BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Mattyblue said:

No he’s also a poor player.

You obviously rate Nuttall, fair enough, game of opinions, but in my view he’ll never play at this level again. But he’s young enough to improve, so hope he does. 

Not sure how you can just say he’s a poor player. Mowbray has let that lad down enormously. He will have to take a step backward just to get away. Let’s see how long Samuel stays fit because nobody in their right mind would buy him off us.

Edited by Stuart

I don't think TM Waggot and Venus have come off very well in this window and hearing all the things we do it's easy to come to the conclusion that it's a shambles or whatever, missing out on player after player but are we really that bad or different from other clubs?

As others have pointed out it's been a slow window and not many teams anywhere have done much business, what other clubs do may be irrelevant to some but we share the same market and will be competing against the other teams so to me it shows that most other recruitment teams are finding it hard for one reason and another.

Also in 2019 we are hearing more and more information (sometimes correct and often not) and it sometimes is contradictory but one thing is for sure we hear a lot more than before.

I think it was a couple of years back there was a transfer deadline video on the BBC with the brilliant Chris Wilder at Sheff Utd which showed how chaotic it was, I think this is the case all window for a lot of clubs.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

Of course, we need defenders hopefully we get one or two good ones over the line.  Didn't I read that Sharpe mentioned Hanley might be a possibility again?  He'd still be my first choice as good as the German and Croatian may be I've never seen them and don't have any idea of how good they actually are.

53 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

“But as I sit here today I’m relatively okay with it but we do need some defensive options that can compete with the players we’ve got.”

No Tony. We need some defenders to dislodge and replace the likes of Mulgrew. 

The young lads can provide the numbers. We need quality.

The defence didn't let 69 goals in last season because there wasn't enough competition! They let them in because they weren't good enough!

And they still aren't!!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 5

Just now, danger19_80 said:

"But is still believed that an overseas signing will arrive before the deadline."

Making promises again. Hopefully means the Bormuth thing is close.

Mowbray didn't make any such quote. That is Rich Sharpe's believe

• Like 1

Sadly I'm getting flashbacks now of the last couple of transfer windows and in particular January. We had all similar stuff about 'we've got x days left' 'other clubs aren't doing much' 'plenty of time to go' and numerous 'links' to decent players with Mowbray and Sharpe saying it was going to happen. Then it didn't.

It all comes across as quite amateurish and pub league standard down at Rovers these days when compared to rival clubs. 

All well and good pointing at Leeds or whoever and that they haven't been throwing money around signing players but those clubs have structures in place with on the ball owners, chairmen, sporting directors who can act quickly and decisively to get targets in at the last minute. 

It appears we've now got Mowbray's assistant handling transfer negotiations and then god knows how long of a delay whilst India decide whether or not to approve it. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I see a couple more yet coming in. 

JH, wait until the window has ended please before overall judging. 

Can I please asked why you are disappointed with pre season and our business? 

how do we know that City didn't change their terms or the player change his mind and wanted guarantee 1st team football?

I'm disappointed with our business because, in my opinion, we have Failed with a capital F to address our defensive weaknesses of last season. I believed our manager in March or whenever it was when he made his comments that he 'got it' and would be moving quickly and decisively to address it. Here we are and it hasn't been addressed. The latest botch job in the process has been failing to land a kid on loan after losing out to PNE in a 12 month long pursuit of a free agent from Charlton.

I'm disappointed with pre-season because I think it has been poor. With the exception of Rangers I don't see any sign of our players being properly tested and it irritates me to see rival clubs lining up against continental top division opposition all summer whilst we turn up against a team of Bury trialists. I think it is badly organised, unimaginative and just another sign of the small scale, provincial, low cost approach we operate with these days.

The alternative optimist appoach to the lack of signings is to pin hopes on Mowbray promoting the youth and them doing the job or suddenly things improving with the existing back line. Neither are likely to happen, IMO. Mowbray has shown no desire to promote the youth, the best of them (Nyambe) has lost his place to Elliott Bennett whilst the others (Costello, Grayson, Hart) I don't think are ready for Championship football.

Mowbray will persist with the same personnel because they are the big hitters in the dressing room who he has had in his corner since the day he arrived.

You're an optimist Chris but even you must be starting to have doubts about things now?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I please asked why you are disappointed with pre season and our business? 

Dear boy (welcome back by the way - blue tinted spec sales have plummeted in your absence).

Even the most committed Rover realises we cannot field the same defence that ended last season without expecting the same inglorious results.

We need new defenders desperately - good ones. 

And with the new season imminent, there's no sign of even one arriving. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yet we’ll win 4-1 on Saturday...

Why not?

We are playing the mighty newly promoted Charlton who seem to have worse defensive problems them us.  Surely, Graham and Tony's near £15million trio of Brereton, Armstrong and Gallagher will be capable of blasting them away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm disappointed with our business because, in my opinion, we have Failed with a capital F to address our defensive weaknesses of last season. I believed our manager in March or whenever it was when he made his comments that he 'got it' and would be moving quickly and decisively to address it. Here we are and it hasn't been addressed. The latest botch job in the process has been failing to land a kid on loan after losing out to PNE in a 12 month long pursuit of a free agent from Charlton.

I'm disappointed with pre-season because I think it has been poor. With the exception of Rangers I don't see any sign of our players being properly tested and it irritates me to see rival clubs lining up against continental top division opposition all summer whilst we turn up against a team of Bury trialists. I think it is badly organised, unimaginative and just another sign of the small scale, provincial, low cost approach we operate with these days.

The alternative optimist appoach to the lack of signings is to pin hopes on Mowbray promoting the youth and them doing the job or suddenly things improving with the existing back line. Neither are likely to happen, IMO. Mowbray has shown no desire to promote the youth, the best of them (Nyambe) has lost his place to Elliott Bennett whilst the others (Costello, Grayson, Hart) I don't think are ready for Championship football.

Mowbray will persist with the same personnel because they are the big hitters in the dressing room who he has had in his corner since the day he arrived.

You're an optimist Chris but even you must be starting to have doubts about things now?

no doubts from me at this stage JH. maybe if a week time its the same I might start getting worried. 

The window hasn't ended. surely the time to judge is next Friday not now. 

Just now, Stuart said:

The old BRFCS shut down trick:

“Wait until the window is closed before commenting”.

*window closes*

”Well the window is closed now, we need to get behind the players we have. No point in going on about it now”.

Or

"I'm glad we didn't sign anyone, such and such a young player (who Mowbray then completely ignores) will come on and it'll be like having a new player."

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

It’s just common sense lads. The window closes on August 8th. To judge it before then is just odd. If we don’t get the defenders in then we’ve failed. End of.

Its not wrong for people to judge on how we've performed in the window so far and how they've prioritised expenditure on certain area's. I'll be happier once centre halves have been brought in but the likelyhood is that these will be unproven signings in the most important area that we needed to strengthen. We'll probably be unable to pass judgement on how successful a window it will have been due to our lack of knowledge on the players likely to come in... It all seems back to front and people are right to ask questions. I'm trying to hold my breath until the end of the window but I can't help but be a bit miffed on the lack of urgency in defensive signings given our season's early games. 

It’s just common sense lads. The window closes on August 8th. To judge it before then is just odd. If we don’t get the defenders in then we’ve failed. End of.

Only a week and a half away, and by no means guaranteed we will get the quality defenders in that we desperately require.

Yes, there can be many reasons why it's got so late in the day, but we're now in dangerous, (and potential panic buy / loan), territory.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Or

"I'm glad we didn't sign anyone, such and such a young player (who Mowbray then completely ignores) will come on and it'll be like having a new player."

Keeping our powder dry for January ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

no doubts from me at this stage JH. maybe if a week time its the same I might start getting worried. 

The time to judge is after 5 on Saturday 

You can judge at any point.

Have we made enough of the right kind of signings yet?

I judge that we haven’t.

Do we have any assurance that we will?

No, not really.

• Like 1

I’ve seen too many exciting-looking signings flop, and, to be fair, too many players of whom I had low expectations shine, to join the mass hyperventilating until we’ve seen a few games.

Couple of issues not getting enough airtime on here (IMO):

1) So far, for the 3rd summer running, we haven’t sold a star player. Compared to the summers where we sold Duff, Shearer,   Waggy, Barker, Bellamy etc., I’ll take this one so far.

2) You’d think we had model owners whereas I don’t believe these leopards have fundamentally changed their spots. With this City lad, which is more likely: Waggot, with his 20 years in the game, doesn’t think to ask about loan terms, or Pune baulks late on about the penalty fee if he doesn’t play X% of games? 

Defence needs sorting though.

Edited by Exiled in Toronto
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why sign our  most needed player on the last day of the transfer window?

• Like 2

Very fair comment.

However if you haven't made signings you need by this late stage the suspicion must be you've missed out on all your main targets and are just scratching around for anyone still available.

So arguably you've failed anyway.

• Like 5

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’ve seen too many exciting-looking signings flop, and, to be fair, too many players of whom I had low expectations shine, to join the mass hyperventilating until we’ve seen a few games.

Couple of issues not getting enough airtime on here (IMO):

1) So far, for the 3rd summer running, we haven’t sold a star player. Compared to the summers where we sold Duff, Shearer,   Waggy, Barker, Bellamy etc., I’ll take this one so far.

2) You’d think we had model owners whereas I don’t believe these leopards have fundamentally changed their spots. With this City lad, which is more likely: Waggot, with his 20 years in the game, doesn’t think to ask about loan terms, or Pune baulks late on about the penalty fee if he doesn’t play X% of games? 

Defence needs sorting though.

Defence certainly needs sorting out but we don’t know what has happened with the city lad.  Maybe you are right but maybe he is waiting for someone else, maybe his parents are waiting for a better offer however it’s obvious he or us or city are not committed for whatever reason.  We will probably never find out but given that scenario we should have moved on early last week to give us more time before the deadline or start of season.  

It is poor management for that reason.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Very fair comment.

However if you haven't made signings you need by this late stage the suspicion must be you've missed out on all your main targets and are just scratching around for anyone still available.

So arguably you've failed anyway.

Maybe, but in that case then 90% of clubs have failed. Most of them are heading into the final week without the players they want. 

Missing out on targets is completely normal. The key is, at 5pm on August 8th, have we got the defence sorted? If we have then I genuinely believe that we have the options inmidfield and the forward line to achieve our stated goal.

If not, then we have failed and the manager needs to face the music because that defence is not good enough. But no amount of worrying right now changes that.

• Like 5