BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, OJRovers said:

Anyone think that Venkys will pull some money out of the bag at the 11th hour like last year?

We hear from Mowbray that they want to invest.

If anything I can see money being thrown at a winger.

Is this not an assumption based on late signings?

Every signal I’ve seen from SW/TM suggests budgets are agreed beginning of window 

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

My brother in law is a Dale fan, he says he is very average and he watched him more times than your 1 preseason game.  I'm surprised you use a non game as a yardstick....

Like I say, we need much better than Sam Hart in order to progress up the league.

In the limited time I actually saw him play. I will say in my opinion  he is a better left back that Bell. This discussion started about if Hart is an improvement at left-back, I think he is ! With reference to the merits of judging players. Would you say a player would be more motivated in a game where he will be picked the next game regardless of how he performs. Or in a game where if he shows well he could be picked for a team  divisions higher. Even if it is a friendly I would be going for the latter

• Like 1

Hilarious stuff this morning on here.

It's been the way for a few to try and accuse fans of reading between the lines in regards to managers comments and that TM is the beacon of honesty who's every word we should hang on as he's the boss and his word is final/

NOW when he does say things in public it's to be passed off as just a reaction and not to read too seriously into it because it doesn't suit THEIR present narrative.

Those goalposts have just about circumnavigated the pitch now lads give it a rest you know as well as we do he intended to get some defenders in but had his pants pulled down on the no 1 long standing target and switched attention and funds to other targets when it became known they were available also a bit like Brexit the keeper situ probably became a big unwanted distraction.

The defence is young it's weak, the keeper is new and kids aren't ready and need loaning / introducing slowly there is no Phil Jones or Grant Hanley there ready to step in yet that's obvious. We need a good 1st team ready CB to bolster what is shaping up to be imo a potential good side further up the pitch, why waste it ?

Do we want a conveyor belt of young average defenders to sell whilst weakening the side or do we want a rock solid centre defence to give the team a platform to finish as high up as possible ?

• Like 6

Just now, Biz said:

I

So end of last season after league one?

This was the team vs Oxford 

Armstrong was on loan so went back, As was Antonnson (on the bench)

First of all;

1. Adam Armstrong would’ve been one id taken first since the link, with a loan ending. Plus he can play both upfront and out wide and will get better.

2. This is before Travis had fully stepped up so I would’ve probably said next priority (as most rovers fans would agree) improve on Evans and Smallwood

3. Even with AA only DG, Nuttall and Samuel - question marks against both the former (and AA) in a league above, long term replacement for DG needed sorting.

4. Wings. We kept playing Samuel, Armstrong, Bennett and Conway our wide - Chapman has gone back albeit injured - we needed some attacking quality out wide. Desperately.

5. At that point we had Lenihan, Mulgrew, Downing, Plus Ward/Wharton/Mags/Grayson behind. Assuming Ward/Wharton would move on - Downing 4th choice, I would’ve brought another CB. Like I said, a big ugly one!

C560760F-F807-4F1F-95AA-EE79628AA67B.png

Cant argue with points there but I'm referring to the end of last season -Swansea.

• Like 1

Just now, FGS5635 said:

I'd get Grant Hanley back. Think he and lenihan would make a good pairing. Both aggressive, no nonsense types

Some of us have been after a big BSH CB ever since Hanley and Duffy departed. I would have Grant back too but I think he's out of our reach.

Just now, Biz said:

Is this not an assumption based on late signings?

Every signal I’ve seen from SW/TM suggests budgets are agreed beginning of window 

It seemed that last year the Brereton money came available very late in the window last summer, I don't think it was in the original budget. Hence panic buy.

Never ceases to amaze me. Sam Hart is nowhere near good enough for what we need. Makes me laugh when after ok performances against non league Barrow and 4th division Mansfield that he's now considered to be a realistic option at full back in the Championship. Some never learn. 

We're so determined to avoid investing in proven quality in defence that he is now seen as a contender for the team. Frightening.

I think if we had played some semi-decent opposition pre season he might have been exposed a bit more. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Just now, OJRovers said:

Anyone think that Venkys will pull some money out of the bag at the 11th hour like last year?

We hear from Mowbray that they want to invest.

If anything I can see money being thrown at a winger.

I think they are investing in Brereton and Gallagher. If both can score 12/13 goals a season + then their value will really shoot up - such is this crazy transfer market.  I hope people give Brereton a clean slate this season, particularly at Ewood. In my opinion, his last two appearances (in his actual position) have shown him to have something about him (which he failed to show before) and he will benefit from having Rothwell in the side - who makes defenders cack themselves and leave space.  Too often over the years certain types of our 'supporters' quickly and very vocally get on the back of our young talented players and it doesn't help in the slightest. Never has, never will.  

• Like 3

Just now, Pedro said:

I think they are investing in Brereton and Gallagher. If both can score 12/13 goals a season + then their value will really shoot up - such is this crazy transfer market.  I hope people give Brereton a clean slate this season, particularly at Ewood. In my opinion, his last two appearances (in his actual position) have shown him to have something about him (which he failed to show before) and he will benefit from having Rothwell in the side - who makes defenders cack themselves and leave space.  Too often over the years certain types of our 'supporters' quickly and very vocally get on the back of our young talented players and it doesn't help in the slightest. Never has, never will.  

He’s always had a clean slate at Ewood (yes there’s always odd dicks shouting stuff)

Loudest cheer of the season for that Bolton goal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Some of us have been after a big BSH CB ever since Hanley and Duffy departed. I would have Grant back too but I think he's out of our reach.

I havent followed his progress for a while, but i thought he had fell out of favour at Norwich

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’s always had a clean slate at Ewood (yes there’s always odd dicks shouting stuff)

Loudest cheer of the season for that Bolton goal.

Yeah, that was a good moment witb lots of us behind him but there dedinitely are loads against too.

For many, he certainly doesn't have a clean slate on this site. As this thread has shown.

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Never ceases to amaze me. Sam Hart is nowhere near good enough for what we need. Makes me laugh when after ok performances against non league Barrow and 4th division Mansfield that he's now considered to be a realistic option at full back in the Championship. Some never learn. 

We're so determined to avoid investing in proven quality in defence that he is now seen as a contender for the team. Frightening.

I think if we had played some semi-decent opposition pre season he might have been exposed a bit more. 

He looked excellent in the games I saw him play for Southend, and is clearly our best Left back.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

Yeah, that was a good moment witb lots of us behind him but there dedinitely are loads against too.

For many, he certainly doesn't have a clean slate on this site. As this thread has shown.

I think any fan would support him on the day and everyone hopes he will do well.

Many people are just of the opinion (on what he has shown to date)  that he will not live up to his price tag.  What forums are for. 

• Like 3

Just now, Pedro said:

Lot to prove for me. Think it was a panicked signing and in my view it will go down as an error of judgement.

Doesnt mean I won’t support him to the hilt at games.

• Like 1

Just now, Vilesinner said:

He looked excellent in the games I saw him play for Southend, and is clearly our best Left back.

Whatever. Whenever I saw him play for us his was way off and that was in League One.

Bit of a difference between being 'excellent' for a relegation threatened League One side and being good enough for an aspiring Championship one.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Whatever. Whenever I saw him play for us his was way off and that was in League One.

Bit of a difference between being 'excellent' for a relegation threatened League One side and being good enough for an aspiring Championship one.

There is such a thing as development you know.. I haven't been impressed by him either when I've seen him, but I'm happy to reserve a bit of judgement on him until I've seen him play again. He's hardly had any opportunities for us to date. 

By all accounts he's been playing well in pre season and people who have actually seen him play live this pre season seem to think he could be a viable option at left back. Seems strange that you would outright dismiss that. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Or maybe fans are just entitled to their opinion that he has improved? 

• Like 2

Just now, RoverKyle said:

By all accounts he's been playing well in pre season and people who have actually seen him play live this pre season seem to think he could be a viable option at left back. Seems strange that you would outright dismiss that. 

I'm one of those people who have watched him play live this pre season. I accept he's looked ok. I also realise that there are lots of players who perform well in meaningless pre season kick abouts against poor standard opposition. It doesn't mean very much. Impressing against Barrow and Mansfield doesn't mean he will be able to cope with defending against Fulham and West Brom. 

Suspect we will get more of it following tonight. He will probably impress against a Bury side effectively dragged in off the car park to make numbers up. 

Just now, JHRover said:

Similar to judging a player two seasons ago, and judging him now. A simple question for you. At left back do you think he is a better player than Bell, yes or no

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Or maybe fans are just entitled to their opinion that he has improved? 

And I'm entitled to mine that a couple of fitness exercises against crap sides isn't evidence of him being good enough for the Championship.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

And I'm entitled to mine that a couple of fitness exercises against crap sides isn't evidence of him being good enough for the Championship.

And we're entitled to say that a few weak performances two years ago don't define a career.

• Like 1

Just now, iSeeRed said:

And we're entitled to say that a few weak performances two years ago don't define a career.

And I'm entitled to say ' I told you so' when he doesn't play for us because he isn't good enough or our defence continues to flounder as we've failed to strengthen.