BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Every chance they go down reading that article...

Despite seeing 13 members of his first-team leave over the summer, Cook has made only two ‘new’ signings this summer – goalkeeper David Marshall and midfielder Lewis Macleod.

He’s also brought in defender Antonee Robinson – who spent last season on loan at the DW – from Everton on a permanent basis.

Ya and I think their fans were of the belief that they had money to spend... 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wait you don't rate Brereton and dislike Mowbray, when the change of heart? So boring.

Ah Wharton is just a young lad. Probably on relatively low wages. A year on loan, actually paying this time and he might push on and we can either sell him or get him back for the first team. The club have released a lot of young lads over the last year, no harm taking a chance on one or two who they are on the fence with. Wharton is 22 in two months and in footballing terms, can hardly be classed as a 'young lad'.  50 appearances (including some as sub) in three years and only 2 with Rovers isn't good enough.  I don't think he will ever hack it in the Championship.  The lad should be allowed to leave on a free with a 'sell on' clause.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

I'll leave this post here for now on the basis it may receive some constructive replies, but if it turns into bickering I'll have to hide this post and the replies. Let's try and keep it civil lads.

I'm not so much panicking as just resigned to the fact that we either can't or won't reinforce the defence properly again. If it isn't going to happen now after what went on at the end of last season, particularly with the manager's comments, then I'm not sure it's ever going to happen. 

I forgot you have new responsibilities now!  :(

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

What on earth is the point of giving a 21-year old a 3-year deal when the only loan he can currently get is in League Two? He has to be kicking on to League One now or there simply isn't any point keeping him around, let alone for 3 years.

Being under contract ensures either a fee or Tribunal compensation if he leaves before 2022 and with all the lower leagues experience he will have had, that seems likely. In the mean s loan fee and wages contribution should cover most if not all of the ongoing cost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Could i just seek the advice of all those who told us the window wasn't over yet and the degree of panic on the MB was way over the top.

My question is "is it time to panic now?"

If not could you tell us "when?"

I know we've needed a defence the whole time Tony's been in charge. He has only brought in Bell. We need some experience and know how which will improve Lenihan and the youth players.Times ticking 

• Like 1

If we don’t sign a proper first choice keeper and centre back my expectations for next season will drop from 5-8 to 13-16.  You need a good solid spine and we don’t have that.  I’m sure we could get by with the full backs we have but not without a decent centre back.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well like i said his agency has 5 of our young players on its books including Hart and Mick Rathbone works for them so maybe favours get done both ways.

Not suggesting anything dark at all we know football works this way and to be honest i seriously question whether after the gaffers contacts our scouting goes much further than what certain agents can dig up or move on for us still.

Modern football.

Don't Wolves just use the one agent?

Obviously he's a super agent with their best interest at heart (he makes his money on the side) rather than our previous situation with a certain agent. 

Just now, alcd said:

Being under contract ensures either a fee or Tribunal compensation if he leaves before 2022 and with all the lower leagues experience he will have had, that seems likely. In the mean s loan fee and wages contribution should cover most if not all of the ongoing cost.

I know. Not going to be a whole lot of compensation though. Why aren't we willing to extend the same protection to the far more valuable Nyambe?

Not convinced any League Two club is giving us any loan fees. We will be lucky if they're covering all his wage. Don't see us getting any transfer or compo fees worth a shit from any League Two teams either. Maybe he will improve and become League One level to get us marginally more. Or maybe he will regress and we end up paying his contract out early to get shut.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but how many games did they play together? How many goals did we concede when it was the 2 of them playing? 

The rest of the post you quoted one sentence from is worth reading before making out I am in favour of that pairing. 

The context of the entire post was that them being injury prone alone is reason enough to sign new defenders

Mulgrew is injury prone though. And Linihen was out for a fair while early last season too. Also Mulgrew looked like he couldn't perform well enough at this level anymore and that's why TM dropped now. And he's not good in the air. He scores a few goals but that's not what he's wanted for. He should be the cover!

The lack of cover in that vital area of the pitch, coupled with weakness at full-back is ludicrous. We are going to suffer more embarrassing and unnecessary defeats in my view. 

And I'm frustrated because I simply do not understand it. Its not as if we've had no money to spend is it?

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

My initial reaction to this was also that it was daft. With only one friendly left after it, and the main thing he needs to do is the same thing he has done most his life, make saves.

That said. Communication is the other key part of his job and he could have ended up barking at people he just met, souring his relationship with his defence from the off, or feeling like he couldn't instruct them yet for the same reason. He wouldn't have known how the unit operates (or in our case fails to) and might expect them to push up where they wouldn't normally etc. It also shouldn't do too much damage him not playing - he hardly needs fitness in his position, and he doesn't know the defensive game plan (so-called) to get used to implementing it. As long as he plays at Blackpool and vs Charlton I'm not too fussed.

I'd still have thrown him in at Bury, personally. I can just see a line of logic about it. Something I can't say for other decisions and priorities...

There is logic in everything if you ignore the context and timing.

For instance there is logic in buying two strikers  for £12m but not if you are £180m+ in debt and they aren’t part of a squad that can challenge for promotion because you won’t buy quality defenders. When you apply the context, it makes no sense.

If he had brought in his new number one (we think) in June then him missing the first couple of pre-season games wouldn’t have mattered.

He will still have to shout at the players and upset them even after he has had to endured Graham or Mulgrew parading around the indoor centre in their y-fronts - or whatever team building activity Mowbray thinks he needs before he can face the likes of Bury in a practise match.

• Like 4

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

Don't Wolves just use the one agent?

Obviously he's a super agent with their best interest at heart (he makes his money on the side) rather than our previous situation with a certain agent. 

Everything that's happened at Wolves seems to be what was supposed to happen here but it'll be really interesting to see how it unfolds 

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/wigan-athletic-chief-delivers-transfer-update-1-9901229/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Paul Cook admits he totally understands the ‘frustration’ of Wigan Athletic fans at the lack of transfer activity to date.

But the Latics boss insists everything is being done behind the scenes to get the squad where it needs to be before the 5pm deadline on August 8.

Is this supposed to make us feel better?

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

There is logic in everything if you ignore the context and timing.

For instance there is logic in buying two strikers  for £12m but not if you are £180m+ in debt and they aren’t part of a squad that can challenge for promotion because you won’t buy quality defenders. When you apply the context, it makes no sense.

If he had brought in his new number one (we think) in June then him missing the first couple of pre-season games wouldn’t have mattered.

He will still have to shout at the players and upset them even after he has had to endured Graham or Mulgrew parading around the indoor centre in their y-fronts - or whatever team building activity Mowbray thinks he needs before he can face the likes of Bury in a practise match.

Well, I didn't mean it literally when I said I couldn't see any logic at all in things that have happened. It's just been bizarre when viewed in context.

I don't think this one is bizarre. I just don't agree with it on balance, but not to the degree I'm saying what the hell. I don't think he left the goalie this late on purpose. We are just shite negotiators/unwilling to pay the going rates. In the context of us getting Walton when we got him, leaving him out vs Bury wasn't all that head-scratching. Not like the other stuff.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Maybe the lad hasn't got it and isn't good enough - just like Brereton, IMO.

Given Wharton's been in and around the first team squad for 3 years or more now, I feel he should have been given more opportunity.  If it's felt he's not good enough, why the feck give him a new contract?  It should be simple enough even for the likes of Mowbray and Waggott who, IMO, demonstrate by the day/week/month they are not up to the job.  

Brereton is looking brilliant, perhaps you would be better served giving our young players some support.

He is our top striker this pre season. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, that was brutal but it wasn't that straight forward. He had done a lot of good prior to it, so had credit in the bank. Won manager of the month in February I think it was. We also were never really in danger of relegation. Although I was getting a bit worried. 

I can't see them being happy plodding along in midtable after their audits and subsequent increase in spending. Even allowing for Waggott and Mowbrays relationship. They do their own thing, as we know to our detriment. 

He won manager of the month wooo. Think you're forgetting we lost 10 odd games in a row. 2 points off playoffs in December. Chance to invest to consolidate our position. Didn't consolidate and sent a defender away. 

February onwards our position was already set as we messed up so badly. Then we had a run of fixtures against teams pretty much safe and not fighting for anything. 

So please explain to me how it's not straightforward? 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Brereton is looking brilliant, perhaps you would be better served giving our young players some support.

He is our top striker this pre season. 

By support, do you mean supporting him and getting behind him at games?

Or do you mean  not giving your opinion on him on a messageboard?

• Like 9

Unless Tony plans on using the youngsters is defense this season, this has been an abysmal transfer window. 

I say that as a fan of Tony and what he has done so far. Spending 12 million on two strikers and zero in defense is reckless. Mulgrew and Lenihan are first choice (I'm guessing) and Williams is injured (he is a left back), nyambe is a right back!? We need a commanding centre half, desperately in my opinion and without it, I cannot see us any higher than 12th. Disappointing window thus far. 

• Like 7

It would all be fine if he hadn’t have promised things. If we weren’t expecting defenders we’d all be thinking 12th was a realistic expectation and everyone would be happy with it. 

But because we have been promised so much, we all now expect more, and that’s the club/TM’s fault not ours. 

If TM comes out in June and says look, Raya wants out and the chances of us spending big on defenders is slim, we’d have moaned but had to have accepted it.

Instead we’ve been sold this lie that we can’t expect a full turn around at the back ?

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

It would all be fine if he hadn’t have promised things. If we weren’t expecting defenders we’d all be thinking 12th was a realistic expectation and everyone would be happy with it. 

But because we have been promised so much, we all now expect more, and that’s the club/TM’s fault not ours. 

If TM comes out in June and says look, Raya wants out and the chances of us spending big on defenders is slim, we’d have moaned but had to have accepted it.

Instead we’ve been sold this lie that we can’t expect a full turn around at the back ?

That’s wide of the mark, Joe.

Fans would still have been pointing out that we needed to improve our defence, they’d just have been more easily shouted down by the supporterati.

As it is both the +ve and -ve fans agreed with Mowbray when he said we needed defenders.

Now he’s done a u-turn some folk are having trouble knowing how to react. He can’t be right with both statements so “Trust Mowbray” doesn’t work on this occasion.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

That’s wide of the mark, Joe.

Fans would still have been pointing out that we needed to improve our defence, they’d just have been more easily shouted down by the supporterati.

As it is both the +ve and -ve fans agreed with Mowbray when he said we needed defenders.

Now he’s done a u-turn some folk are having trouble knowing how to react. He can’t be right with both statements so “Trust Mowbray” doesn’t work on this occasion.

I agree... I just mean it would’ve been easier to take

27 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Unless Tony plans on using the youngsters is defense this season, this has been an abysmal transfer window. 

I say that as a fan of Tony and what he has done so far. Spending 12 million on two strikers and zero in defense is reckless. Mulgrew and Lenihan are first choice (I'm guessing) and Williams is injured (he is a left back), nyambe is a right back!? We need a commanding centre half, desperately in my opinion and without it, I cannot see us any higher than 12th. Disappointing window thus far. 

Defence is spelt with a "c". Agree with your post though - as it stands it's been a poor summer window, one that with the right signings could have been transformational for our ambitions next season. The activity thus far indicates Mowbray is happy to tread water in mid table 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Every chance they go down reading that article...

Despite seeing 13 members of his first-team leave over the summer, Cook has made only two ‘new’ signings this summer – goalkeeper David Marshall and midfielder Lewis Macleod.

He’s also brought in defender Antonee Robinson – who spent last season on loan at the DW – from Everton on a permanent basis.

Not the most ringing endorsement of Walton that Wigan chose to sign David Marshall rather than renew his loan deal. Still, time will tell I suppose.

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Defence is spelt with a "c". Agree with your post though - as it stands it's been a poor summer window, one that with the right signings could have been transformational for our ambitions next season. The activity thus far indicates Mowbray is happy to tread water in mid table 

It's not "c", it's 'c'. You should put a full stop at the end too. If you're going to criticise someone, set the example pal.

I also agree with his post and your follow-up.

• Like 2