BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Well yes.

He avoided relegation last season as opposed to not avoiding it.

Hopefully most people aren't satisfied with that going forward so it's what happens next that counts.

Hmm yeah I think I agree with that we have to continue to move forward which we have been doing since he came in as soon as we don't it has to be looked at but for the moment it's fine. 

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why would a keeper under contract here, established and playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship at the club he's been with since a boy, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, decide to push ahead and leave all that to move to another, smaller club in the same league?

Not trying to be funny but if it is the case that the move happened because Raya wanted to leave us to join Brentford then rather than just accepting that we have to ask ourselves why and be quite concerned. As far as I'm concerned no Blackburn Rovers player who plays regularly for us should ever express a desire to transfer to Brentford. If he does then that suggests something isn't right here. 

Firstly I’d suggest getting with the times since Brentford are currently roughly (depressingly) around our sort of level.

Secondly - you’re playing this out as if he has the perfect season. Fairly legitimate grounds to be dropped in most people’s opinion, even if we both agree that we’d rather he stay!  

Just now, Stuart said:

None of them are upgraded though. We also haven’t replaced P Downing (since January) or Raya and both replacements will have had barely any pre-season with us.

It all seems so difficult and expensive to get in a goalkeeper and a centre back... so what did we do? Spent £5m on another attacker.

If the window closed today then it’s been an awful one. A lot rests on those two positions but it’s looking like Walton and Adarabioyo. At best we have replaced like for like together with yet more potential.

It hasnt been awful. 

Conway and Rodwell won’t be missed. I’d argue that Downing and Johnson are more useful players to have. Raya will depend on the replacement(s). 

The window hasn’t been great by any stretch. I’m a bit disappointed given some of the talk in May, however the squad is marginally stronger and there are still signings to come. 

We’ve kept our best players and we’re gradually strengthening. Not awful in my book. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pedro said:

There's an increasing lack of patience when it comes to signings. Too many supporters (supposed grown men ?)  from a whole host of clubs hold on to the balls of the ITK people but simply can't hack it when things 'drag' on or fall through.  There's loads of time left this window and things always used to happen late July and early August (even in the days when you had to check the paper or teletext).  It's really not worth arguing or stressing over - save that for when Smallwood is first choice CB and Bennett RB three games in.

Indeed. Happens at all clubs, we're not unique. Man United fans will be losing their sh*t that they've not signed a centre half yet and this Maguire thing is dragging on. 

• Like 3

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Let's have it right. 

We've lost Raya, Rodwell, Reed, Downing and Rodwell.

And brought in 3 to date. 

If you're going to include outgoing players twice it does make the incoming list look poor. And downing spent most of last season at Doncaster anyway 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Experienced centre back on a permanent deal. Not a young kid who can maybe play CH, maybe play RB.

If he's so good, why don't WBA want him back?

West brom have a new manager. Has his own ideas and way of playing game and different priorities in terms of playing staff. 

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If the window closed today then it’s been an awful one. A lot rests on those two positions but it’s looking like Walton and Adarabioyo. At best we have replaced like for like together with yet more potential.

It doesn’t though does it.

I’ll keep my bedsheets dry for now.

On the Raya thing - I’d imagine he got a decent pay rise, guarantee of a No. 1 shirt (that not many wanted to give him here), a signing on bonus and a London life.

I don’t think Walton is a downgrade but wouldn’t mind another, and sources have been consistent that we are looking for two.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Look, Coyle didn't deliver at Rovers but by and large, much of last season's team and promising Academy youngsters were all here when Mowbray arrived.

Mowbray has given us Dack with Rothwell also showing much promise.  Other than that, his player trading, IMO, is p1ss poor - £7+million spunked away on Brereton, Raya sold only to see Walton and possibly Eastwood to come in to replace, add an array of over 30's in Downing, Johnson and possibly Adam and it's stuff that doesn't get my pulse racing.

Youre right Merc and no way defending Coyle but Venkys also took both centre halves away from him late in the window and give him no chance to get replacements . I'm not sure in the 2 1/2 years since that Mowbray has progressed that aspect of the team. In fact the 68 we shipped last season under a conservative manager  is arguably worse than any of his predecessors. The point is that he's had 2 plus years to sort our defence and appears not to know how to even begin the task. Clueless . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Deals not announced today due to communication issues with India to get the final green light to complete. Therein lies the problem with absent owners. Photographer requested for tomorrow so they must be hopefull of concluding one or two . Still a bit of a shambles to be honest 

Green light from India for  2 bloody loans????!!! there in a nutshell my friends is why we don't stand a chance under these morons whatever spin gets put on it from Ewood. So much for them trusting Mowbray and Waggott . FFS

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JHRover said:

So every goalkeeper that gets dropped for a few games or whose position in the team comes under threat asks to move clubs? 

As I've said before, for me there should be no such thing as 'number 1' and 'number 2'. The player who performs has the place, so if Raya ironed out his flaws he would have been in the team.

All the talk about him being our 'number 2' and him not being happy at that, lets see what unfolds at Brentford and he goes on there, but given Brentford's record at polishing up players it wouldn't surprise me to see him progress.

Come on, there’s always been a no 1 and 2, at nearly every club including Rovers,and the coaching team and possibly one or two players ( you saw the bollicking Lenihan gave him in one of his last games) must have thought he will always struggle with crosses, and decided he wasn’t quite good enough, and that also applies to Leutwiler as well, just think Mowbray wanted a bigger lad who hopefully deals with problems in the box better.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It doesn’t though does it.

I’ll keep my bedsheets dry for now.

On the Raya thing - I’d imagine he got a decent pay rise, guarantee of a No. 1 shirt (that not many wanted to give him here), a signing on bonus and a London life.

I don’t think Walton is a downgrade but wouldn’t mind another, and sources have been consistent that we are looking for two.

It’s sad that people can’t grasp context.

But whatever gets your bed sheets moist big guy.

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s sad that people can’t grasp context.

But whatever gets your bed sheets moist big guy.

It’s just a baffling thing to say!

If the season ended half time at Brentford we’d have been in the playoffs, well done us!

36 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why would a keeper under contract here, established and playing every week as Number 1 in the Championship at the club he's been with since a boy, a season after we won promotion, part of a plan to kick on to the Premier League, decide to push ahead and leave all that to move to another, smaller club in the same league?

Not trying to be funny but if it is the case that the move happened because Raya wanted to leave us to join Brentford then rather than just accepting that we have to ask ourselves why and be quite concerned. As far as I'm concerned no Blackburn Rovers player who plays regularly for us should ever express a desire to transfer to Brentford. If he does then that suggests something isn't right here. 

Mowbray dropped him last season for repeated errors. He probably told him during the summer or Raya figured out himself that he was no longer the guaranteed number 1. Raya decided that was beneath him and looked for a move somewhere he would be number 1. Probably got a wage increase too. 

That seems the most plausible to me. 

• Like 2