BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

53 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Can't help but go into his season a little bit baffled.

One core thing we learned last season was that our defence was as leaky as the Conservatives budget. 64 goals scored, and 69 against.
The first thing Mowbray did in response was allow Paul Downing to leave for a minimal fee to Portsmouth and Rodwell departed not terribly long after.
It took one full month from the departure of Rodwell, and two full months from the departure of Downing for Mowbray to bring in any defensive reinforcements. That defensive reinforcement is a loan with a season's worth experience at this level. So a loan replacing two players on a long-term contract. In fact if you recognise Wharton as a 1st team option you could argue his departure on loan has left us further weaker.

It's worth reminding ourselves that Tosin has been our only defensive reinforcement this summer (if you exclude Mowbray's line of thinking that Downing can play along the back-line)

When you take into account defensive injuries last season that saw us playing Magloire and the departures we have already seen. The only conclusion is that our back-line is vastly weaker than last season, following a time when the manager said that was his main concern.

I can dismiss playing forwards as wingers (to a degree). But I am never going to be sold on playing wingers/midfielders at right-back/left-back. That special privilege can only be held by Brett Emerton and maybe at a push Ben Marshall.

The end of the last January window left us scratching our heads in terms of defensive reinforcements. Another full summer without defensive reinforcements at least being done early enough to participate in pre-season training with the team should give everybody pause.

You seem to have your finger on the transfer pulse at Rovers; any murmurings of further defensive reinforcements?

I agree by the way; this City kid alone isn't going to suddenly sure up our back-line. We're still a Lenihan injury (more than conceivable given his previous) away from being utterly screwed IMO.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You seem to have your finger on the transfer pulse at Rovers; any murmurings of further defensive reinforcements?

I agree by the way; this City kid alone isn't going to suddenly sure up our back-line. We're still a Lenihan injury (more than conceivable given his previous) away from being utterly screwed IMO.

Lots of inquiries and low offers. No reward as yet.

The last 48 hours it has been really difficult to find anything out bar what Mowbray said in the presser.

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we had have been waiting all summer and then signed Bayliss and Green the day before tomorrows game, there would been massive disappointment and fans saying they are underwhelmed. God almighty they signed Bayliss off Coventry for heavens sake ? Did green even start a game for Villa last year? He started very few anyway.

Severe cases off grassisgreeneritis with some fans 

Have they not sold their best player this summer as well 

• Like 1

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

The sky sports predictor is rubbish as it’s a fans vote but 442 magazine has us in 13th, they always have us as no marks

Have you heard any nuggets of information about transfer dealings lately?

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Absolute LOL. Ya that aging and crap Tyrone Mings playing for West Brom. Amazing how he managed to do that without anyone knowing he played for them and then moved to villa for £25 million. Impressive. 

Can you show me quotes from either of those managers about Kane as glowing as peps about Tosin? 

No I didn't watch much of Bristol City apart from highlights. They are on TV around twice a year. How did you get to see so much of them? I hope you were watching them closer than you watched West Brom  

Tbf I think he meant to say Tyrone Mears. Who is  36 and crap

1 hour ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Preston making some two decent signing in two days. Now there's a manager I would love to have.

Yeah but to sign them they sold their best player so it would be like us selling Dack for 7m and teplacing him with Bayliss and Green how do you think the board would react to that?

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Maybe thinking too much into this and maybe jumping the gun to early but has Nuttal thanked the club & fans at all?

No sign of the obligatory goodbye and thank you post yet. I think every player does one now. 

In fairness he resurrected his football league career here. He should def say something. 

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Screenshot_20190802-132356_Samsung Internet.jpg

So that's 30 players with Adarabioyo yet to be numbered.

We need that realistically cut by 5 or 6 players either through loans or sales in the next week.

Fisher as 3rd choice GK should be loaned as should Grayson, Butterworth and even Hart if Tony is serious about LB Downing. Smallwood definitely and maybe Samuel should be sold if possible. Leaving:

GK: Walton, Leutwiler (Hilton)

Def: Bennett, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Adarabioyo, Magliore, Williams, Bell, Rankin-Costello and Downing (10)

CM: Travis, Johnson, Evans, Davenport, Bennett, Buckley, Rankin-Costello and Downing (8)

W/AM: Rothwell, Dack, Armstrong, Gallagher, Downing, Chapman, Brereton,  Bennett and Rankin-Costello (9)

S: Graham, Gallagher, Brereton, Armstrong (4)

Plenty of versatility (Tony loves that) and lots of depth for injuries etc. Still dont see a promotion winning squad there though.

Get a proper CB in and maybe look to give Magliore half a season away too.

Hart will be our first choice left back. Tony has already spoken about him not going on loan. Grayson another good alternative at left back. Downing, like Bennett, are more stop gap squad players, handy because of their versatility. Butterworth also immensely talented and would like to see him stay too. 

Last season Derby County scored 69 goals (5 goals more than us), but conceded 54 goals (15 goals less than us).
That is the margin of error in terms of competing for either automatic promotion or play-offs.

3 defenders have departed this summer:

• Ashley Cole (played 9 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Marcus Olsson (played 0 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Alex Pearce (unused sub a handful of times last season and didn't play for them in the Championship)

Today they have added highly talented defender Matthew Clarke on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion, signed equally talented defender Krystian Bielik from Arsenal for £7.5 million rising to £10 million.

If Mowbray thinks we are going to do better than teams who have improved on an already solid defence without significant improvements being made to our defence, he is living in cloud cuckoo land!

• Like 7

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Maybe thinking too much into this and maybe jumping the gun to early but has Nuttal thanked the club & fans at all?

I think he was too busy with his biography. Currently penning the chapter on Mowbray's terrible man-management and how an injured Dominic Samuel stunted his development. 

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Just seen Krystian Bielik who was on loan at Charlton in league 1 last season has gone for £10million to Derby.

If that is the going rate for young centre halfs then I can see why we've had problems getting one through the door permanently.

Crazy money, but good for Derby. 

In that context I wouldn't be entertaining anything less than £12 million for Lenihan

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Yeah but to sign them they sold their best player so it would be like us selling Dack for 7m and teplacing him with Bayliss and Green how do you think the board would react to that?

Did they 'sell' their best player to finance a two or three in one out building job or did they get an offer they couldn't really refuse along with the player wanting to leave then have gone about reinvesting astutely ?

It can be dressed up many ways.

Just now, RovingRover said:

If Mowbray thinks we are going to do better than teams who have improved on an already solid defence without significant improvements being made to our defence, he is living in cloud cuckoo land!

Yep - the going rate for decent defenders now is extremely high, even for the championship. He said recently that there was a decent budget regardless of the Raya sale, so let’s see it go on a proven centre half Tony.