BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

8 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Hmmmm... Sure Kenny Dalglish (1992) and Greame Souness (2001) would agree with you ?... both of whom actually won us promotion... and then a pretty significant trophy after that...

And... Since Mark Hughes. So that's Paul Ince, Sam Allardyce, Steve Kean, Henning Berg, Michael Appleton, Gary Bowyer, Paul Labert, Owen Coyle. High praise indeed. ?

Did you actually just say Tony Mowbray is a better manager than Dalglish, Souness and Allardyce. You actually did.

2 of what you're drinking! 

Ince and Allardyce only managed us in the Premier League.

Dalglish and Souness predate Hughes.

So no he didn't say that. You misread him.

• Like 3

Just now, 1864roverite said:

Hanley is the man!

If he is. He will need to force his way into contention which if he is hungry (not thirsty) enough will make him an extremely useful addition.

This is pointing towards Magloire going out on loan.

I haven't posted on here for years but I'm a frequent reader. Just saw the Anton Waldemar suggestion and I'm hoping we wouldn't go for him. I've been living in Hannover and watched him play several times. He is highly rated but not by me. He was part of one of the worst teams and defences Hannover have had in a long time. Things were going so badly wrong that they were pretty much relegated by Christmas and he was stripped of the captaincy soon after the winter break. He has been trying to jump ship and Hannover could do will getting rid of some players. Anton won't be at the top of the list though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, incy wincy little spider said:

I haven't posted on here for years but I'm a frequent reader. Just saw the Anton Waldemar suggestion and I'm hoping we wouldn't go for him. I've been living in Hannover and watched him play several times. He is highly rated but not by me. He was part of one of the worst teams and defences Hannover have had in a long time. Things were going so badly wrong that they were pretty much relegated by Christmas and he was stripped of the captaincy soon after the winter break. He has been trying to jump ship and Hannover could do will getting rid of some players. Anton won't be at the top of the list though.

I can't imagine we would be in for him - unless they're giving him away.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

What would be your new position if Mowbray did play Lenihan and Tosin for the Charlton game? Maverick move or something more... positive?

It’s good that we have finally brought in an out and out defender but Mowbray’s comments about him having to work his way into the side over several weeks are so typical that he is becoming a bit of a cliché.

On that basis, one would expect that none of the new signings will start on Saturday and the likes of Johnson and Downing will be introduced to replace of Evans and Bell. Shame for our younger lads who broke into the side at the end of last season then. Let’s see if Buckley and/or Butterworth get any game time this season then. Sadly, the only way they will get in will be cup games or dead rubbers if/when we end up safe and not in the play-off mix.

It also begs the question though, why isn’t Mowbray bringing in players who can start for Rovers rather than players who he doesn’t know whether they will actually be good enough or not. Having identified a need to upgrade he is then saying to his current League One crop: go on lads, you’ve got another chance. The new lads then have to play Tony’s Rotation Game.

Nail on the head.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Wasn't the point he was making, he was saying we don't have pace there. We have it more than we have any other attribute in any other area of the squad.

We don't look like we intend to play a crossing game anyway.

Well if so, we'll just have to watch them go in from crosses at the other end. Football is full of quick players who can cover ground but produce nothing at the end of it.

Bell is an obvious example.

I cannot see the point of ruling out any route to goal myself.

44 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

There is no source IMO Hanley is the no nonsense defender to go alongside Lenihan and Ada in a back 3 and its time to let Mulgrew go to pastures new

He's a dick and would be poison in our dressing room. 

• Like 2

Wigan getting themselves rather excited about their transfer window, but to me they've spent nearly £7m on some absolute toss. We all moan (including me) about who we do and don't sign, but we can safely say we've had a better window than them. Antonee Robinson for £2m, absolute tosh. Joe Williams who sunk with Bolton into League One for £2m, well overpriced. Jamal Lowe, an unproven winger who did okay in League One, £2m, again a risk.

I look at Millwall who've let their key forward go, signed the likes of Frankie Fielding and think, Walton's better than him. Reading have gotten weaker, Luton signing the likes of Butterfield who we rejected after trial, Birmingham sold Che Adams AND Jota. It goes on and on.

I think Bradley Johnson and Sam Gallagher ALONE as two signings alone trump almost all of the bottom half of the league in terms of transfer business this window. 

Edited by JoeHarvey

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Wigan getting themselves rather excited about their transfer window, but to me they've spent nearly £7m on some absolute toss. We all moan (including me) about who we do and don't sign, but we can safely say we've had a better window than them. Antonee Robinson for £2m, absolute tosh. Joe Williams who sunk with Bolton into League One for £2m, well overpriced. Jamal Lowe, an unproven winger who did okay in League One, £2m, again a risk.

I look at Millwall who've let their key forward go, signed the likes of Frankie Fielding and think, Walton's better than him. Reading have gotten weaker, Luton signing the likes of Butterfield who we rejected after trial, Birmingham sold Che Adams AND Jota. It goes on and on.

I think Bradley Johnson and Sam Gallagher ALONE as two signings alone trump almost all of the bottom half of the league in terms of transfer business this window. 

I refuse to get over excited during any transfer window since that year we signed Etuhu and Murphy. Thought we were onto a winner with those two and look how that turned out. 

Wigan may well have signed some dross but equally they may have bought some gems. I remain hopeful as always but I will wait until January/February before I get too carried away. 

Still need a couple of additions before the window closes and I have heard from someone who is chatty with people at the club that we are interested in others. But, as we have seen already, it is extremely difficult to sign anyone. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

That’s exactly what you said. You said you don’t drop your club captain for a new signing as it isn’t FIFA 19.

When Mulgrew got back fit, he couldn’t get back in the side, much to the pleasure of everyone, so I don’t see why he should be a shoe in now (he will be, of course).

New signings have gone straight into sides since day dot, load of rubbish to suggest otherwise.

You haven't a clue man. The defenders and team have been working together all summer. You think it would make sense to bring a lad in who has done no prep work with the team on tactics, set-pieces or formations. 

Absolute nonsense. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

If the replacement is significantly better, which we have to hope he is, then it's criminal to start Mulgrew just because he has experience playing with Lenihan. 

It's not rocket science - they won't be asking Tosin to do anything he hasn't been doing at an extremely competitive level since he was 16. 

I have no problem him replacing Mulgrew after working with the squad. I was probably Mulgrews biggest critic before others even acknowledged how poor his form was. Just not a day or two after signing on loan having not worked with the team or coaches 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Crazy is signing a loan player who isn't good enough to start in a defence that leaked 60 plus goals last season.

Crazy is having all summer to fix the problem and failing to do so.

Crazy is starting the new season with the same defence that let us down this season.

In short, this new signing solves nothing. 

That's crazy

He probably is good enough though. Just needs a bit of time to work on how we play and to get to know the other players. 

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rankin-Costello has been playing right back all pre season

That's true, but I don't think that's where Tony sees him getting his chance bar the odd game.

I haven't had a proper look at Rankin-Costello to be honest, but everything I hear points to him being a Ben Marshall type (only hopefully without his mental barriers to doing it consistently). Can play attacking right back well enough, but is a midfielder first and foremost.

16 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I do wonder if some posters have watched us much over the last few years if they think that we should still be playing a centre back pairing who were regulars in a team that conceded 69 goals last season and the season before that in the Championship were regulars in a relegated team. Talk about setting the team up to fail.

No, we shouldn't be. But the reality is we didn't sign anyone in time. That's disappointing, but it doesn't mean the solution is to drop in a lad for the reasons I mention in previous posts above.