BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Listening to Pep and the city fans talk about this kid, it sounds like this is a big year for him and if succesfull could put him on the fringes of the city first team squad

Explains why the lad may be keen to ensure its the right move for him and also means we will get a really hungry player who will be busting to impress and take the next step.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

The lack of games in Europe also comes from this, IMO. Clearly organising matches against decent European opponents and allowing fans on to watch requires a pitch, facilities, stewards, all of which cost money. Much easier and cheaper to jump on the bus to Bury or Rochdale. 

The problem with this is clear - we can't test ourselves against decent teams nor increase the clubs profile abroad or build links with European sides. 

The Liverpool and Everton friendlies last season were an attempt by Waggott to fill Ewood and make money, yet they weren't as popular as expected and personally I didn't enjoy them being surrounded by locals only there to take photos of Liverpool players. 

Pre season friendlies are never a massive puller.  Even the Barcelona game (2001)was no where near selling out on the back of a great season.

Holidays and other things take precedent and I expect there's a fee involved to the bigger club.  

No reason why we couldn't tour Holland or Germany though - especially given our scouting 'links'!

• Like 1

• Backroom
8 hours ago, AAK said:

Hes an excellent keeper at this level. Presume youve never seen him play mate? Hes a very good keeper.

Considering my location I have probably seen and heard more about him than anybody on here tbf. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, DE. said:

Considering my location I have probably seen and heard more about him than anybody on here tbf. 

I wouldn't brag about being inbred, mate ;)

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Parental issues - this could actually translate to parents wanting some guarantees about playing time. If he was my son - I would want some assurances - as going to the Championship to warm the bench won't help his career. At the end of the day he isnt coming to Rovers because he is a fan - it is about playing time to further his career.

Equally, it may well be Citeh who are asking for assurances about the lad's playing time; assurances which may not be easy for us to provide, given the loyalty our management seems to have to our current back four.

I'm sure I read recently about a penalty clause in a loan deal - maybe a couple of seasons ago - between Liverpool and Bristol City where because the player didn't play as much as Liverpool expected, Bristol City had to make a fairly hefty extra payment.

Just now, m1st said:

Equally, it may well be Citeh who are asking for assurances about the lad's playing time; assurances which may not be easy for us to provide, given the loyalty our management seems to have to our current back four.

I'm sure I read recently about a penalty clause in a loan deal - maybe a couple of seasons ago - between Liverpool and Bristol City where because the player didn't play as much as Liverpool expected, Bristol City had to make a fairly hefty extra payment.

Agreed. All part of the modern virus, where too much young talent is hoarded by Premier clubs. We shouldn't be signing anything that ties a manager's hands.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Pre season friendlies are never a massive puller.  Even the Barcelona game (2001)was no where near selling out on the back of a great season.

Holidays and other things take precedent and I expect there's a fee involved to the bigger club.  

No reason why we couldn't tour Holland or Germany though - especially given our scouting 'links'!

Barcelona was sold out.

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agreed. All part of the modern virus, where too much young talent is hoarded by Premier clubs. We shouldn't be signing anything that ties a manager's hands.

I back Mowbray on that score but what puzzles is why they keep wasting their time and don't move on.  Where is his scouting network and what does it ever turn up ?

They wasted time on no 1 defenders are coming target Bauer only to lose that but right at the beginning of the window so plenty time to follow other targets up surely. Instead we've been hanging on Rodwell coming back from holiday and declaring his devotion and this lad for weeks where there are clearly several snags.

Still waiting for things we get presented by 3rd parties instead of being proactive it looks like.

• Backroom
Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Sharpe reckons that Ipswich keeper is off to Milwall so isn't happening.

Strange as he was originally due to sign for Millwall back in June, but it was called off - "medical complications":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48761770

Millwall got a new doctor or something else going on? I suppose Ipswich may have agreed to lower the price as from what I hear they want their new keeper as no1 and Bialkowski will be on a crazy wage for a League 1 second choice keeper.

Edited by DE.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

Sharpe reckons that Ipswich keeper is off to Milwall so isn't happening.

And Bormuth said to have been looked at by Barnsley last year and not convinced he’s better than league one standard !!

what the hell are we playing at ???

we might as well have kept Paul Downing!!

Edited by TBTF
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

Listening to Pep and the city fans talk about this kid, it sounds like this is a big year for him and if succesfull could put him on the fringes of the city first team squad

Explains why the lad may be keen to ensure its the right move for him and also means we will get a really hungry player who will be busting to impress and take the next step.

I thought the reason he has not signed yet was purley down to match time, he wants to start every match if fit, Mowbray probably said you will have to earn your place, so he keeps his old guard happy. In my view if you are on the fringes of playing first team for man city he should be more than capable of starting for us. Bauer probably got the same message from Mowbray as well.

Just now, TBTF said:

We might as well have kept Paul Downing!!

Agree. He wasn't the best - but he wasn't the worst either.

None of the mooted transfer "targets" are likely to be any better - even if we managed to secure even one of them.

• Like 1

Just now, TBTF said:

And Bormuth said to have been looked at by Barnsley last year and not convinced he’s better than league one standard !!

what the hell are we playing at ???

we might as well have kept Paul Downing!!

Yes, because scouts have never passed on a good player before...certainly not the Barnsley scouts...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 47er said:

Always away, always against inferior opposition (Rangers excepted)-----smacks of saving money to me. Don't want the cost of staging a game at Ewood in front of a small crowd.

Hardly adequate preparation for a new Championship season?

We had a poor away record and a good home record last season. Where would you practice home or away?

• Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I may be wrong on this but wasn't the Ewood pitch the recipient of a major redo over the Summer? Hence not used in the preseason.

No, it was relaid as per every summer, but don't think it went much further than that. Waggott's comments about £300,000 investment in the pitch were made out to be some substantial upgrade but when divided up across 3 sites isnt that much and reflects annual maintenance costs.

Today’s Mowbrayism - he’s on about Wharton:

“At this moment he has lots of quality, his physicality is something that three years on from his debut is something he needs to grow in to and I’ve always said that centre halves, the last thing they develop is the ability to play against big, strong centre forward who can knock them about.”

Might actually be right Tony... it’s took Mulgrew 33 years and that ability doesn’t seem to have developed yet. Fingers crossed for this season eh?

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

No, it was relaid as per every summer, but don't think it went much further than that. Waggott's comments about £300,000 investment in the pitch were made out to be some substantial upgrade but when divided up across 3 sites isnt that much and reflects annual maintenance costs.

But in fairness, the pitch was in great nick last season, so they did something right.

Just now, Miller11 said:

Today’s Mowbrayism - he’s on about Wharton:

“At this moment he has lots of quality, his physicality is something that three years on from his debut is something he needs to grow in to and I’ve always said that centre halves, the last thing they develop is the ability to play against big, strong centre forward who can knock them about.”

Might actually be right Tony... it’s took Mulgrew 33 years and that ability doesn’t seem to have developed yet. Fingers crossed for this season eh?

If that is the case why hasn't he been on a core strengthening programme on Mowbrays watch. He had over two years to recognise and correct this perceived weakness.

• Like 2