BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Biz said:

What if Raya wanted out?

Why would a keeper under contract here, established and playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship at the club he's been with since a boy, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, decide to push ahead and leave all that to move to another, smaller club in the same league?

Not trying to be funny but if it is the case that the move happened because Raya wanted to leave us to join Brentford then rather than just accepting that we have to ask ourselves why and be quite concerned. As far as I'm concerned no Blackburn Rovers player who plays regularly for us should ever express a desire to transfer to Brentford. If he does then that suggests something isn't right here. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

Why would a keeper under contract here, playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, chose to leave all that to move to another club in the same league?

Not trying to be funny but if it is the case that the move happened because Raya wanted to leave us to join Brentford then rather than just accepting that we have to ask ourselves why and be quite concerned. As far as I'm concerned no Blackburn Rovers player who plays regularly for us should ever express a desire to transfer to Brentford. If he does then that suggests something isn't right here. 

Lure of being near London perhaps? Or working with a Spanish goalkeeping coach he's worked with before and knows well?

Not everything is cut and dry and putting over the top pride in your own club aside, there are probably plenty of reasons why a player would. Doesn't have to mean there's a crisis, some people just want a change. It happens

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Why would a keeper under contract here, established and playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship at the club he's been with since a boy, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, decide to push ahead and leave all that to move to another, smaller club in the same league?

Exactly. The issue is clearly on the Rovers/Raya end. Raya was around for a while I'm not convinced he's suddenly going to pick up and leave for somewhere like Brentford entirely on his own terms. 

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, JHRover said:

Why would a keeper under contract here, playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, chose to leave all that to move to another club in the same league?

Because he was dropped for the last few games, and Mowbray probably gave him the impression he wouldn’t be no 1, pretty simple really, Raya was a decent keeper but lacked certain qualities and Mowbray decided he was going to bring someone in. Raya probably wouldn’t have been happy at no 2 so off he pops, why should there not be something right, that’s football,it happens.

• Like 1

So the popular opinion is Walton is not an upgrade on Raya but on par 

Weve lost Reed Rodwell and Conway (so far) and brought in Johnson Downing Gallagher and The city lad is waiting in the wings that I am really hopeful will improve us defensively and we've only spent around £2m

I am obviously going to be in the minority on here. but that is not half as bad a window as some are making out

• Like 7

Just now, Tom said:

Thanks to Tony Mowbray and everyone at @Rovers for allowing me to train with them for the past few weeks. Was great to play and score a few goals. I wish them all the best this season.

I’m now ready for my next challenge.

shame would of loved him here

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

So basically, we're struggling to even get a loan deal over the line for a player that isn't really what we need in the first place?

So we don’t really need him, hang on is he C/B and also can play at R/B, 6’4” played 36 games for WBA, any suggestions who we do need?

• Like 2

Just now, Swanson said:

Loan deal... if he is supposed to be our nr 1 and suddenly get recalled by Brighton. Can they do that?

Depends on the deal,if it’s 12 months some have a clause saying they can recall after 6 months.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

Because he was dropped for the last few games, and Mowbray probably gave him the impression he wouldn’t be no 1, pretty simple really, Raya was a decent keeper but lacked certain qualities and Mowbray decided he was going to bring someone in. Raya probably wouldn’t have been happy at no 2 so off he pops, why should there not be something right, that’s football,it happens.

So every goalkeeper that gets dropped for a few games or whose position in the team comes under threat asks to move clubs? 

As I've said before, for me there should be no such thing as 'number 1' and 'number 2'. The player who performs has the place, so if Raya ironed out his flaws he would have been in the team.

All the talk about him being our 'number 2' and him not being happy at that, lets see what unfolds at Brentford and he goes on there, but given Brentford's record at polishing up players it wouldn't surprise me to see him progress.

• Like 1

Just now, unsall said:

So we don’t really need him, hang on is he C/B and also can play at R/B, 6’4” played 36 games for WBA, any suggestions who we do need?

Experienced centre back on a permanent deal. Not a young kid who can maybe play CH, maybe play RB.

If he's so good, why don't WBA want him back?

• Like 1

Walton much taller than Raya, which gives hope for sure when it comes to crosses into the box. The Travis deal today is really great news too. If only we'd have landed a Jake Cooper or a Liam Lindsay I feel like this transfer window could've been seen as successful. However, without addressing the CB issue, it's just another swing and a miss to me.

Just now, JHRover said:

So every goalkeeper that gets dropped for a few games or whose position in the team comes under threat asks to move clubs? 

Tbf, there's being dropped, then there's being dropped for Jayson Leutwiler...

And being publicly criticised when our worst defenders weren't.

• Like 1

There's an increasing lack of patience when it comes to signings. Too many supporters (supposed grown men ?)  from a whole host of clubs hold on to the balls of the ITK people but simply can't hack it when things 'drag' on or fall through.  There's loads of time left this window and things always used to happen late July and early August (even in the days when you had to check the paper or teletext).  It's really not worth arguing or stressing over - save that for when Smallwood is first choice CB and Bennett RB three games in.

• Like 6

Just now, AJW said:

Weve lost Reed Rodwell and Conway (so far) and brought in Johnson Downing Gallagher and The city lad is waiting in the wings that I am really hopeful will improve us defensively and we've only spent around £2m

I am obviously going to be in the minority on here. but that is not half as bad a window as some are making out

None of them are upgraded though. We also haven’t replaced P Downing (since January) or Raya and both replacements will have had barely any pre-season with us.

It all seems so difficult and expensive to get in a goalkeeper and a centre back... so what did we do? Spent £5m on another attacker.

If the window closed today then it’s been an awful one. A lot rests on those two positions but it’s looking like Walton and Adarabioyo. At best we have replaced like for like together with yet more potential.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Experienced centre back on a permanent deal. Not a young kid who can maybe play CH, maybe play RB.

If he's so good, why don't WBA want him back?

Because of the Flex.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Deals not announced today due to communication issues with India to get the final green light to complete. Therein lies the problem with absent owners. Photographer requested for tomorrow so they must be hopefull of concluding one or two . Still a bit of a shambles to be honest 

I’ve never understood why every transfer glitch is laid at Mowbray’s door when the paymasters are in India and, even when they agree a fee, agreeing and arranging the scheduling of the money coming over will be a complete ballsache from this end as they will be more worried about what works for them than what the other club want.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AJW said:

Let's have it right. 

We've lost Raya, Rodwell, Reed, Downing and Conway.

And brought in 3 to date. 

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
Typo!
  • Like 1