BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Biz said:

New GK already, A stalwart at a recent playoff finishing team potentially over the line...

I think that would be ok, but it would be an exceptional window if we add further recruits in defence, and full back. Edit - I would be happy if JRC and Hart make the grade too

Cant expect it all, but the aspiration is more defensive recruits!

Given how many goals we shipped last season, new defenders were more of a priority than Sam Gallagher, for example!

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah but you want to “criticise him for not delivering what he said he would” without being called “negative”

The window isn’t even over yet so I would say getting knickers twisted without knowing what will happen, and assuming the worst - is the DEFINITION of “negative”! 

Not it’s not, it the definition of “experience”.

Enough of these experiences leads to “cynicism”.

But when it comes to pass it’s called “hindsight”.

Then the glass half full (so called positive) fans  erases their memories and we begin again.

• Like 2

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

The number one keeper choice has been kept under wraps and I don't believe it is any of the names mentioned so far. The deal hit a snag but could still come off. 

Walton was definitely a late, plan B option but could end up being first choice by default.

He’s wearing a number 1 in his interview. Talks about getting games etc.

Any experience will be to compete with him as first choice imo

24 minutes ago, 47er said:

TM is the best of them though and that's always the fear for a Rovers fan who thinks ahead.

At some point he will be replaced (they always are) but what are the odds that the replacement will be worse? :(

Yep, hence why it’s not a clear cut correct decision to bin Mowbray - it would be at most other clubs.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Then the glass half full (so called positive) fans  erases their memories and we begin again.

And if a few more signings come off we’ll just have to erase our memories of you being chicken little miserable sods ?

And if a few more signings come off we’ll just have to erase our memories of you being chicken little miserable sods ?

I look forward greatly to you being right.

Sadly, history suggests otherwise.

• Like 2

He’s wearing a number 1 in his interview. Talks about getting games etc.

Any experience will be to compete with him as first choice imo

Yep - at best. The new lad is now number 1 and it’s his shirt to lose. Big gamble and a very short term move unless we’ve somehow locked in a potential perm deal, but I doubt that very much or they’d already have communicated it. 

Just now, Stuart said:

Typical Stuart “if you don’t agree, you must be part of some group opposed to the betterment of BRFC!”

Just now, K-Hod said:

Given how many goals we shipped last season, new defenders were more of a priority than Sam Gallagher, for example!

Like I said, if they’ve looked around and felt most of the options within our remit aren’t that much better than what we’ve got, then hiring a new technical development coach to move on the graduates makes perfect sense.

The black and white “Why’ve we spent 12m on strikers” completely ignores what we have coming through, and the pitfalls of a market we aren’t leaders in! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stuart said:

All true at the most basic level. But the real genius lies in understanding that past achievements or successes do not correlate directly to future successes. 

So many successful people failed time and time again before getting it right. If they had been dragged down by past experiences, become cynical and relied on hindsight they could never have eventually succeeded.

People (even Venkys) change because they learn. Their past does not dictate their future performance. 

This is why the glass half empty crew rarely feel the happiness that others do. Or the success.

Edited by Paul Mani

Just now, Paul Mani said:

All true at the most basic level. But the real genius lies in understanding that past achievements or successes do not correlate directly to future successes. 

So many successful people failed time and time again before getting it right. If they had been dragged down by past experiences, become cynical and relied on hindsight they could never have eventually succeeded.

People (even Venkys) change because they learn. Their past does not dictate their future performance. 

This is why the glass half empty crew rarely feel the happiness that others do. Or the success.

This is actually complete nonsense.

• Like 7

Just now, Stuart said:

This is actually complete nonsense.

Of course it is to you Stu. Because you stated, you rely on past experience to create cynicism which you feel gives you the benefit of hindsight. 

I’d have been blown away if you’d agreed with it tbh.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

The number one keeper choice has been kept under wraps and I don't believe it is any of the names mentioned so far. The deal hit a snag but could still come off. 

Walton was definitely a late, plan B option but could end up being first choice by default.

I can't imagine Brighton are loaning us their promising GK to sit on the bench. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biz said:

And in your opinion he’s had enough chances to prove one way or another how good he is? 

Yes, but I suppose it's all about your expectations.   I think with the money that was available over the last couple of seasons that we would be pushing top 6, we need better than Hart for that.  He may do well in league 2 or 1 on a good day, but we need better and if the coin hadn't been squandered on Brereton and Gallagher we could have had a quality LB and CH . 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, but I suppose it's all about your expectations.   I think with the money that was available over the last couple of seasons that we would be pushing top 6, we need better than Hart for that.  He may do well in league 2 or 1 on a good day, but we need better and if the coin hadn't been squandered on Brereton and Gallagher we could have had a quality LB and CH . 

And then we would woefully short up top. DG is not getting younger nuttall and Samuel are for me the same as your Hart analysis and Armstrong will never be an option as a lone striker. 

Just now, Beanie01289 said:

And then we would woefully short up top. DG is not getting younger nuttall and Samuel are for me the same as your Hart analysis and Armstrong will never be an option as a lone striker. 

You've forgotten the £7 Million man.

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, Biz said:

Typical Stuart “if you don’t agree, you must be part of some group opposed to the betterment of BRFC!”

Like I said, if they’ve looked around and felt most of the options within our remit aren’t that much better than what we’ve got, then hiring a new technical development coach to move on the graduates makes perfect sense.

The black and white “Why’ve we spent 12m on strikers” completely ignores what we have coming through, and the pitfalls of a market we aren’t leaders in! 

You’re over complicating things again lad. Very frustrating. We needed defenders more than we needed to sign Sam Gallagher. If we go into the season with Mulgrew at centre half again, we will concede loads of goals.

Our own manager said ‘defenders are coming’. If, now they aren’t, then the concession of goals will be coming a lot again....

• Like 3

Although it is a little worrying we are so, so close. Once the lad from City comes in if we then signed a quality centre half I would be over the moon with the quality of our squad. We are one player off a very capable team. I'm hoping it's all just smoke and mirrors 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course it is to you Stu. Because you stated, you rely on past experience to create cynicism which you feel gives you the benefit of hindsight. 

I’d have been blown away if you’d agreed with it tbh.

That’s not what I said at all but that’s some amazing spin.

I guess our transfer business so far must be a source of huge optimism for you.

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You’ve missed your calling, must be a book in you ^_^

Just now, Mattyblue said:

You’ve missed your calling, must be a book in you ^_^

“How to be a better fan”

Not so much a book as a 10-step guide on a click-bait Facebook page.

1. When your half time pie burns the roof of your mouth, consider it an opportunity to cleanse your pallet by take another swig of your (half full) pint of the finest Fosters...

• Like 2

It's a pretty spicy take from Mowbray to flog our goalkeeper and replace with a loan. If we are looking at bringing in an experienced keeper as well you have to wonder why...  I doubt Brighton would've agreed to a loan if Walton wasnt gonna be number 1. If it's to bring an older GK in to mentor Walton and Fisher then I could understand it, but then you naturally have to ask what our GK coach is actually doing ?.

Anyway, I'm not disappointed with the deals so far but I'm not resoundingly delighted either. I'm hopeful that the young city last isn't the only defensive outfield player on the way but if it is then I'd be pretty darn concerned.

I am incredibly thankful to TM for getting us back in the championship at the first attempt and despite his dour persona I think he's been great for us when we were on our knees after Coyle....BUT, if we don't bring those defenders in that he said were coming then he's gonna look a bit silly. I really appreciated him being so honest when he said the defence hadn't been good enough. I just hope the club does the right thing and strengthens at the back as this window is looking like a bit of a make or break scenario for TM with the deals done so far.

Edited by sharpysharps86
  • Like 3

I don’t think he has a ’dour persona’, Lambert was a fine example of that.

He’s more ‘jumpers for goalposts’, naively enthusiastic, which I find quite endearing for a fella that’s been around this cesspit of an industry for so long.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9