BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Similarly I looked over the window for other teams and there really hasn't been any standouts. Costa for Leeds should be a great signing but the good news is that many of the teams with more incomings have also lost key players. We have kept the squad together (touch wood) and improved it. Admittedly some teams are already strong, West Brom, Swansea, Stoke, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Derby and Fulham but it's so far so good and we could easily be the dark horse :brfc: .

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

His debut was a very famous Boxing Day(Stephen's for your good self) at Turf Moor...

"Hark now, hear the Rovers sing; ... ?"

What a day that was; to quote Max Boyce, "I know; I was there!"? [And many others on here too, no doubt.]

• Like 7

Just now, m1st said:

What a day that was; to quote Max Boyce, "I know; I was there!"? [And many others on here too, no doubt.]

That is what being a Rovers fan is all about.

I can see it clearly all these years later.. Rovers in trad shirts with blue shorts, a whitened pitch, orange ball..Stuart Metcalfe spraying the ball about, Wagstaff rounding the keeper and seemingly counting to 100 before actually putting the ball in the net...the appointment with Fear...then hanging on at the end....

Even Venky's will never take that away!!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 6

Just now, m1st said:

First competitive game against them since our relegation in 1966, 11 years of them lording it over us swept away in the best first 45 mins I ever saw. Followed by a collapse to beat anything we saw last season and the longest five minutes of injury time in history.

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

I can see it clearly all these years later.. Rovers in trad shirts with blue shorts, a whitened pitch, orange ball..Stuart Metcalfe spraying the ball about, Wagstaff rounding the keeper and seemingly counting to 100 before actually putting the ball in the net...the appointment with Fear...then hanging on at the end....

I thought Waggy was going to get down on all fours and head it in he took that long!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

First competitive game against them since our relegation in 1966, 11 years of them lording it over us swept away in the best first 45 mins I ever saw. Followed by a collapse to beat anything we saw last season and the longest five minutes of injury time in history.

7 minutes. Jim Smith raced onto the pitch at the final whistle watch in hand to confront the ref. Steve Kindon had raced through our defence (again) in the 6th minute of injury time and put it wide- the dingles had started celebrating their equaliser when he missed and the combination of relief and mocking let loose from the Rovers in the Longside was an extraordinary sound.

Who missed the penalty which would have made it 4 in the first minute of the second half?  

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

And Killer smashing Kindon who was carried off on a stretcher.

And then the song 'Stevie Kindon walks on crutches' was born.

You are spot on Leonard - they will never erase our memories.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

You are spot on Leonard - they will never erase our memories.

Of course- Kindon putting it wide was earlier than extra time but some other Dingle missed a very late chance in front of the Cricket Field End.

Just now, arbitro said:

Brilliant!!

The art of terrace wit to that level has sadly been lost. I also remember the Kop spontaneously singing Careless Hands by Max Bygraves the instant that Gary Sprake chucked one in his own net at anfield.

• Like 1

Good for Nuttall. He has resurrected a career here but is likely never going to be good enough.

Maybe we're smart and add a buy back clause as well as a sell on fee.

Smallwood to go next ?

Butterworth, Grayson, Fisher and Samuel could all probably do with loaning. Bring the squad size down.

• Like 3

Just now, neophox said:

Hope Blackpool pay well for Nuttall, think he will Do well for them. They have cash after Bola sale.

Should we get, say, £500k, I think that would suit all parties.

I would like a decent sell on clause though. I never think he's going to be a world beater, but in a world where Martyn Waghorn can go for £8million, it's feasible to see Nutall bang them in at L1 level and go for a decent whack. Would be a shame to miss out on it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, renrag said:

Before the transfer window system was introduced, there are dozens of examples of players being signed and playing within days. It was not uncommon for players to sign on Saturday morning and play in the afternoon, Albert Nightingale being one I specifically remember for Rovers

Mentioned it before, if I remember correctly, Keith Fear only met his team mates in the dressing room at Burnley on that famous Boxing Day decades ago.  Those of us on The Turf that day were amazed when the team was read out on the ground.  Fear had a stormer as well!

Think Mowbray doesn't half talk some tosh. 

• Like 1