BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

How hard can this all be? Bassini has 7 or 8 players lined up and he doesn’t even own Bolton yet!

BASSINI!!? The guy who’s about to be hit with a restraining order for excessive calls to the administrators and once went bang for 30, yes 3-0k ???

You taking the piss? Gotta be banter now, surely? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I do think that sometimes, people are a bit harsh in response to your posts to be honest, but the bit in bold has me wondering why anyone would ever say this on a Rovers forum unless they were attempting to get some serious bites.

A truly terrible comment, it really is.

Coyle was an absolutely horrendous manager for us, no ifs, no buts, no maybes. He was the doughnut we all thought and more. 

I am not going to try and defend Coyle's Rovers' tenure as manager.  For Coyle, I think his managerial career nosedived after his first eighteen months at Bolton.

The point I was trying to make, however, was that eight of last season's 'mainstays' were here under Coyle and he signed three of them for Rovers on permanent deals (Mulgrew, Graham and Williams).  Who knows where we would have been without Graham and to a lesser extent Mulgrew - even Williams has had his moments with us (player of the season in 2016/17 and a strong end to last season at centre back).  Add to those three the loan signing of Sam Gallagher (questionable Mowbray would have even heard of the lad if he hadn't have been here on loan firstly under Coyle) who Mowbray has seemingly just blown our transfer budget on and sold Raya to help finance.

So you could argue that Mowbray has been largely reliant upon a good part of Coyle's team and signings.

As for Mowbray, apart from Dack and possibly Rothwell, it is difficult to argue that his player trading is anything better than average at best.  

• Like 3

Just now, Mercer said:

I am not going to try and defend Coyle's Rovers' tenure as manager.  For Coyle, I think his managerial career nosedived after his first eighteen months at Bolton.

The point I was trying to make, however, was that eight of last season's 'mainstays' were here under Coyle and he signed three of them for Rovers on permanent deals (Mulgrew, Graham and Williams).  Who knows where we would have been without Graham and to a lesser extent Mulgrew - even Williams has had his moments with us (player of the season in 2016/17 and a strong end to last season at centre back).  Add to those three the loan signing of Sam Gallagher (questionable Mowbray would have even heard of the lad if he hadn't have been here on loan firstly under Coyle) who Mowbray has seemingly just blown our transfer budget on and sold Raya to help finance.

So you could argue that Mowbray has been largely reliant upon a good part of Coyle's team and signings.

As for Mowbray, apart from Dack and possibly Rothwell, it is difficult to argue that his player trading is anything better than average at best.  

Apart from our two best players.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Because they are still the money and need to approve it, mowbray doesn’t have free reign to sign players whoever and whenever he likes, everything goes through the boss first 

And sometimes they say NO!. The Gallagher deal pretty much blew the budget and now all deals are being questioned

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Mowbray dropped him last season for repeated errors. He probably told him during the summer or Raya figured out himself that he was no longer the guaranteed number 1. Raya decided that was beneath him and looked for a move somewhere he would be number 1. Probably got a wage increase too. 

That seems the most plausible to me. 

The guy had a string of crap games and got dropped. Told that the club were looking to improve the gk department. Then decided he’d rather not hang around...fair enough ??

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Walton much taller than Raya, which gives hope for sure when it comes to crosses into the box. 

Worrying that the Wigan forum I linked to a few pages back said he was a good shot stopper but poor on crosses and commanding his area. Pretty split on there if they wanted him to stay. 

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

And sometimes they say NO!. The Gallagher deal pretty much blew the budget and now all deals are being questioned

Balaji? Is that you pal? Thanks for letting us all know we’re peppered, ??

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

It’s just a baffling thing to say!

If the season ended half time at Brentford we’d have been in the playoffs, well done us!

Context. The poster I responded to said it had been a good window. The inference being time now. That just isn’t true. Everything hinges on the players we have yet to sign as the ones we have so far are simply a shuffle of the deck chairs.

But when people think that Travis is our best signing of the Summer then you know we are being lined up for. As soon as the club tweeted about the new deal I knew that’s what people would be saying.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Context. The poster I responded to said it had been a good window. The inference being time now. That just isn’t true. Everything hinges on the players we have yet to sign as the ones we have so far are simply a shuffle of the deck chairs.

But when people think that Travis is our best signing of the Summer then you know we are being lined up for. As soon as the club tweeted about the new deal I knew that’s what people would be saying.

Ok, apologies for that - that’s a little less baffling now.

As for the Travis thing - it really is an immensely pleasing “signing” - he’s going to have suitors big time and in my opinion will be one of our most important players for the next few years - why not say it is the signing of the summer? 

Keepers and centre halves still wanted, of course.

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Ok, apologies for that - that’s a little less baffling now.

As for the Travis thing - it really is an immensely pleasing “signing” - he’s going to have suitors big time and in my opinion will be one of our most important players for the next few years - why not say it is the signing of the summer? 

Keepers and centre halves still wanted, of course.

Because he is already here. I’m delighted he’s signed. I’m a huge fan but it’s your last sentence that I’m more interested in and underwhelmed with the links. Championship standard players change hand all the time for reasonable sums. Meanwhile, we spend £12m on two sub strikers and then scrat around for probably the most important player in the squad, as though we have no plan.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

How has Reading managed to sign Charlie Adam without a trial and a pre-season game? That looks like a huge gamble.

Because we gave him a trial and a few pre season games for them.

16 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Green light from India for  2 bloody loans????!!! there in a nutshell my friends is why we don't stand a chance under these morons whatever spin gets put on it from Ewood. So much for them trusting Mowbray and Waggott . FFS

Bit harsh. I'm led to believe on very good authority that when they took over, they uncovered a hell of a lot of money going to places that it shouldn't have and allegedly, it pointed one way. The reason why they had two accounting firms running the rule over the books 18months ago (ish) was to make sure that was no longer happening, which it wasn't. 

The  trust issues work both ways I suppose.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Because he is already here. I’m delighted he’s signed. I’m a huge fan but it’s your last sentence that I’m more interested in and underwhelmed with the links. Championship standard players change hand all the time for reasonable sums. Meanwhile, we spend £12m on two sub strikers and then scrat around for probably the most important player in the squad, as though we have no plan.

Well, fingers crossed. Plenty of time yet.

4 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Bit harsh. I'm led to believe on very good authority that when they took over, they uncovered a hell of a lot of money going to places that it shouldn't have and allegedly, it pointed one way. The reason why they had two accounting firms running the rule over the books 18months ago (ish) was to make sure that was no longer happening, which it wasn't. 

The  trust issues work both ways I suppose.

Who’s they? Venky’s or Waggott and his team?

He’s obviously not remotely interested in playing in England again, two and a half weeks to go and not bothered with a pre-season.

27 years old, should be reaching his peak. A symbol of the modern game.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Who’s they? Venky’s or Waggott and his team?

Have to assume Pedro means Waggott, etc, as it wouldn't make sense with Venky's as from the moment they took over horrendous amounts of money began funneling out of the club towards SEM and parties associated with them. There was obviously something badly wrong around the 15/16 period as we were suddenly having severe cash flow problems, which we didn't have even at the worst of times during the Jerome Anderson/SEM era (aside from the £10m Barclays loan incident, although even then there was never any missed payments for wages, emergency loans being taken out, etc). That all seems to have been cleaned up for the most part, and now we're essentially back to where we were before with budgets that change depending on the date, targets being missed for reasons unknown and the manager flying out to India on a semi-regular basis to discuss financial obligations even though that should really be solely down to Waggott and the appropriate board members. 

I think we're likely in a better place in terms of financial transperency than we were a few years ago, but the underlying problems with how the owners run the club remain and continue to hinder us. Appreciate that they're keeping the lights on, etc, but my concern is what happens if and when they finally decide they've had enough. The only person trying to build any kind of structure that benefits the club long-term is an employee who could be gone by Christmas. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2