BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Do we actually have any indication that we don't have a loan-to-buy option? These arrangements tend to come out in the wash, rather than being announced straight away, don't they?

I'd say it just boils down to us not having the cash right now so it'll come out of next seasons kitty or from another sale.

Just my opinion but it's probably a done deal.

So we’ve let Raya go, a young keeper with so much potential and who we would have sold for far more than 3 million further down the line and we’ve replaced him with someone on loan for the season. It just doesn’t make any business sense too me, if we don’t spend money on a proven experienced centre half then it would be even worse. 

• Like 1

Just now, Neal said:

Will people still be up in arms if we invest into a good quality centre half? If someone gave me the option of selling Raya and replacing him with someone as good loan and buying a decent CB I would of definately taken that than keep Raya. 

Not really. Will have to reserve judgment on the new keeper but all that's happened so far if is we've replaced a potential star of the future with someone who isn't our player. 

Had we planned the Raya sale and then replaced him with someone obviously better we'd been after for ages then that might be a bit more like it.

At the start of the window I'd have said Raya was one of the last players that needed replacing, so if we'd have kept him Lenihan Nyambe and Dack and spent decent money on a really good centre half then that would have been good progress.

Losing your keeper and getting a CH (if indeed we do get a decent one) isn't that much of a step forward imo. Probably a step back all things being equal.

• Like 2

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Typical rovers in the Venkys era

It's too simplistic to always blame Venkys.

Fact is that Mowbray has spent substantial money (£5m) and wages (probably £50kpw) this summer on three players in positions we didnt "need" in Downing, Johnson and Gallagher. 

Had he done the same but on an experience GK, £5m CB and a free agent LB (Olsson), that would be different. Truth is, it's the person that signs the players that is making the mistakes this summer.

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Not really. Will have to reserve judgment on the new keeper but all that's happened so far if is we've replaced a potential star of the future with someone who isn't our player. 

Had we planned the Raya sale and then replaced him with someone obviously better we'd been after for ages then that might be a bit more like it.

At the start of the window I'd have said Raya was one of the last players that needed replacing, so if we'd have kept him Lenihan Nyambe and Dack and spent decent money on a really good centre half then that would have been good progress.

Losing your keeper and getting a CH (if indeed we do get a decent one) isn't that much of a step forward imo. Probably a step back all things being equal.

Raya

Wanted

To

Leave

Sit in your padded cell and keep saying these words, it may sink in eventually 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Walton: "I’m looking forward to working with Ben [Benson], the goalkeeping coach, and hopefully it’s the right fit for all parties."

Hence the reason you were signed. 

Walton obviously didn't speak to Merce before signing then! ?

• Like 2

Just now, Ossydave said:

Raya

Wanted

To

Leave

That was last week's reason for Raya leaving from Mowbray. This week's reason was that 'We sold our goalie so we could put the money towards a centre forward and a central defender'.

• Like 5

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

And what are the odds of us getting a good quality centre half?? We haven't been linked with any defender other than the city loanee. It took us 17 days to get a keeper in after selling our best one. What would make anyone think we would be able to get a deal for another defender sorted in the remaining time? Especially a transfer for a quality player compared to the loans we are just about managing to get done

We have been linked with many centre halves in the same way as we have been linked with the City young lad. 

If we have been working on deals behind the scenes, I see no reason we couldn't get a deal done. About half the teams in the Championship haven't made a cash buy yet. 

Not bothered about raya going at all. Thought he was a real poor keeper. Theres a reason he didnt play for us until we were in league 1. Walton was better than him when we were in league one at the time. He was keeper of the season but missed out because he was a loan player. 

Johnson and downing add much needed experience and are better than evans and smallwood. 

Gallagher is better than samuel and nuttall (back ups) and can play the graham role.

The centre half for city will be better than mulgrew, with the simple attribute of being able to head a ball, and youll never guess it, but defend.

Every player brought in are imrpovements, and with the other young lads coming through we are stronger. However granted we still need another centre half and a proper winger.

• Like 3

Just now, Ossydave said:

Raya

Wanted

To

Leave

So what?

We were

under no

obligation to 

let  him

leave.

He was

under contract.

Too difficult a concept for you to comprehend obviously.

• Like 2

So are you reserving judgement or not? 

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

It's too simplistic to always blame Venkys.

Fact is that Mowbray has spent substantial money (£5m) and wages (probably £50kpw) this summer on three players in positions we didnt "need" in Downing, Johnson and Gallagher. 

Had he done the same but on an experience GK, £5m CB and a free agent LB (Olsson), that would be different. Truth is, it's the person that signs the players that is making the mistakes this summer.

Gallagher will turn out to be a great signing and there is plenty of time left to get a centre half or 2 in. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We have been linked with many centre halves in the same way as we have been linked with the City young lad. 

If we have been working on deals behind the scenes, I see no reason we couldn't get a deal done. About half the teams in the Championship haven't made a cash buy yet. 

Who are these many centre halves?

The only one I can see in the transfer link thread is Scott Dan and that was early July Unless I have missed another three

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So are you reserving judgement or not? 

Yes. Losing one of your "crown jewels" and replacng them with someone on loan is not progress.

You're just kicking the problem down the road for 6 or 12 months as someone said above.

• Like 2

So what?

We were

under no

obligation to 

let  him

leave.

He was

under contract.

Too difficult a concept for you to comprehend obviously.

What keep him and let him sulk? OR bring a better keeper in. Absolutely no time for players who don't want to be here, end of.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

And what are the odds of us getting a good quality centre half?? We haven't been linked with any defender other than the city loanee. It took us 17 days to get a keeper in after selling our best one. What would make anyone think we would be able to get a deal for another defender sorted in the remaining time? Especially a transfer for a quality player compared to the loans we are just about managing to get done

I'm just going off what Mowbray said after the Rangers game in which he implied we're looking to spend money on a centre half. 

Yes. Losing one of your "crown jewels" and replacng them with someone on loan is not progress.

You're just kicking the problem down the road for 6 or 12 months as someone said above.

Unless of course the replacement is an improvement and we end up in the play-offs.

If budget would be better spent elsewhere there's no problem with this approach.