BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, tomphil said:

And also bought Steele ?

Steele is such a weird one. Always gets signed but always looks terrible. I think he's part of the reason people think Raya is so good because in comparison he was like Freidel.

Just now, Pedro said:

Steele is such a weird one. Always gets signed but always looks terrible. I think he's part of the reason people think Raya is so good because in comparison he was like Freidel.

Yes very good point he was an instant upgrade but it was league 1 after all i'm not sure how he'd have coped having a first full season at Champ level at that point.

As for Steele it's another of those, he has a well connected agent or he works cheap so is seen as handy 2nd/3rd choice.

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Surely it is also due to not having players of sufficient quality to consistently win enough matches over a full season.

To some degree, yes, but there were many teams above us last season who weren't any better than us quality wise (imo anyway). We showed on occasions that we could mix it up and give a game to the best teams in the division. Conversely we would then go to poorer teams and struggle. Think it's a symptom of always being set up as the underdog, something we've had instilled in us since the GB days. I genuinely think bit of extra belief from the management and subsequently the players could get us 6 or 7 more points. Now granted last season that still wouldn't have been anywhere near enough to get into the top six, so yeah, there is an issue with quality as well - but we'll have to see whether the additions of Walton, Gallagher, Johnson, Downing and Tosin are enough to bridge that gap. Personally I don't think so, but who knows? 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

Surely it is also due to not having players of sufficient quality to consistently win enough matches over a full season.

I don't think it's that. We gave every team a game last season. Bet many of those in the top 6 and should have gotten more points off them. 

There was a shaky nervousness about us at times. I'm not blaming Raya completely, but I think his decision making and command of the box didn't fill the rest of the team with confidence. Particular when holding a lead and under the kosh. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Lee0r said:

08FED8D0-566A-4980-BC04-79797772AD2D.png

A number of sites previewing the upcoming season have him listed in our players out category as released. Shame for the lad as that will be almost 3 seasons without playing. Must be nearing calling it a day....

e.g. https://www.newsatden.co.uk/72547-2019-20-predictions-upper-mid-table-blackburn-derby-swansea-huddersfieldhttps://www.newsatden.co.uk/72547-2019-20-predictions-upper-mid-table-blackburn-derby-swansea-huddersfield

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I don't think it's that. We gave every team a game last season. Bet many of those in the top 6 and should have gotten more points off them. 

There was a shaky nervousness about us at times. I'm not blaming Raya completely, but I think his decision making and command of the box didn't fill the rest of the team with confidence. Particular when holding a lead and under the kosh. 

We finished 15th. And went on a two month run where we couldn’t buy a win. 

We had a good first half of the season, a lot to be said for the momentum and confidence a promotion can bring. However, a lack of consistency is the hallmark of a side that isn’t good enough to last the course. No shame in that, we needed better players.

Edited by Mattyblue

We finished 15th. And went on a two month run where we couldn’t buy a win. 

We had a good first half of the season, a lot to be said for the momentum and confidence a promotion can bring. However, a lack of consistency is the hallmark of a side that isn’t good enough to last the course. 

That 2 month run killed us. If we got 15 points out of 33 , instead of 4 out of 33, we would have been right there in play-off contention. It's not a huge gap. We obviously weren't good enough over the season though. We need to be able to absorb inevitable injuries better. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Alot, obviously.  The lad's already 21 and is so good he's yet to make an appearance for City. 

He has played for them 7 times in the Champions league. Does that not count? Ya, he must be rubbish. Pep is always keeping bad players around just for the fun of it.  Have you read Peps quotes about him? They have been on here a few times. In the context of Peps opinion on the lad, your quote above is silly. 

Anyway, we will find out soon enough who is right, your mate or Pep :) 

• Like 3

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Everyone seems to be getting very excited about the lad from City given Mowbray probably only sees him as cover at either RB or CB.

The player and Mowbary have both said he won't be playing right back. Have you seen these quotes? Been on here a few times. they are easy to find.

Not sure what you mean with the CB part. Is that not where he should be considered for? Going off the quotes from Mowbray and the lad, again easy to find, he is here to start, not be cover. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Screenshot_20190802-132356_Samsung Internet.jpg

So that's 30 players with Adarabioyo yet to be numbered.

We need that realistically cut by 5 or 6 players either through loans or sales in the next week.

Fisher as 3rd choice GK should be loaned as should Grayson, Butterworth and even Hart if Tony is serious about LB Downing. Smallwood definitely and maybe Samuel should be sold if possible. Leaving:

GK: Walton, Leutwiler (Hilton)

Def: Bennett, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Adarabioyo, Magliore, Williams, Bell, Rankin-Costello and Downing (10)

CM: Travis, Johnson, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Buckley, Rankin-Costello and Downing (8)

W/AM: Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong, Gallagher, Downing, Chapman, Brereton,  Bennett and Rankin-Costello (9)

S: Graham, Gallagher, Brereton, Armstrong (4)

Plenty of versatility (Tony loves that) and lots of depth for injuries etc. Still dont see a promotion winning squad there though.

Get a proper CB in and maybe look to give Magliore half a season away too.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

Can't help but go into his season a little bit baffled.

One core thing we learned last season was that our defence was as leaky as the Conservatives budget. 64 goals scored, and 69 against.
The first thing Mowbray did in response was allow Paul Downing to leave for a minimal fee to Portsmouth and Rodwell departed not terribly long after.
It took one full month from the departure of Rodwell, and two full months from the departure of Downing for Mowbray to bring in any defensive reinforcements. That defensive reinforcement is a loan with a season's worth experience at this level. So a loan replacing two players on a long-term contract. In fact if you recognise Wharton as a 1st team option you could argue his departure on loan has left us further weaker.

It's worth reminding ourselves that Tosin has been our only defensive reinforcement this summer (if you exclude Mowbray's line of thinking that Downing can play along the back-line)

When you take into account defensive injuries last season that saw us playing Magloire and the departures we have already seen. The only conclusion is that our back-line is vastly weaker than last season, following a time when the manager said that was his main concern.

I can dismiss playing forwards as wingers (to a degree). But I am never going to be sold on playing wingers/midfielders at right-back/left-back. That special privilege can only be held by Brett Emerton and maybe at a push Ben Marshall.

The end of the last January window left us scratching our heads in terms of defensive reinforcements. Another full summer without defensive reinforcements at least being done early enough to participate in pre-season training with the team should give everybody pause.

• Like 4

Just now, RovingRover said:

Can't help but go into his season a little bit baffled.

One core thing we learned last season was that our defence was as leaky as the Conservatives budget. 64 goals scored, and 69 against.
The first thing Mowbray did in response was allow Paul Downing to leave for a minimal fee to Portsmouth and Rodwell departed not terribly long after.
It took one full month from the departure of Rodwell, and two full months from the departure of Downing for Mowbray to bring in any defensive reinforcements. That defensive reinforcement is a loan with a season's worth experience at this level. So a loan replacing two players on a long-term contract. In fact if you recognise Wharton as a 1st team option you could argue his departure on loan has left us further weaker.

It's worth reminding ourselves that Tosin has been our only defensive reinforcement this summer (if you exclude Mowbray's line of thinking that Downing can play along the back-line)

When you take into account defensive injuries last season that saw us playing Magloire and the departures we have already seen. The only conclusion is that our back-line is vastly weaker than last season, following a time when the manager said that was his main concern.

I can dismiss playing forwards as wingers (to a degree). But I am never going to be sold on playing wingers/midfielders at right-back/left-back. That special privilege can only be held by Brett Emerton and maybe at a push Ben Marshall.

The end of the last January window left us scratching our heads in terms of defensive reinforcements. Another full summer without defensive reinforcements at least being done early enough to participate in pre-season training with the team should give everybody pause.

No, we signed a new goalkeeper too.