BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

There is no room for sentiment in football it is a ruthless business. Mulgrew has been a decent player for us but the key word there is 'has', his performances towards the end for season were an embarrassment. 

What is football support other than sentimentality?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Just checking - is this moderating?

K-hod is very even handed in moderating the content that people post. Show me one example where he has banned someone simply for having an opinion - whether he agrees or disagrees with that opinion.

You must be really bored if you need to start picking an argument like this one.

• Like 3

Gutted that Joe has had to go. Fully blame Mowbray for holding him back and not helping him to develop. I can’t help think that when Nuttall was dumped out of the side for Samuel (Mowbray’s own man) last season and unfairly - at that time - dropped back to the U23s that it upset Joe and their relationship didn’t recover. Mowbray then went an brought in a more Mowbray-like signing in Brereton and that was the beginning of the end. Even last season, Nuttall showed that he had more about him that Brereton and yet Mowbray again has persevered with ‘his own man’.

Mowbray is a very poor man-manager IMO. In my view he leaves all of that to the senior players (“the group”) and just looks at trying to keep them happy while rotating the fringe players around. He’s a soft touch and he may talk big at times but he doesn’t follow through with his actions - we’ve gone from “defenders are coming” to it appearing that was all the keepers fault. At least the group are happy again now.

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

Gutted that Joe has had to go. Fully blame Mowbray for holding him back and not helping him to develop. I can’t help think that when Nuttall was dumped out of the side for Samuel (Mowbray’s own man) last season and unfairly - at that time - dropped back to the U23s that it upset Joe and their relationship didn’t recover. Mowbray then went an brought in a more Mowbray-like signing in Brereton and that was the beginning of the end. Even last season, Nuttall showed that he had more about him that Brereton and yet Mowbray again has persevered with ‘his own man’.

Mowbray is a very poor man-manager IMO. In my view he leaves all of that to the senior players (“the group”) and just looks at trying to keep them happy while rotating the fringe players around. He’s a soft touch and he may talk big at times but he doesn’t follow through with his actions - we’ve gone from “defenders are coming” to it appearing that was all the keepers fault. At least the group are happy again now.

I'm looking forward to Saturday as well mate.  Could do a lot worse than Mowbray. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Miller11 said:

“Defensively, do we need another one? We’ll look, but only if it’s the right one who will bring some versatility.”

This baffling obsession with “versatility” needs to stop now, it’s got beyond ridiculous.

We need quality.

But it's not versatility, is it? It's a reflection of TM as an individual.

if there is one constant with TM, it is he is inconsistent. Words, tactics, players, etc, one week we play 532, next 4231, as to why, who knows, but I haven't seen many teams that chop and change aspects so frequently, be successful. Most successful teams play their way, their formation and don't chop and change key aspects so often.

This for me plays a role in his 'signings' inconsistent choices require players of multiple roles to accommodate his choices.

This will be his downfall.

Edited by Dr X
Cause I can ?

38 minutes ago, Stuart said:

How has he got Dack playing the best football of his career? 

• Like 7

Not sure what to make of this transfer window. Hive of activity but Reed out and better than anyone we’ve brought in. Raya out no one properly replaced him. Then still haven’t really addressed defensive issues. Or putting massive hope in this kid from citeh.

Just now, matt83 said:

Not sure what to make of this transfer window. Hive of activity but Reed out and better than anyone we’ve brought in. Raya out no one properly replaced him. Then still haven’t really addressed defensive issues. Or putting massive hope in this kid from citeh.

My take - In the development of Travis and intro of Johnson we are now stronger in the middle. This will be proven by the omission of Evans who played most games last season. 

Raya has been replaced by Walton and at this point we cannot judge whether that is an improvement or not.

The introduction of Gally, Johnson, Downing, Tosin and Walton can be judged on quality, impact and value over the season but there is no doubt that we have added championship experience to a team which had the second lowest average age and limited game management qualities before.

The glaring problem to me is that we still need a defender or two before the window closes in just less than a week.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Is any of that based on fact? Samuel was injured within the first few games so didn't hold back his development  and Brereton was played wide and off the bench.  Nuttall did ok in spells but always seemed lightweight for a big lad and like the others didn't overly impress. Sadly, he only proved to be not a patch on DG and I couldn't imagine him being good enough to lead our line long term.  Also, the players are always complimentary about Mowbray's man-management aren't they?

I agree with the rotating though. For me, it should be a best and consistent 11 every week until they are fatigued or injured. Square pegs in round holes should only be during an injury crisis.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 1

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

And a lot better 

Two full seasons, minimum expectation achieved both times:

Only manager to do that in last 10 years was Big Sam, and that was a fleeting moment.

If we fail to move further on this season or go backwards, I’ll start to understand the constant moaning, criticism, choosing of one quote in thousand to make a point and the sheer will full ignorance that only focuses on things perceived “wrong”

A bit like being hugely critical of selling Nuttall (our 4th choice CF at best) for the same price we bought Dack. 

• Like 4

Which managers can we realistically get who are proven or can reasonably be argued to be better than TM? This isn't me saying he is the Messiah, but I do sometimes get the impression that some fans still believe we are a well established Prem club with a good infrastructure and operating model i.e. a really attractive proposition.

In respect of his man-management, he is criticised for this and yet criticised for improving contracts. Crucially the players seem happy, I don't recall anyone demanding transfers and he seems respectful of his players. Look at how Downing was handled - possibly to our detriment as a team - let him go on loan as wasn't playing much in order to try and earn a contract. Appears to be looking after Gladwin as well when many here would happily cast him away. You might not agree with the decisions but it can't he isn't looking after the players - a huge part of man management

• Like 2

For what it's worth, Nuttall has the ability to get in the right place which contributes to his high offside count but also makes him a natural goal scorer. Don't know if Blackpool have enough ability to get the ball into the right place for him.

Other than that precious ability, Nuttall always struck me as fairly ordinary. Compared with Danny Graham whom he most closely resembles, he is simply not remotely good enough and it appears he was rated behind Dominic Samuel.

Good luck to him at Blackpool. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Nuttall not in betting yet.

Norwood and Marquis are about 8/1.

Out of the three, I'd normally go for Nuttall but think Ipswich and Pompey have better all round sides to help their strikers.

I think Nuttall will get 15 to 20 goals for Blackpool this coming season.

Out for dinner tonight with a Blackpool fan who uses the hospitality facilities there (asked me to Oxford match there later in month) and he reckons Sadler and Grayson are buzzing about the Nuttall signing.

No doubt Grayson junior will of given senior an heads up on Nuttall. How he trains, attitude etc 

I for one hope Nuttall does well and lights up league one, and wish him all the best!

Edited by pomster
  • Like 2