adarabioyo, Nyambe

A lack of quality defenders and baffling loyalty to the likes of Bennett will be our downfall. I’d love Nyambe to nail down his place and Adarabioyo and Hart to provide a nice surprise, but without a real quality centre back coming in we are in trouble. That’s a relegation defence.

Its not great tbh but there are others in a worse boat than us in terms of player trading this summer. 

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

In 2015/16 - the season before Mowbray arrived, we finished 15th in the Championship.

In 2018/19, after two and a half seasons with Mowbray in charge, we finished 15th in the Championship.

We are NOT progressing!  When will the penny drop?

And poor Steve Kean was forced to resign when he had us flying in 3rd in the Championship too....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Bit of a daft comment. 

Anyone would want good players, regardless of where they come from, surely? If they’re academy products, even better, saves on the transfer fees!

Bit daft, do you think so,I’m talking to folk on this forum, they don’t seem to appreciate bringing guys through,only spending millions. NOT a daft comment thank you.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

I know I might be sounding a bit left field, but maybe the players we wanted aren’t / or haven’t signed for us for reasons other than our budget?

It might sound crazy, but doesn’t this happen at every club, every season? You get some targets, you miss others?

Not in this case

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not heard anything about a cash buy centre back or fraser Campbell- don’t believe that one to be honest. I’m still hoping there is a few going out the door. Nuttall and Smallwood on loans at the very least 

O how i hope this is true. Please lord.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I look at evidence, in all likelihood a 23 year old keeper will be sold for £3 million and replaced with a 23 year old loanee. 

The club needs to balance the books, fine. But even if Raya did want to leave, that doesn’t preclude experience being brought in as a replacement 

Along with the expected defensive signings, extremely odd business for a club with one of the worst defences in the EFL.

I was one of those most unhappy about Raya going but well over half the message board are asserting Raya cost us at least ten goals and several points last season, convinced he disrupted the defence through poor communication, made rubbish decisions and flapped at every cross. In short, they were insistent he be shipped out and they got their wishes fulfilled. 

• Like 2

Just now, unsall said:

Bit daft, do you think so,I’m talking to folk on this forum, they don’t seem to appreciate bringing guys through,only spending millions. NOT a daft comment thank you.

Extremely daft.

Who doesn’t appreciate it? This board is always clamouring for academy lads to be played.

From Travis to Buckley to Butterworth and on it goes.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, philipl said:

I was one of those most unhappy about Raya going but well over half the message board are asserting Raya cost us at least ten goals and several points last season, convinced he disrupted the defence through poor communication, made rubbish decisions and flapped at every cross. In short, they were insistent he be shipped out and they got their wishes fulfilled. 

Not remotely true that ‘well over half the board’ wanted him shipped out.

He’s gone and that’s that, but don’t re-write history.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Just now, philipl said:

And lots who wanted him out suggested replacements who they felt were far better. On the face of it Mowbray didn't seem to concerned about him going and he dropped him towards the end of the season.

Isn't that how you improve by bringing in better players than you already have.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Coyle was that and more. He failed miserably with the players you listed.  

Mowbray may not be Klopp or Guardiola but he's a far cry from Coyle - a man who should never get another job in football.

• Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not remotely true that ‘well over half the board’ wanted him shipped out.

He’s gone and that’s that, but don’t re-write history.

read that thread, even when he was sold, and that is nothing compare with the stick he was given during the second half of last season on brfcs.com

Just now, arbitro said:

And lots who wanted him out suggested replacements who they felt were far better. On the face of it Mowbray didn't seem to concerned about him going and he dropped him towards the end of the season.

Isn't that how you improve by bringing in better players than you already have.

Agreed.

I am unconvinced by the two keepers we are rumoured to be getting but let's see what transpires.

Just now, philipl said:

read that thread, even when he was sold, and that is nothing compare with the stick he was given during the second half of last season on brfcs.com

I’m talking about last season. Of course he got stick he was making errors. 

Many posters wanted him to have competition, a better GK coach, not to just flog him.

Edited by Mattyblue