BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think he has a ’dour persona’, Lambert was a fine example of that.

He’s more ‘jumpers for goalposts’, naively enthusiastic, which I find quite endearing for a fella that’s been around this cesspit of an industry for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his for sure...perhaps dour was a poor word to use.

Just now, sharpysharps86 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of his for sure...perhaps dour was a poor word to use.

I wouldn't say Mowbray as a man was "dour" but his team selections and football certainly are.

Although the last 6 games of last season were glorified friendlys and didnt mean anything, it was nice to see Armstrong on the correct side and Rothwell being let loose on the opposition with Dack inbetween them.

Unfortunately I think we'll revert back to type at the start of the season with the most uninspiring lineups possible, in other words the 11 that started against Rsngers save Walton for Leutwiler.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr X said:

We can start playing out from the back now! Play can evolve.

I hope he's as good as Pep says, we need a quality CB, desperately. If we can get 1/2 (another FB) then we could give the play offs a shot. Fingers crossed he cuts the mustard.

What the hell does that Pep know, if you really want to know how he is read here and WBA fans comments.

42 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That’s not what I said at all but that’s some amazing spin.

I guess our transfer business so far must be a source of huge optimism for you.

As stated at the beginning, I’m waiting for the end of the window. Then I’ll make my judgement. I don’t think that squad is far off being able to challenge for top 6 now. Still need Ada and one more experienced, tried and tested cb. 

Then I’ll be happy. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

All true at the most basic level. But the real genius lies in understanding that past achievements or successes do not correlate directly to future successes. 

So many successful people failed time and time again before getting it right. If they had been dragged down by past experiences, become cynical and relied on hindsight they could never have eventually succeeded.

People (even Venkys) change because they learn. Their past does not dictate their future performance. 

This is why the glass half empty crew rarely feel the happiness that others do. Or the success.

Why wouldn't they? They're half way to another drink.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

You’re over complicating things again lad. Very frustrating. We needed defenders more than we needed to sign Sam Gallagher. If we go into the season with Mulgrew at centre half again, we will concede loads of goals.

Our own manager said ‘defenders are coming’. If, now they aren’t, then the concession of goals will be coming a lot again....

You’re over simplifying again there mate, it’s very frustrating.

Of course there is room for questions about what is available and why, but you’ll never be able to justify the sweeping and close minded shut down to any argument with “He said DEFENDERS ARE COMING FFS” 

You don’t need to be so closed minded, it doesn’t suit you.

We are EXPECTED to add the city lad, and we’ve ALREADY replaced the GK, and we’ve at least 3 young defenders on the cusp of the first team squad.... 

Do you see why a few of us see the “SIGN MORE DEFENDERS RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE” and get a bit pissed off? 

Maybe, just maybe - behind the scenes, things are happening that you aren’t aware of.. maybe eh!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, but I suppose it's all about your expectations.   I think with the money that was available over the last couple of seasons that we would be pushing top 6, we need better than Hart for that.  He may do well in league 2 or 1 on a good day, but we need better and if the coin hadn't been squandered on Brereton and Gallagher we could have had a quality LB and CH . 

So watching someone 5 times in 2 years, 3 as a substitute, 2 FA trophy games, who is 23 years old is enough for you to say he ain’t good enough?

Sorry mate but that’s impossible from where I’m standing. Unless you watch training?

Also -around 12m we’ve spent over 3 windows so far. Do you know that Wolves spent 4m more than that on one defensive midfielder the season they got promoted?

Not including many of their other signings that year came as frees (ruddy, Bennett) or cheap/on loan (Jota, Mir etc)

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Of course there is room for questions about what is available and why, but you’ll never be able to justify the sweeping and close minded shut down to any argument with “He said DEFENDERS ARE COMING FFS” 

We are EXPECTED to add the city lad, and we’ve ALREADY replaced the GK, and we’ve at least 3 young defenders on the cusp of the first team squad.... 

Do you see why a few of us see the “SIGN MORE DEFENDERS RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE” and get a bit pissed off? 

Maybe, just maybe - behind the scenes, things are happening that you aren’t aware of.. maybe eh!

Great post Biz. There’s no maybe about it. Massive changes integrated by Mowbray with the intro of Jonty and intense focus on pulling this crop of brilliant young players into the first team...Buckley, Butterworth, Magloire, JRC and Grayson making HUGE steps in preseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz said:

End of the day the window isn’t shut. So yes much may be occurring behind the scenes. 

But I think you are under playing just how bad we were at the back last season, I don’t need TM to tell me that defenders are needed!

In my view, we’ve done a like for like GK swap (in terms of ability), so bringing in young defenders on loan and looking to blood academy defenders would be great for a solid defensive unit. However, ours is one of the very worst back lines in the EFL and it would be fool hardy and unfair to expect young lads to step into the breach, even if the academy lads are making supposed huge strides.

Unless I’ve read your post wrong and you are expecting an experienced centre half and Tosin/Academy lads will be to supplement said experienced head? if so, then i’d be fine with that. If such a player doesn’t arrive then it’s a massive risk 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Great post Biz. There’s no maybe about it. Massive changes integrated by Mowbray with the intro of Jonty and intense focus on pulling this crop of brilliant young players into the first team...Buckley, Butterworth, Magloire, JRC and Grayson making HUGE steps in preseason.

No but Paul he said DEFENDERS ARE COMING RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

9D711142-3670-4ED8-8691-93C75F3C32A9.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Don't be surprised if most of them go on loan.....

45 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

It's a pretty spicy take from Mowbray to flog our goalkeeper and replace with a loan. If we are looking at bringing in an experienced keeper as well you have to wonder why...  I doubt Brighton would've agreed to a loan if Walton wasnt gonna be number 1. If it's to bring an older GK in to mentor Walton and Fisher then I could understand it, but then you naturally have to ask what our GK coach is actually doing ?.

Just speculating but ... Maybe the scenario is that the main target still has a year left on his contract and the fee his club still want and his wages were just too hot for us , loaning a GK for 12 months give us a chance to re-visit that target next year . 

I know there talk was we were looking at bringing 2keepers in ... I don't think we should I would be happy ... No let me re-word this .. I would rather we go with Walton and the Canadian and bring in another Defender than use whatever budget is left on a 3rd keeper 

• Like 6

End of the day the window isn’t shut. So yes much may be occurring behind the scenes. 

But I think you are under playing just how bad we were at the back last season, I don’t need TM to tell me that defenders are needed!

In my view, we’ve done a like for like GK swap (in terms of ability), so bringing in young defenders on loan and looking to blood academy defenders would be great for a solid defensive unit. However, ours is one of the very worst back lines in the EFL and it would be fool hardy and unfair to expect young lads to step into the breach.

Unless I’ve read your post wrong and you are expecting an experienced centre half and Tosin/Academy lads will be to supplement said experienced head? if so, then i’d be fine with that. If such a player doesn’t arrive then it’s a massive risk 

First bold part - I thought we did ok since we’d just come back up, so I’m not playing anything up or down.

Secondly - I just made the point in that post to Kenny that it’s just not as simple as (Amazon esq) “add experienced defender to basket” then pay.

Especially if you don’t pay top fees or wages. Not forgetting we’ve got Grayson, Magliore, JRC and Hart potentially hitting the squad. There’s Wharton too. 

Just now, Biz said:

First bold part - I thought we did ok since we’d just come back up, so I’m not playing anything up or down.

Secondly - I just made the point in that post to Kenny that it’s just not as simple as (Amazon esq) “add experienced defender to basket” then pay.

Especially if you don’t pay top fees or wages. Not forgetting we’ve got Grayson, Magliore, JRC and Hart potentially hitting the squad. There’s Wharton too. 

We did ok up till January time, but like many a promoted side, levels dropped. I’d be surprised if you didn’t think that back line needed reinforcing back in May 

Not saying it’s easy, I’m saying it’s very risky to expect those listed names to improve such a poor defence. 

We did ok up till January time, but like many a promoted side, levels dropped. I’d be surprised if you didn’t think that back line needed reinforcing back in May 

Not saying it’s easy, I’m saying it’s very risky to expect those listed names to improve such a poor defence. 

I think I said we needed a “big ugly centre-half” last summer personally, I thought we might go for someone like Che Dunkley

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Biz said:

I think you're over-egging the pudding. Mowbray was quite scathing about the defence towards the end of last season and did say "defenders are coming". So we were entitled to think

the defence would be substantially over hauled and several new defenders would come in. Otherwise he would have said something like "I'm unhappy with the defence but luckily there

are several youngster ready to step up."

A youth from City, sale of a contract player for a loan GK does not cut it.

Maybe things are happening behind the scenes, I certainly hope so but its very late and, most mystifying of all, Mowbray's emphasis has been on mid-fielders and a striker!

We needed a striker, particularly since we ludicrously misspent £7M on Brereton, but we needed a suitable centre-back (or two) first.And we still need a left-back and we have been linked with none.

• Like 2

LT: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17789935.rovers-keen-cut-squad-size-window-shuts/

Championship clubs have until August 8 to make new signings, though the window doesn’t shut for League One and League Two sides until the end of next month.

That means incomings will be the priority for Mowbray who could still move for an experienced central defender to complement the summer signings already made.

He (Mowbray) added: “When I look at the squad I know what we needed to try and create some competition.

“You know as well as I do, if not better, where that needs to be. We will do that over the next two weeks.”

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1