BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

You haven't a clue man. The defenders and team have been working together all summer. You think it would make sense to bring a lad in who has done no prep work with the team on tactics, set-pieces or formations. 

Absolute nonsense. 

Aye ok! 

No new signings go straight into sides. What a crazy idea! Especially players that have recently been performing at this level in front of players that can no longer cut it.

By the way, my comment was about you saying ‘you don’t drop the captain’, my reply was he hasn’t stated a game since March, so a ‘clueless’ comment. But you carry on with your ‘FIFA’ and other poor attempts at insults.

Edited by Mattyblue

16 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Wonder what level you've played at now with this sort of comment. Out of context but intrigued.

Pretty good. I just think that if I played with a guy for years, worked all summer with them to improve what was a poor defence and then two days before the game some guy I don't know is put beside me, I would be a bit concerned. Now maybe the new guy could be great and have a stormer, but then again maybe he could freeze becuase he is young and doesn't know the team or our tactics. 

I didn't want Mulgrew to be first choice beside Lenihan, but where we are now, I think it's the safest option. Hopefully Tosin or someone else force their way in. Actually hopefully they don't and it's because Mulgrew is performing! I can't see that happening though before someone jumps on me claiming I said Mulgrew should start, even though I have clearly and repeatedly said it's not ideal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

What would be your new position if Mowbray did play Lenihan and Tosin for the Charlton game? Maverick move or something more... positive?

It’s good that we have finally brought in an out and out defender but Mowbray’s comments about him having to work his way into the side over several weeks are so typical that he is becoming a bit of a cliché.

On that basis, one would expect that none of the new signings will start on Saturday and the likes of Johnson and Downing will be introduced to replace of Evans and Bell. Shame for our younger lads who broke into the side at the end of last season then. Let’s see if Buckley and/or Butterworth get any game time this season then. Sadly, the only way they will get in will be cup games or dead rubbers if/when we end up safe and not in the play-off mix.

It also begs the question though, why isn’t Mowbray bringing in players who can start for Rovers rather than players who he doesn’t know whether they will actually be good enough or not. Having identified a need to upgrade he is then saying to his current League One crop: go on lads, you’ve got another chance. The new lads then have to play Tony’s Rotation Game.

It's his way. He doesn't put players straight in as a general rule. I think Johnson will buck thay trend though. He is here to start. It can be frustrating. 

What I think if he started Lenihan and Tosin? I would be hoping for the best. I just don't think it would be ideal for Tosin. If he had a bad game then it could impact on his entire time here. A good weeks training getting to know the layers, tactics and formation will give him a  better foundation I belive. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Aye ok! 

No new signings go straight into sides. What a crazy idea! Especially players that have recently been performing at this level in front of players that can no longer cut it.

By the way, my comment was about you saying ‘you don’t drop the captain’, my reply was he hasn’t stated a game since March, so a ‘clueless’ comment. But you carry on with your ‘FIFA’ and other poor attempts at insults.

So you think it would have no disruption on the team to drop the captain for a guy signed on loan 2 days earlier who has done no prep work with the squad? 

OK then. 

You haven't a clue man. The defenders and team have been working together all summer. You think it would make sense to bring a lad in who has done no prep work with the team on tactics, set-pieces or formations. 

Absolute nonsense. 

New signings normally go straight into teams because they're better than you've already got. This new lad clearly isn't better - so fans are entitled to ask why we signed him.

• Like 2

So you think it would have no disruption on the team to drop the captain for a guy signed on loan 2 days earlier who has done no prep work with the squad? 

OK then. 

As an example we signed Paul Downing on deadline day... the following Saturday? Straight in at centre half!

3-0 win. Good job the opposition didn’t realise he hadn’t spent weeks working on set pieces at Brockhall.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Just now, jim mk2 said:

New signings normally go straight into teams because they're better than you've already got. This new lad clearly isn't better - so fans are entitled to ask why we signed him.

You are ignoring the fact he was only signed yesterday and has had no time to work with the squad. 

I am sure all this week the focus has been on Charlton. Talking tactics, what their strengths are. Tosin hasn't been involved in that. 

I'm not saying he shouldn't go in for the next game after getting up to speed. 

• Like 1

You are ignoring the fact he was only signed yesterday and has had no time to work with the squad. 

I

Irrelevant. The best new signings go straight in - because they're very good players. Our new boy clearly isn't in that category. 

• Like 2

As an example we signed Paul Downing on deadline day... the following Saturday? Straight in at centre half!

3-0 win. Good job the opposition didn’t realise he hadn’t spent weeks working on set pieces at Brockhall!

Yes, 9 days after he signed. Giving him the week to work with the squad on the pre-game build up. Tosin hasn't had any time to do this. 

See the difference? 

• Like 3

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Irrelevant. The best new signings go straight in - because they're very good players. Our new boy clearly isn't in that category. 

You writing him off before hes even kicked a ball for us Jim ..? ..Brave..

• Like 4

Yes, 9 days after he signed. Giving him the week to work with the squad on the pre-game build up. Tosin hasn't had any time to do this. 

See the difference? 

Oh I see. 3 days of training over about 5/6.

Come off it BDS. It obviously can be done, as I’ve just proven, it just won’t be on this occasion, so maybe hold off the insults in future.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Nope. But his non-selection says alot. 

Ah ok ..thank god for that then !

Reading the interview TM gave out about Tosin its quite obvious he does rate him and im sure he wouldn't be here if he didn't. 

Can understand him not being thrown in three days after signing for tactical reasons worked out this week (hopefully) ..should have been signed earlier and he probably would have but we ve faffed about getting him in.

Im sure he will  become a regular..although my only other concern is if we have two clean sheets in two games would TM drop Mulgrew and would we as fans want him too ?

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Wigan getting themselves rather excited about their transfer window, but to me they've spent nearly £7m on some absolute toss. We all moan (including me) about who we do and don't sign, but we can safely say we've had a better window than them. Antonee Robinson for £2m, absolute tosh. Joe Williams who sunk with Bolton into League One for £2m, well overpriced. Jamal Lowe, an unproven winger who did okay in League One, £2m, again a risk.

I look at Millwall who've let their key forward go, signed the likes of Frankie Fielding and think, Walton's better than him. Reading have gotten weaker, Luton signing the likes of Butterfield who we rejected after trial, Birmingham sold Che Adams AND Jota. It goes on and on.

I think Bradley Johnson and Sam Gallagher ALONE as two signings alone trump almost all of the bottom half of the league in terms of transfer business this window. 

Agree but we’re not really ones to talk. We’ve spent £15 million on strikers in the last 2 summers and none of them will play up front.

Oh I see. 3 days of training over about 5/6.

Come off it BDS. It obviously can be done, as I’ve just proven, it just won’t be on this occasion, so maybe hold off the insults in future.

No, 9 days over 2. In the week before a game many different bases are covered. It seems you either don't understand that or are so entrenched in your view now that you are refusing to acknowledge this. You've proven nothing apart from something in your own head it seems. 

It would be interesting to read you and others views if Mowbray did start Tosin and he had a shocker of a game. Very interesting. I can imagine what they would be. 

No, 9 days over 2. In the week before a game many different bases are covered. It seems you either don't understand that or are so entrenched in your view now that you are refusing to acknowledge this. You've proven nothing apart from something in your own head it seems. 

It would be interesting to read you and others views if Mowbray did start Tosin and he had a shocker of a game. Very interesting. I can imagine what they would be. 

No chance 9 days of training in an international week, the players are given a fair few days off. Seems you don’t understand training schedules. 

I would say ‘give him a chance’, obviously. You must be confusing me with someone else.

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

3-0 win. Good job the opposition didn’t realise he hadn’t spent weeks working on set pieces at Brockhall.

Swear Mulgrew was injured and then put back into the team the following game when he wasn't.....

He stayed in the bench for a few games before unseating Elliot Ward around the Gillingham game if I remember correctly?

Don't let that get in the way of your argument though.

• Like 1

Tosin probably could play but I doubt we'll see more than a late cameo to be honest, but I'm fine with that.

In fairness a big part of training for a new defender will be on set pieces, an area with obvious room for improvement for us both offensive and defensively. He won't really be up to speed on routines yet. Given how fragile we were last season though you could argue theres nothing to lose throwing him in at the deep end.

I'm almost certain his full debut will be vs Oldham in the cup, ease him in gently rather than baptism of fire at Fulham next week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

Wigan getting themselves rather excited about their transfer window, but to me they've spent nearly £7m on some absolute toss. We all moan (including me) about who we do and don't sign, but we can safely say we've had a better window than them. Antonee Robinson for £2m, absolute tosh. Joe Williams who sunk with Bolton into League One for £2m, well overpriced. Jamal Lowe, an unproven winger who did okay in League One, £2m, again a risk.

I look at Millwall who've let their key forward go, signed the likes of Frankie Fielding and think, Walton's better than him. Reading have gotten weaker, Luton signing the likes of Butterfield who we rejected after trial, Birmingham sold Che Adams AND Jota. It goes on and on.

I think Bradley Johnson and Sam Gallagher ALONE as two signings alone trump almost all of the bottom half of the league in terms of transfer business this window. 

I expect Wigan will finish above us this season, or will be in a similar area of the table. Call me negative but I see them as signing players for specific roles within their team, whereas we seem to like collecting players the manager 'trusts' or for their professionalism and versatility rather than With a particular job in mind and an immediate place in the team.

I see Mowbray as a manager who ties himself into knots with his recruitment and tactics, trying to balance his desired way of playing with the realities of the squad and an inability/refusal to do anything about it hence starting the season with the same old defence.

Only time will tell but I'm at this point unimpressed and quite astonished by our approach to the transfer window this summer. We're a 2nd division side who finished in the bottom half of the table likely to be starting the season with a defence made up of midfielders and £12 million on the bench.

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I always remembered Dalgish in his Liverpool days buying players who then had to wait to force themselves into the first team.

• Like 2