BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Swear Mulgrew was injured and then put back into the team the following game when he wasn't.....

He stayed in the bench for a few games before unseating Elliot Ward around the Gillingham game if I remember correctly?

Don't let that get in the way of your argument though.

Don’t get your point?

My point was simply Downing signed and played straight away.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Don’t get your point?

Because he had to due to fitness issues.

Whereas now he doesn't need to play because Mulgrew is fit.

Paul Downing sank into a defence with Elliot Ward and I remember most on here dreading the thought of it. It worked out ok but don't pretend like it didn't worry us at the time, and that was a poorer opposition (although only just, Charlton aren't any great shakes).

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Don’t get your point?

Could be argued Matty(and im not arguing !) that Downing came in at the end of the window after playing three games for MK and a full pre season behind him so fully upto speed fitness wise.

Maybe Tosin has nt had any pre season as such ..?

Because he had to due to fitness issues.

Whereas now he doesn't need to play because Mulgrew is fit.

Paul Downing sank into a defence with Elliot Ward and I remember most on here dreading the thought of it. It worked out ok but don't pretend like it didn't worry us at the time, and that was a poorer opposition (although only just, Charlton aren't any great shakes).

So you CAN put a new signing in then. That’s ALL I’m saying. Though every situation is different and will be judged on its merits.

Thought it was a fairly innocuous post, but obviously it makes me a ‘clueless FIFA 19er’.

Fair enough, debating brfcs style ^_^

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I expect Wigan will finish above us this season, or will be in a similar area of the table. Call me negative but I see them as signing players for specific roles within their team, whereas we seem to like collecting players the manager 'trusts' or for their professionalism and versatility rather than With a particular job in mind and an immediate place in the team.

I see Mowbray as a manager who ties himself into knots with his recruitment and tactics, trying to balance his desired way of playing with the realities of the squad and an inability/refusal to do anything about it hence starting the season with the same old defence.

Only time will tell but I'm at this point unimpressed and quite astonished by our approach to the transfer window this summer. We're a 2nd division side who finished in the bottom half of the table likely to be starting the season with a defence made up of midfielders and £12 million on the bench.

This comes across a bit “grass is greener” in my book, since I’m sure most balanced Wigan fans would be laughing their heads off at a rovers fan being sort of “jealous” of their overall direction.

They’ve recently lost their best player for free too. Imagine if our summer business involved losing Dack or Lenihan for nothing?

The way you see Mowbray too - he’s had two of his own seasons. For all the mistakes you’re implying, the poor tactical approach, the inadequate transfer and squad utilisation.. It’s impossible to achieve even the basics without some success on all those fronts.

As you say, only time will tell. No doubt there is room for improvement, but in my mind the steps we’ve taken under TM have actually created this expectation. I can’t fathom why many are oblivious to that.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

I expect Wigan will finish above us this season, or will be in a similar area of the table. Call me negative but I see them as signing players for specific roles within their team, whereas we seem to like collecting players the manager 'trusts' or for their professionalism and versatility rather than With a particular job in mind and an immediate place in the team.

I see Mowbray as a manager who ties himself into knots with his recruitment and tactics, trying to balance his desired way of playing with the realities of the squad and an inability/refusal to do anything about it hence starting the season with the same old defence.

Only time will tell but I'm at this point unimpressed and quite astonished by our approach to the transfer window this summer. We're a 2nd division side who finished in the bottom half of the table likely to be starting the season with a defence made up of midfielders and £12 million on the bench.

Completely disagree Wigan are facing a relegation battle. Too reliable on players they no longer have at the club and the players they are signing are not the type of players that will improve on their overall performances of last season.  

• Like 2

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

This comes across a bit “grass is greener” in my book, since I’m sure most balanced Wigan fans would be laughing their heads off at a rovers fan being sort of “jealous” of their overall direction.

They’ve recently lost their best player for free too. Imagine if our summer business involved losing Dack or Lenihan for nothing?

The way you see Mowbray too - he’s had two of his own seasons. For all the mistakes you’re implying, the poor tactical approach, the inadequate transfer and squad utilisation.. It’s impossible to achieve even the basics without some success on all those fronts.

As you say, only time will tell. No doubt there is room for improvement, but in my mind the steps we’ve taken under TM have actually created this expectation. I can’t fathom why many are oblivious to that.

Yep. Being jealous of Wigan's transfers. It's nonsense.

In fact, I remember the exact same being said last season when they signed that Wolschild guy or whatever his name is at the back. "Wigan are buying better players than us"......meanwhile, they spent the season fighting relegation and we sat comfortable for the entire time.

Wigan have lost Powell, Grigg and Macnanaman in a short space of time and suddenly people are saying they have done better business? Who have they signed, Antonee Robinson, Marshall? Bear in mind Robinson is replacing Reece James, probably one of the better players in the league last year. None of their signings are exactly renowned players. The only lad I'd entertain having from them is Macleod from Brentford but there's a reason they released him - he's full of injuries.

It's just b/s. I'm all for opinions but I'm struggling to understand how Wigan's recruitment is thought to be more considered and professional as ours. All they have done is replace the players they have lost with arguably worse players.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No chance 9 days of training in an international week, the players are given a fair few days off. Seems you don’t understand training schedules. 

I would say ‘give him a chance’, obviously. You must be confusing me with someone else.

No, they aren't. Just those in international squads. I think once last season the rest of the team were given days off on an international break. 

Sure you would,. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Yep. Being jealous of Wigan's transfers. It's nonsense.

In fact, I remember the exact same being said last season when they signed that Wolschild guy or whatever his name is at the back. "Wigan are buying better players than us"......meanwhile, they spent the season fighting relegation and we sat comfortable for the entire time.

Wigan have lost Powell, Grigg and Macnanaman in a short space of time and suddenly people are saying they have done better business? Who have they signed, Antonee Robinson, Marshall? Bear in mind Robinson is replacing Reece James, probably one of the better players in the league last year. None of their signings are exactly renowned players. The only lad I'd entertain having from them is Macleod from Brentford but there's a reason they released him - he's full of injuries.

It's just b/s. I'm all for opinions but I'm struggling to understand how Wigan's recruitment is thought to be more considered and professional as ours. All they have done is replace the players they have lost with arguably worse players.

None of their signings last summer were well known but they wiped the floor with us when we went there. 

I'm not saying I'm particularly envious of their business but I do think there is more clarity and decisiveness at some of these clubs and it helps them. Preston another lot. Not got as much cash as here but they address problem areas more decisively than we do and don't use limited funds up on project signings to try and make the owners money and don't keep persisting with experiments like we seem to enjoy doing.

Proof will be in the pudding but I don't think Wigan will be down there. A formidable home record to fall back on.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Just as was predicted on here last season? Eh :)

Not a hope. We will be well ahead of them. 

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

None of their signings last summer were well known but they wiped the floor with us when we went there. 

I'm not saying I'm particularly envious of their business but I do think there is more clarity and decisiveness at some of these clubs and it helps them. Preston another lot. Not got as much cash as here but they address problem areas more decisively than we do and don't use limited funds up on project signings to try and make the owners money and don't keep persisting with experiments like we seem to enjoy doing.

Proof will be in the pudding but I don't think Wigan will be down there. A formidable home record to fall back on.

They only wiped the floor with us because we were shockingly bad, they were not world beaters in any sense of the word. That game was the worst we played all season

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stinny1 said:

i think alot of us are frustrated  because  the teams not far off . And with a couple of experienced defenders  we could have a cracking season

I'd prefer experience too because I also feel we are on the edge of a really good team -  but clearly this City lad has something about him. One of the all-time greatest managers of the game rates him highly and sees a future for him at City. But self-proclaimed experts on websites chip away because they know better than Pep, often without even seeing him.  Kudos to those guys.

I wasn't on this site then but I can only imagine how excited people must've been when we signed Samba and Nelsen ?. I was on when people were slating the signings of Marcus Olsson, or thinking they knew better about the potential of Kalanic, N'Zonzi and even Petrovic who has also gone on to better things. Lesson learned by me, give the players support and a bit of time. Judge them in our shirt, not another.  We aren't a top team anymore, nowhere near one. We can't pick the current best of the best like in the 90's and supporters have to be realistic - bargain bins, damaged goods (which we swerve) or youth with potential for profit.

It is tiresome reading the same old characters on here righteously pulling everything to bits with such blinded negativity - worse so when they lack a pair of balls to hold up their hands when wrong.  I honestly don't get what people get from that. You don't have to be an insane optimist but the proof is in the pudding at Rovers, some of our biggest successes are the unexpected ones. The biggest disappointments are often the expensive ones but everyone loves a battler.  Anyway, cheers to the new season. I can't wait to see what we are actually made of this time.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, renrag said:

Before the transfer window system was introduced, there are dozens of examples of players being signed and playing within days. It was not uncommon for players to sign on Saturday morning and play in the afternoon, Albert Nightingale being one I specifically remember for Rovers

Colin Hendry as well i think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Irrelevant. The best new signings go straight in - because they're very good players. Our new boy clearly isn't in that category. 

Or our esteemed manager hasn't the balls to play him straight away 

Edited by EgyptianPete

Just now, tomphil said:

Colin Hendry as well i think.

Mike Hickman - straight in the team and scored hat trick in 5-2 win over Plymouth IIRC.

Check. He scored 2. Clearly not ready to play

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 3

• Backroom

I won my bet last season with my Wigan brother-in-law for who finished highest.

Asked him if he wanted to go again this year - he refused. 

He thinks they're nailed on for relegation. 

He's also pretty envious of the signings we've made. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Mike Hickman - straight in the team and scored hat trick in 5-2 win over Plymouth IIRC.

Check. He scored 2. Clearly not ready to play

Shur players didn't even have to train before games back then. Probably had a feed of pints the night before as well. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel