BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You strongly disagree Lenihan and Mulgrew are OK? I don't.  It's just we need to have considerably better than OK to have any hope of getting to the top 10 or higher. 

I'm glad you agree with the rest ;)

As a pairing, in terms of Mulgrew being part of that pairing.

I do think Lenihan is overrated somewhat, by far our best defender but he can be incredibly rash. Theres definitely a defender to polish there, and im definitely happy to see him in our team. Mulgrew is well past it though, the stats over the whole of last season show how we perform with him in the team. Even if he played 46 games injury free, that isnt the main problem necessarily.

• Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

Could i just seek the advice of all those who told us the window wasn't over yet and the degree of panic on the MB was way over the top.

My question is "is it time to panic now?"

If not could you tell us "when?"

It's not like defenders need any time to get used to the systems or anything like that, just pull some no mark league 1 has beens out the hat next Thursday, throw 'em in Saturday and I'm sure it'll be fine

Edited by blue_n_white99

• Backroom

Wharton signed a new deal and gone on loan

Firstly surprised he got a new deal I expected him to go, also seems he hasn’t pushed on in the last year or two so hope this spell helps 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, 47er said:

Could i just seek the advice of all those who told us the window wasn't over yet and the degree of panic on the MB was way over the top.

My question is "is it time to panic now?"

If not could you tell us "when?"

I'll leave this post here for now on the basis it may receive some constructive replies, but if it turns into bickering I'll have to hide this post and the replies. Let's try and keep it civil lads.

I'm not so much panicking as just resigned to the fact that we either can't or won't reinforce the defence properly again. If it isn't going to happen now after what went on at the end of last season, particularly with the manager's comments, then I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tom said:

Firstly surprised he got a new deal I expected him to go, also seems he hasn’t pushed on in the last year or two so hope this spell helps 

Opportunity to put himself in the shop window, hope it works out for the lad, just don't think he's good enough for the Championship

Just now, Tom said:

What on earth is the point of giving a 21-year old a 3-year deal when the only loan he can currently get is in League Two? He has to be kicking on to League One now or there simply isn't any point keeping him around, let alone for 3 years.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

Wharton going out to Northampton for the season could well free up the cash to bring in someone else. Expect an arrival very soon.

But they'll tell you incomings don't depend on outgoings...

Wharton won't be on so much that this makes a notable difference to the budget, especially since the new deal may include a wage rise, signing on fee, agent fee, and Northampton may not even be paying all his wages.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Wharton going out to Northampton for the season could well free up the cash to bring in someone else. Expect an arrival very soon.

But they'll tell you incomings don't depend on outgoings...

Good move, after all it's not like we're short of centre halves or anything .........

Absolute madness. If the budget is that bad that we need to let Wharton go to bring someone else in then we are in trouble because Wharton will be on absolute bobbins relatively speaking.

I'm not even sure I wouldn't rather use one of our own youngsters like Wharton and Magloire rather than spend relatively big money on a youngster from Citeh as you can bet your bottom dollar that under TM the default pairing will continue to be Mulgrew and Lenihan and anyone else will just be covering for injury, suspension, or playing in the League Cup.

I think Mowbray has completely lost the plot and the season hasn't even started yet.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

Just now, bluebruce said:

Wharton won't be on so much that this makes a notable difference to the budget, especially since the new deal may include a wage rise, signing on fee, agent fee, and Northampton may not even be paying all his wages.

True. But the way these clowns operate it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they had stipulated that no signings would be approved if there wasnt an outgoing first. If they're leaving it to the club to fund then every penny will count and getting a few grand a week off the bill for 12 months may just do it.

Bizarre situation with Wharton. I understand wanting to keep hold of assets who may come good in future, but a 3 year deal seems excessive for someone who doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first team. I'm actually quite surprised he's still only 21. Fair play to him for breaking through when he did a couple of seasons back. 

As for the loan, why is he going back to L2?? The only way that would make sense for us is if they've guaranteed that he'll play every game when fit. Otherwise he should be trying to play regularly at a L1 club like Hart did last season.

• Like 3

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

"Still waiting" according to Sharpe. The way TM is talking about our defence he probably feels we don't even need him anymore!

Waiting for him to sign/waiting for City to agree a deal/waiting for India to confirm? Which is it??  ???

Just now, RoverKyle said:

Bizarre situation with Wharton. I understand wanting to keep hold of assets who may come good in future, but a 3 year deal seems excessive for someone who doesn't seem to be anywhere near the first team. I'm actually quite surprised he's still only 21. Fair play to him for breaking through when he did a couple of seasons back. 

As for the loan, why is he going back to L2?? The only way that would make sense for us is if they've guaranteed that he'll play every game when fit. Otherwise he should be trying to play regularly at a L1 club like Hart did last season.

Even then. He has already had League Two loans. In most of them he played regularly. He is definitely at the point where it needs to be League One, whether guaranteed starter or not. If he has to break into a team there so be it. Totally pointless arrangement.

Another thing...why does our League Two level young defender get a 3-year deal, when our young established first team squad member (Nyambe) only got a bizarre 2-year deal?

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

True. But the way these clowns operate it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they had stipulated that no signings would be approved if there wasnt an outgoing first. If they're leaving it to the club to fund then every penny will count and getting a few grand a week off the bill for 12 months may just do it.

He won't be on a few grand a week mate. If he is we have really shafted ourselves on this new deal, again.

Northampton won't be paying a few grand a week towards his wage even if that's what he's on here. Very few if any clubs in League Two can pay that kind of wage, let alone for a defender.

At 21 it's not a bad idea keeping Wharton around even if they keep loaning him out lower down they probably feel they'l get their money back from flogging him to a lower league club at some point if he doesn't improve.

His agency seem well in at Ewood with no less than 5 of our youngsters on their books, must be cheap or something.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

67 (?) goals conceded and the worst defensive record in the League away from home last season suggest otherwise.

Ya, but how many games did they play together? How many goals did we concede when it was the 2 of them playing? 

The rest of the post you quoted one sentence from is worth reading before making out I am in favour of that pairing. 

The context of the entire post was that them being injury prone alone is reason enough to sign new defenders

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, tomphil said:

At 21 it's not a bad idea keeping Wharton around even if they keep loaning him out lower down they probably feel they'l get their money back from flogging him to a lower league club at some point if he doesn't improve.

His agency seem well in at Ewood with no less than 5 of our youngsters on their books, must be cheap or something.

If he doesn't improve, he is a League Two player based on his experience level. Do you know how paltry the fees League Two clubs pay are? Even League One clubs don't pay much. Highly unlikely we'd get our investment back. I hope his wages are very very small indeed, signing on fee negligible or non-existent, otherwise this is simply wasting (an admittedly small amount of) money.

It shouldn't have any real impact on the big picture either way, but I find it frustrating to make such bizarre arrangements. Especially when contrasted with the short deal for Nyambe, who has assets that could see him go very far if he is honed.

Even then. He has already had League Two loans. In most of them he played regularly. He is definitely at the point where it needs to be League One, whether guaranteed starter or not. If he has to break into a team there so be it. Totally pointless arrangement.

Another thing...why does our League Two level young defender get a 3-year deal, when our young established first team squad member (Nyambe) only got a bizarre 2-year deal?

Thought he couldn’t even get in the side at Lincoln? A top end League 2 side at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Thought he couldn’t even get in the side at Lincoln? A top end League 2 side at the time.

Correct. That's why I only said most of them. His other loans he became a reasonably regular fixture. Including Lincoln the season before, and Bury (promoted) at the back end of last season.

Edited by bluebruce

If he doesn't improve, he is a League Two player based on his experience level. Do you know how paltry the fees League Two clubs pay are? Even League One clubs don't pay much. Highly unlikely we'd get our investment back. I hope his wages are very very small indeed, signing on fee negligible or non-existent, otherwise this is simply wasting (an admittedly small amount of) money.

It shouldn't have any real impact on the big picture either way, but I find it frustrating to make such bizarre arrangements. Especially when contrasted with the short deal for Nyambe, who has assets that could see him go very far if he is honed.

Platt got another year too and hasn't got a hope of getting near the first team. With him, Wharton and Gladwin I don't think there would be too much change out of £400k wasted on players who were never good enough.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, blue_n_white99 said:

WTF is going on with the Ada deal, he was supposed to arrive a week ago. Our defence is total wank and desperately needs sorting, to blindly go with the worst defence in the league backed up by a few unproven U23s is suicidal.

Have we now adopted the Keegan mantra of you score 4 we'll score 5, as exciting as that may be to watch it's also ridiculously unlikely with one up top. Venkys, Mowbray and Waggot all need a good kick in the slats if they don't sort it out.

As I posted yesterday, I think it's a case of no more fees or wages unless matched by equal or greater outgoings. 

I think we are financially hamstrung which questions the wisdom of shelling out £5million on Gallagher when clearly there were far more bigger priorities.  Brereton revisited........................................