BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Hilarious people are unhappy at signing a CB who was pretty much a mainstay in a team that finished 4th. 

Same people probably unhappy with an experienced player like Bradley Johnson signing for free who played most matches post January in a team one game from the Premier League.

I know it’s a message board but can we at least try to lighten the fuck up.

Played full back though, didn’t he? Never centre half.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, HowieFive0 said:

Even better with our FB choices !

That’s a different issue.

He’s being billed as a centre half, a position we massively need reinforcing. Yet he’s a teenager that’s never played their professionally. 

• Like 3

Just now, neophox said:

This city lad was a regular for West Brom last season, a team that made the playoffs. He will be useful!

Hope so, but it isn't as simple as that unfortunately. Palmer for example played quite a lot when Huddersfield got promoted and also played a bit at Derby who came 6th that season, and his loan to us only lasted a few months.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Hilarious people are unhappy at signing a CB who was pretty much a mainstay in a team that finished 4th. 

Same people probably unhappy with an experienced player like Bradley Johnson signing for free who played most matches post January in a team one game from the Premier League.

I know it’s a message board but can we at least try to lighten the fuck up.

It wasn't West Brom's defence that got them to fourth position though they conceded just 7 goals less than us. It was the 87 goals they scored that got them into 4th.

• Like 1

• Backroom

According to TransferMarkt Adarabioyo played CB 21 times, RB 14 times and LB once. So a bit of a utility man. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tosin-adarabioyo/leistungsdaten/spieler/258878/plus/0?saison=2018

Squad: 41, Starting eleven: 21, Substituted in: 8, On the bench: 12, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0

I think suggesting people are unhappy with Adarabioyo or Johnson is missing the point though. I haven't seen many people say they are unhappy with either signing in isolation, it's more that we haven't signed any defender who can be identified as a definite first teamer, and we've sold our first choice goalkeeper and look set to replace him with a Brighton loanee who doesn't appear to be significantly if any better than the player we just let go. 

I'm not convinced our first team is significantly stronger than it was last season as it stands. The squad overall, yes, I think the likes of Johnson, Adarabioyo, Downing and Gallagher do give us a stronger squad in general. Not sure it's going to mean much if our defence is still consistantly leaking goals though. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Adam and having too many midfielders... I updated a little song we haven't sung for a season and a half:

Oh-ay-oh, why've we still got Smallwood

Oh-ay-oh, why's he still at Ewood

Oh-ay-oh, he's terrible in every way..... (some-one-take-him!).

Adam not being signed is only a negative when it protects weaker footballers in our squad. If we start the season with only Conway, Rodwell, Reed and Raya gone from our team in May, something has gone wrong. Far too many L1 plodders.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, neophox said:

There are plenty of good centre Backs available on a free, Vermalen 33, Kaboul 33, Skrtl 34 and Holmen 27 would all improve our defence.

Frees aren't free though are they?  Wages, signing on fees etc all have to be paid and 3 of the 4 you mention are a fair way past 30. What we really need is a 28 year old or so who we can, barring serious injury, rely on to organise our defence for the next couple of seasons at least. They cost money I know. And they're not easy to come by. But working from that as the ideal we should be able to land someone capable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s a different issue.

He’s being billed as a centre half, a position we massively need reinforcing. Yet he’s a teenager that’s never played their professionally. 

"being billed as" 

LOL 

To be fair, we haven't even signed him so I don't think he is being billed as anything, by anyone at the club. 

• Like 1

The young CB we had on loan from UTD i think played mostly right back in his short stint and looked a bit raw but looked better in his centre half stints then went to dingle town and looked a natural centre half.

Maybe the City lad willl turn out the same.

I'm ok with the keeper it's the left field signing i expected and although in the bigger pic probably not better than Raya just different and that difference will hopefully suit this team better.

Edited by tomphil

Getting rid of players is difficult.

I'd have liked to see Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, and Smallwood all leave this summer but it sounds like only Smallwood might go.

That's a problem, what do we do with our captain?  He's still bigged up in Rovers media, in fact, he and Evans have been announced as charity ambassadors for the season https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/chosen-charities-meet-their-player-ambassadors/ so I'd guess there's no chance of them leaving.

Mulgrew and Evans (and Williams when fit) will expect to play most games and I imagine their wages will mean we would be wasting a lot of money (hard to justify to bosses) if we don't.  I do wonder if this is making it harder to bring in top quality Central defenders. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

"being billed as" 

LOL 

To be fair, we haven't even signed him so I don't think he is being billed as anything, by anyone at the club. 

I know the club haven’t. So save your ‘LOLs’ :rolleyes: for someone else.

Im talking about posters on here mentioning him as an incoming centre half and his games for West Brom... he was a full back, he’s never played in a first team as a centre half, so expectations of the lad helping to solve our central defence issues need dosing down.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Butty said:

Don’t speak too West Brom fans about him, from what I’ve seen on Twitter a lot aren’t overly complimentary about him. “Okay as a back up” I’ve seen a few times, so for someone we are expecting too come in to the first team that isn’t promising. 

The lad is Young, how many of our players have made it as 21 year olds in centre back position, he will be stronger this year.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I know the club haven’t. So save your ‘LOLs’ :rolleyes: for someone else.

Im talking about posters on here mentioning him as an incoming centre half and his games for West Brom... he was a full back, he’s never played in a first team as a centre half, so expectations of the lad helping to solve our central defence issues need dosing down.

Fake news

According to TransferMarkt Adarabioyo played CB 21 times, RB 14 times and LB once. So a bit of a utility man. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/tosin-adarabioyo/leistungsdaten/spieler/258878/plus/0?saison=2018

( @DE. et all, 2019) 

Just now, Blueandwhitemike said:

Getting rid of players is difficult.

I'd have liked to see Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, and Smallwood all leave this summer but it sounds like only Smallwood might go.

That's a problem, what do we do with our captain?  He's still bigged up in Rovers media, in fact, he and Evans have been announced as charity ambassadors for the season https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/july/chosen-charities-meet-their-player-ambassadors/ so I'd guess there's no chance of them leaving.

Mulgrew and Evans (and Williams when fit) will expect to play most games and I imagine their wages will mean we would be wasting a lot of money (hard to justify to bosses) if we don't.  I do wonder if this is making it harder to bring in top quality Central defenders. 

Yep something that hasn't gone unoticed and to me is a bit of a statement as if they are mainstays of the squad. To be fair allowing for the usual weaknesses they all played quite well early last season so we are hanging our hat on that again.

• Like 1

I was going off West Brom fans.

Fair enough then, let’s hope a young lad with 20 games as a centre half can step up to the plate in what is a very poor defence. Or even better , he’s a back up to an experienced centre back that is being kept under the radar...

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I was going off West Brom fans.

Fair enough then, let’s hope a young lad with 20 games as a centre half can step up to the plate in what is a very poor defence. Or even better , he’s a back up to an experienced centre back that is being kept under the radar...

I hope so too. I hope he is so good like Reed , Travis and Rothwell that once he plays there, he can't be dropped.  Will Mowbray have him straight in centre half? Unlikely...

In the LT Mowbray saying that Johnson "has some size about him" and that he needs to get him fit enough to play. I'm reading that as he won't be starting games any time soon.

With the lack of a pre-season both Downing and Gallager will be in that category too.

Why do we always seem to sign players that aren't fit enough to play (according to Mowbray)?

• Like 3

Just now, OJRovers said:

In the LT Mowbray saying that Johnson "has some size about him" and that he needs to get him fit enough to play. I'm reading that as he won't be starting games any time soon.

With the lack of a pre-season both Downing and Gallager will be in that category too.

Why do we always seem to sign players that aren't fit enough to play (according to Mowbray)?

It's not like our standards of fitness are high either, we looked one the unfittest sides in the league last season.

• Like 1