BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, OJRovers said:

In the LT Mowbray saying that Johnson "has some size about him" and that he needs to get him fit enough to play. I'm reading that as he won't be starting games any time soon.

With the lack of a pre-season both Downing and Gallager will be in that category too.

Why do we always seem to sign players that aren't fit enough to play (according to Mowbray)?

He played on the play off final on the 27th May. Back in training in June.

I thought modern players had off season diet plans and fitness routines etc to ensure they didn’t come back out of condition?

Just now, OJRovers said:

In the LT Mowbray saying that Johnson "has some size about him" and that he needs to get him fit enough to play. I'm reading that as he won't be starting games any time soon.

With the lack of a pre-season both Downing and Gallager will be in that category too.

Why do we always seem to sign players that aren't fit enough to play (according to Mowbray)?

"He’s a lad who has some physicality about him, some size but plenty of quality in his left foot,”

“We have to get him super fit so that he can impact every game physically up and down the pitch and impact in both boxes as well as with his passing and his strength.”

A few ways to read that really. May start.

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

You are definitely taking his comments out of context here.  He said he needs game time, just as every player does in pre-season. The comment on his size wasn't a dig at him being fat or out of shape, more that he is strong. 

“He needed a game. He’s a lad who has some physicality about him, some size but plenty of quality in his left foot,” Mowbray said of the former Leeds United and Norwich City man.

“He needs to play, be fit, and get him as many minutes as possible.

“I think he’s a good acquisition. He’s an experienced footballer who knows his job.

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Sounds like we gave the guy somewhere to get fit. We liked some of what we saw and maybe made him an offer. He took a bigger offer but nothing is lost. In fact it creates a positive perception around the club and football. 

When I posted that I’d prefer us to promote Buckley rather than sign Adam it got a lot of likes on here. So why are we now criticising what essentially was a good thing that the club did? They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t. 

Sorry for any transgression of your MB rules. Silly fecker that I am I thought I was allowed an opinion and freedom of expression.

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are definitely taking his comments out of context here.  He said he needs game time, just as every player does in pre-season. The comment on his size wasn't a dig at him being fat or out of shape, more that he is strong. 

“He needed a game. He’s a lad who has some physicality about him, some size but plenty of quality in his left foot,” Mowbray said of the former Leeds United and Norwich City man.

“He needs to play, be fit, and get him as many minutes as possible.

“I think he’s a good acquisition. He’s an experienced footballer who knows his job.

We’ll see, but I wouldn’t bet on him starting until September at the earliest.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Hilarious people are unhappy at signing a CB who was pretty much a mainstay in a team that finished 4th. 

Same people probably unhappy with an experienced player like Bradley Johnson signing for free who played most matches post January in a team one game from the Premier League.

I know it’s a message board but can we at least try to lighten the fuck up.

He played almost exclusively at right back (not sure them stats below are correct positionally, Dawson and Hegazi where the main 2 for WBA in the centre) and West Brom fans seem almost exclusively glad to see the back of him. He was replaced by Holgate in January. I do hope that the fact he was out of position is the reason for his poor form.

Ive seen little if any criticism of the Johnson signing.

Just now, OJRovers said:

We’ll see, but I wouldn’t bet on him starting until September at the earliest.

We'll see what? You completely misquoted him and now it's "we'll see" ? Comical on here sometimes

Ya, he might not start straight away, I think it will be Evans and Travis, but I think/hope him and Travis will become the first choice pairing sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

Is Williams injured or just going off on paternity leave?

Anyone know why Gallagher didn't feature in the squad at Rangers. Don't get it myself. Surely can't be fitness related as he was training with Southampton before signing here and looks in good shape and should be at his age.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He played almost exclusively at right back (not sure them stats below are correct positionally, Dawson and Hegazi where the main 2 for WBA in the centre) and West Brom fans seem almost exclusively glad to see the back of him. He was replaced by Holgate in January. I do hope that the fact he was out of position is the reason for his poor form.

Almost exclusively.

21 games at CB, 14 at RB.

Edited by Mellor Rover

Just now, roversfan99 said:

So you aren't sure the stats are correct but you are sure he played exclusively at right-back? mmm... 

West brom fans are split on him. The key theme seems to be that he should play centrally.  "Glad to see the back of him" is such a snarky way to put it. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I think most full backs get stick these days. I think it was Jamie Carragher that said full backs are either centre backs chucked there, or wingers chucked there.

Centre backs tend to be decent defensivley but poor going forward and winger types are the other way around.

Tends to lead to fans critizing them one way or another for the weaker part of their game

The full backs that are good at both command a massive premium these days and go to the top 6 clubs for mega money.

Im obviously guessing having never seen him play but I wonder if west brom fans werent happy with him at right back becasue he isnt that great going forward

Just now, roverandout said:

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Gary bowyer was a better manager than mowbary at picking out players and tactics

Picking players Bowyer may well have been better, but there's no shame in that. Found some very talented players for peanuts. 

Tactics, absolutely not a chance. The hallmark of Bowyer's Rovers was a committed group with some talent, but never looking that cohesive or well drilled. Hardly ever deviated from a simple 442, and whilst we had enough talent to win tight games, it's hard to imagine Mowbray not getting an awful lot more out of Cairney and King, just to name two.

I know that not everyone agrees with TM's approach, but tactically he's on a different level to Bowyer. 

• Like 9

Bowyer was lucky to get the job here, but I think his choices since have been poor. Maybe he didn't have other options, but he seems to have picked unstable club after unstable club. Definitely has a name for it now. I remember he was linked with Sunderland after they went down. I would have been interested to see how he got on there. 

Bowyer was lucky to get the job here, but I think his choices since have been poor. Maybe he didn't have other options, but he seems to have picked unstable club after unstable club. Definitely has a name for it now. I remember he was linked with Sunderland after they went down. I would have been interested to see how he got on there. 

Mowbray was arguably luckier to get the job here given his departure from Coventry a few short months before.

• Like 4

Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray was arguably luckier to get the job here given his departure from Coventry a few short months before.

I don't think it is even an argument,  he was extremely lucky, even more so than Bowyer and lucky for us too seeing as he got us up from League 1 in a relatively straight forward manner. Just a pity he couldn't keep us in the Championship. Was close. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Wouldn't disagree with that to be honest. As much as I think he's doing a good job, I felt deflated when I heard he was our choice. Not quite Coyle levels of disappointment, but not happy all the same. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Wouldn't disagree with that to be honest. As much as I think he's doing a good job, I felt deflated when I heard he was our choice. Not quite Coyle levels of disappointment, but not happy all the same. 

With the exception of Lambert I don't think any of the other 6 manager appointments have been ones that involved a great deal of planning or sense. None of them other than Lambert would have had a sniff of another Championship job. 

Bowyer and Mowbray are the success stories because both are decent, level headed honest blokes from old school football backgrounds but critically both worked out how these owners operate and tried to work within that.

Bowyer has been able to forge a managerial career off it whilst Mowbray has rehabilitated his after Coventry. Fair play. More to do with luck and circumstance than the idiots in India learning lessons or delivering on a plan.

• Like 1

I don't think it is even an argument,  he was extremely lucky, even more so than Bowyer and lucky for us too seeing as he got us up from League 1 in a relatively straight forward manner. Just a pity he couldn't keep us in the Championship. Was close. 

See at the time I was devastated we had been relegated to the third division, but in hindsight I think the club needed that season of "winning most weeks" and a promotion to celebrate to rally a lot of the support together, it awoke a largely dormant away support which carried on pretty good numbers into last season too.

TM has completed his last two aims well, promotion and a bit of consolidation. I think it's pretty safe to say though that he isn't the man to take us any further than we currently are, this baffling transfer window highlights that.

If the aim is just to stay in the championship over the next few years then fair enough, we have the right man in charge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neophox said:

The lad is Young, how many of our players have made it as 21 year olds in centre back position, he will be stronger this year.

We need a proven experienced centre half, if we bring that in as well as this young lad then fair enough but if we don’t it’s going too be same old at the back this season ? 

• Like 1