BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

To be honest I'm not sure, loan moves must benifit both club and player, if I was pushed I can see the the lads who've come through the academy all staying put and training with the 1st team, and getting game time as and when(I think Wharton, Platt, Nuttall, Lyons etc are most likely to go out on loan)

if I was pushed with regards to loans with the 5 academy lads I would opt for Tyler, Joe Grayson and JRC, maybe, I don't think Buckley and Butterworth are ready for loans yet as any loan would be L1 or L2 at least and the physicality may not yet benefit them all this is just my opinion of course

I don’t have the experience or in depth knowledge of someone who like yourself attends youth football regularly and clearly understands it. This is more a question than an opinion. 

The promotion of Johnson to the first team set up appears to suggest a recognition on the part of Mowbray on what he may have inherited. I wonder if Johnson is the bridge to bring a large group of these lads into the first team set up and more importantly use them. Johnson is not only their manager but to an extent their mentor and his presence and availability gives stability and from that confidence.

If that is the case it’s a smart bit of man management from Mowbray and will allow him to get the best from young lads via Johnson someone who knows them not only as footballers but has people.

• Like 1

Pep Guardiola on our new defender

"He is fast, strong in the air, and has the quality to look forward behind the line for the next pass. He definitely has a future in the first team. He is a nice guy, his mind is open, he listens, he trains every day like it's the last training of his life and I like to work with these kinds of players a lot.

“Against true, tough teams – Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich (in pre-season) – he played very well.”

• Like 4

That's our GK quota done.

I do hope that we are after a BSH CB and I don't mean the Citeh lad.

And that will be it, imho

Prime 10 games, 3 months, Christmas, after the January window, we all know the drill.

I'm actually ok with the signings so far solely on the basis they have met my expectations.

Just now, briansol said:

"He is fast, strong in the air, and has the quality to look forward behind the line for the next pass. He definitely has a future in the first team. He is a nice guy, his mind is open, he listens, he trains every day like it's the last training of his life and I like to work with these kinds of players a lot.

“Against true, tough teams – Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich (in pre-season) – he played very well.”

He signed?

10 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Most probably. I dont like Mowbray - last season was enough to decide that. Strange tactics & unfair comments to certain players. There is no reason what so ever to have Travis & Rothwell on the bench come the first game. We all agree on that. Like I said (one last chance) we will see how we start the season. I would rather draw against charlton playing the players we should than win with Tony's friends.

Don’t really know what to say to that tbh.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

To be honest I'm not sure, loan moves must benifit both club and player, if I was pushed I can see the the lads who've come through the academy all staying put and training with the 1st team, and getting game time as and when(I think Wharton, Platt, Nuttall, Lyons etc are most likely to go out on loan)

if I was pushed with regards to loans with the 5 academy lads I would opt for Tyler, Joe Grayson and JRC, maybe, I don't think Buckley and Butterworth are ready for loans yet as any loan would be L1 or L2 at least and the physicality may not yet benefit them all this is just my opinion of course

Wharton is a really really odd case. He should be pushing for a first team place - especially now, given how thin we are there - yet he could easily be loaned out again.

I had high hopes for him but I’m really not sure why he is still our player.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

BASSINI!!? The guy who’s about to be hit with a restraining order for excessive calls to the administrators and once went bang for 30, yes 3-0k ???

You taking the piss? Gotta be banter now, surely? 

Ya think? ?

• Backroom
Just now, Stuart said:

Wharton is a really really odd case. He should be pushing for a first team place - especially now, given how thin we are there - yet he could easily be loaned out again.

I had high hopes for him but I’m really not sure why he is still our player.

I think Wharton's problem is he's never really beefed up despite being a decent tackler and passer, nor is he the tallest or fastest.

Bit too much of an 'all-rounder' for our level imo. Although I remain surprised he didn't get more game time in L1.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Tom, there’s no chance he is going to be number 2 to an experienced keeper. 

He’s a loanee number 1, with an inferior, but cheap as chips, Leutwiler on the bench and both of them will report to the text book king. We have not improved our goalkeeping unit at all. Let’s hope Walton is a self-starter. Maybe him only being on loan will give him some incentive to impress.

The other thing we need: an experienced, agricultural Championship standard centre back. What are we going for? Another kid to ‘help’ the first team (Tony’s inner circle).

Ironically the only position we have actually upgraded this Summer is bringing in Gallagher for Brereton - all without admitting it was a mistake to waste our budget for two season while allowing other positions to regress.

Mowbray is the Jason Roberts of football management. He can have the odd blinder - usually when he attacks with his instinct - but give him a decision to make and he will male the wrong one.

Just now, Stuart said:

Tom, there’s no chance he is going to be number 2 to an experienced keeper. 

He’s a loanee number 1, with an inferior, but cheap as chips, Leutwiler on the bench and both of them will report to the text book king. We have not improved our goalkeeping unit at all. Let’s hope Walton is a self-starter. Maybe him only being on loan will give him some incentive to impress.

The other thing we need: an experienced, agricultural Championship standard centre back. What are we going for? Another kid to ‘help’ the first team (Tony’s inner circle).

Ironically the only position we have actually upgraded this Summer is bringing in Gallagher for Brereton - all without admitting it was a mistake to waste our budget for two season while allowing other positions to regress.

Mowbray is the Jason Roberts of football management. He can have the odd blinder - usually when he attacks with his instinct - but give him a decision to make and he will male the wrong one.

we desperately need some new defenders, but midfield  has been improved also.

Bradley Johnson is much better than Evans and Smallwood.Yes he is the wrong side of 30 but he performed well last season with Derby and i believe he will be a good signing.

Travis and Johnson a much better midfield pairing thsn Evans and Smallwood, altho Mowbray will probably start with Travis on the bench.

Downing is getting on but looks fit,and feel he will play more of a part for us than Conway did last couple of years.

Our defence does need addressing but in my opinion the midfield and the foward areas have been improved 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

I think Wharton's problem is he's never really beefed up despite being a decent tackler and passer, nor is he the tallest or fastest.

Bit too much of an 'all-rounder' for our level imo. Although I remain surprised he didn't get more game time in L1.

Yet we signed him on a new three year deal last Summer. Somebody must see something in him.

Just now, islander200 said:

we desperately need some new defenders, but midfield  has been improved also.

Bradley Johnson is much better than Evans and Smallwood.Yes he is the wrong side of 30 but he performed well last season with Derby and i believe he will be a good signing.

Travis and Johnson a much better midfield pairing thsn Evans and Smallwood, altho Mowbray will probably start with Travis on the bench.

Downing is getting on but looks fit,and feel he will play more of a part for us than Conway did last couple of years.

Our defence does need addressing but in my opinion the midfield and the foward areas have been improved 

Johnson didn’t replace Smallwood or Evans, so far he has replaced Reed and Rodwell. Unless you think Tom White has replaced one of them. :unsure:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, neophox said:

Think Tosin could be released as he is no longer on Man City web site.

I wouldn't look too much in to that. Taylor Richards is still on there and he signed for Brighton last week.

Just now, Stuart said:

Johnson didn’t replace Smallwood or Evans, so far he has replaced Reed and Rodwell. Unless you think Tom White has replaced one of them. :unsure:

I meant he will replace one of them.in the first 11.

Reed was mostly used out of position, he is a good player but he wasn't anything special here and how many times did Rodwell start in the middle?

Travis has also forced his way in now...you don't think Travis and Johnson is an upgrade on Evans and Smallwood?

Just now, Stuart said:

Yet we signed him on a new three year deal last Summer. Somebody must see something in him.

££££££

He will be on pennies absolute max 1k a week. Gotta protect our investment ?

• Like 1

I meant he will replace one of them.in the first 11.

Reed was mostly used out of position, he is a good player but he wasn't anything special here and how many times did Rodwell start in the middle?

Travis has also forced his way in now...you don't think Travis and Johnson is an upgrade on Evans and Smallwood?

Me and you would be an upgrade on Evans and Smallwood. But that’s not the point, we haven’t upgraded our midfield because Mowbray now has fewer and poorer options to choose from.

And the fact that Reed and Rodwell were both played out of position is not a positive for Mowbray.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m not mowbrays biggest fan and believe he has made a bit of a hash of the summer window- still time. But if he believes in the youngsters and gets a tune out of them then I will happily hold my hands up that I was wrong. I will leave it 10 games before I got my mowbray out pitchfork out

He's not done so well in any window really has he?  Couple of gems but never really addressed our weaknesses.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, briansol said:

We can start playing out from the back now! Play can evolve.

I hope he's as good as Pep says, we need a quality CB, desperately. If we can get 1/2 (another FB) then we could give the play offs a shot. Fingers crossed he cuts the mustard.

Reed was mostly used out of position, he is a good player but he wasn't anything special here 

One of our best players last season and was class whenever he played in central midfield including a home to Derby where he ran the midfield and Johnson didn't get a look in all night.   

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

One of our best players last season and was class whenever he played in central midfield including a home to Derby where he ran the midfield and Johnson didn't get a look in all night.   

I do think Reed is a good player but if so good and class like you say then why aint teams bursting down Southamptons door to get him?He isn't getting a look In there.And as much as we criticise Mowbray for not playing him in central mid, it was the same story at Norwich, he was played at RB.

Johnson bossed our midfield the game at Derby.

• Like 1

Johnson bossed our midfield the game at Derby.

Just had a look backm Conway, Evans, Smallwood, Palmer all started in midfield that night with Arma upfront on his own. 

That was a team set up for a pasting!!

I recall it was a ood job we had Raya.

I've no issue with Johnson or Downing but not sure we needed them both.

Edited by Hasta

BRFCS goggles are in fine fettle when David Raya is a crown jewel and Adam turns from being a clapped out pensioner the day he arrived at Brockhall to someone who will single-handedly destroy our top 6 hopes when he left three weeks later.

Things clearly didn’t pan out with the new goalie(s), but even a slight upgrade and £3 million extra to spend now gets my vote. Maybe Fisher will be ready next year.

Also, I’d have chipped in a fiver myself to pay for Travis and Buckley to spend three weeks training with Charlie Adam.

• Like 5