BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

33 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Odd one Nuttall. Because of his stature he overpowers a lot of under 23s, but at League 1 level he will face bruising centre halves every week.

He has to move on though, well down the pecking order now.

I'd far rather Samuel went out on loan than Nuttall personally.

I would say BB, Gallagher and Nuttall have it all to prove this season. I wouldn't say Nuttall is particularly any worse than the other two on what I've seen of them all thus far but presumably the other two will be ahead of him in the pecking order given we paid large fees for them.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

And I'm entitled to say ' I told you so' when he doesn't play for us because he isn't good enough or our defence continues to flounder as we've failed to strengthen.

fair enough then

Edited by iSeeRed

Just now, JHRover said:

And I'm entitled to mine that a couple of fitness exercises against crap sides isn't evidence of him being good enough for the Championship.

One poster said they watched him play in league 1 too though where he was good. I suppose that doesn't count either though 

Just now, JHRover said:

And I'm entitled to mine that a couple of fitness exercises against crap sides isn't evidence of him being good enough for the Championship.

Completely fair comment. I just wouldn't use his limited performances for us in League 1 two seasons ago as a stick to beat him with. He's apparently had a good season in League 1 since and turned up in pre season looking an improved player. 

Just now, nathan_rovers1 said:

Can you imagine the scenes if we signed a CB for 7 mil... 

The odd time the thought comes to my mind. That's what Tony is getting the money together for. A nice juicy £6-8 million pound bid for a centre half. Ooh ya now you're talking. 

We can hope.... 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

"Could have bought 2 for that" etc

Ha ha, I would give it about two pages before we got one of them. Should have signed a left back and centre back... 

Definitely get "too late in the window now, hadn't had time to settle" 

Although I  think if we did sign a centre half for that much, the widely general consensus would be "thank God, praise Allah, nice one budda, we love you Tony we do" 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ha ha, I would give it about two pages before we got one of them. Should have signed a left back and centre back... 

Definitely get "too late in the window now, hadn't had time to settle" 

Although I  think if we did sign a centre half for that much, the widely general consensus would be "thank God, praise Allah, nice one budda, we love you Tony we do" 

Won't even play him, he's got his favourites and he's scared of Charlie

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

One poster said they watched him play in league 1 too though where he was good. I suppose that doesn't count either though 

No, not especially. 18 appearances in a side that survived by the skin of their teeth and who couldn't buy a win after January plummeting down the table. 

Lots of players 'impress' in awful League One or Two teams. Shall we sign them all?

• Like 1

Scary that Brentford got Jansson so cheap from Leeds really.

£3/4 million should be buying a really good centre-half, but we dilly around so much and struggle to get things finished.

Tosin Adarabioyo is just Tyler Magloire, Joe Grayson and Hayden Carter in about a year and a half. Yes Adarabioyo has slightly more experience, but only a seasons worth. It's not what we need right now, and the fact this season will appease so many is astounding. I wouldn't mind him coming in on loan alongside another centre-back as back up, but it won't be and that's depressing.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Cant argue with points there but I'm referring to the end of last season -Swansea.

Ah sorry.

1. Defence - at least one CB, another GK to challenge and potentially another FB for either side. However, that’s 4 players - so this isn’t an easy task. CB main one due to Downing going and poor form without DL.

2. Forward line. DG a year older, BB or Joe N not ready to take over full time, AA converted to wing - more options needed

3. Squad Replacements for Conway, Rodwell - potentially from u23s. I’d also count keeping better players where possible as a priority 

4. Not so much positional - but experience would’ve been in my priorities due to the young squad we’ve got

5. A better starting option than Evans 

• Like 1

You've been a fly on the dressing room wall, impressive !   Are you a shape shifter ? ?

Surely if Jake Cooper is in the last year of his contract he could be available. £4million? Would be an outstanding signing. It could be possible as we've seen in previous windows. Nobody ever truly knows what is going on at Rovers. We could be finished for the summer. We could be about to drop a huge wedge. 

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

No, not especially. 18 appearances in a side that survived by the skin of their teeth and who couldn't buy a win after January plummeting down the table. 

Lots of players 'impress' in awful League One or Two teams. Shall we sign them all?

Well if a player is impressing for a team that's struggling, I would say that reflects well on the player.  It's easy to look good in a team that's doing well. 

1 hour ago, OJRovers said:

It seemed that last year the Brereton money came available very late in the window last summer, I don't think it was in the original budget. Hence panic buy.

Didn't Tony say that himself ?

Ignore it it was just reactionary ?

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Scary that Brentford got Jansson so cheap from Leeds really.

£3/4 million should be buying a really good centre-half, but we dilly around so much and struggle to get things finished.

Tosin Adarabioyo is just Tyler Magloire, Joe Grayson and Hayden Carter in about a year and a half. Yes Adarabioyo has slightly more experience, but only a seasons worth. It's not what we need right now, and the fact this season will appease so many is astounding. I wouldn't mind him coming in on loan alongside another centre-back as back up, but it won't be and that's depressing.

I don't know about that. I know our under 23s did better than "big" clubs, but to be kept around at city tells me that the player has something about him. Starting for West borm last season likewise. Would the 3 guys you mention have started for West brom last season? This season even? Would they be kept around at City? He is miles ahead of them. 

• Like 2

I've said since the end of last season that if the first game of next season Charlie starts then we've got some serious problems at the club. If we end up getting 2 centre backs before next Saturday then I will maybe change my view. But he would still have to drop Mulgrew the game after Charlton.

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

Surely if Jake Cooper is in the last year of his contract he could be available. £4million? Would be an outstanding signing. It could be possible as we've seen in previous windows. Nobody ever truly knows what is going on at Rovers. We could be finished for the summer. We could be about to drop a huge wedge. 

I still think we're going to sign a centre half for a fee. Combination of hunch and hope. Cooper and a left back and I would be getting excited. That left back position is a big problem in my opinion but I don't see Mowbray replacing Bell. 

• Like 4

I'd rather we sign a quality CB on loan from a top flight team, rather than an average one permanently. I really don't get the posters who scoff at us making loan signings, we have made many good loan signings into permanent deals over the years.  People need to live in the here and now, the only aim must be promotion. Villa, Wolves and Watford etc. signed quality loan players to aid a promotion push, that's the key - quality.

I really do like the suggestions of Hanley or Dann. We need experience and leadership and it would help with them knowing the club and its 'quirks' .

• Like 1

Just now, ben_the_beast said:

Cooper signed a new “long term” contract with Millwall in December. Although the length wasn’t disclosed I can’t see that it’d only be for an extra year. I think he’d be a great signing, but I think we’d have to double that 4 million to get their attention.

Far more hopeful than confident that we will make some much needed investment in defensive improvements.

• Like 1