BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep - the going rate for decent defenders now is extremely high, even for the championship. He said recently that there was a decent budget regardless of the Raya sale, so let’s see it go on a proven centre half Tony.

I really don't buy that argument.

We have a loan space still open for instance and plenty of decent affordable defenders have moved during this window.

We spent a good 6-9 months scouting Europe, particularly Holland and Germany. Now we are fudging about with silly low offers and halfhearted enquiries.

Hell, we are even making a pigs ear of replacing our U23's head coach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Last season Derby County scored 69 goals (5 goals more than us), but conceded 54 goals (15 goals less than us).
That is the margin of error in terms of competing for either automatic promotion or play-offs.

3 defenders have departed this summer:

• Ashley Cole (played 9 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Marcus Olsson (played 0 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Alex Pearce (unused sub a handful of times last season and didn't play for them in the Championship)

Today they have added highly talented defender Matthew Clarke on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion, signed equally talented defender Krystian Bielik from Arsenal for £7.5 million rising to £10 million.

If Mowbray thinks we are going to do better than teams who have improved on an already solid defence without significant improvements being made to our defence, he is living in cloud cuckoo land!

You can easily spin the stats the other way though, looked through some stuff myself and this is what stood out to me...

• We had the 5th best home defence (better than Norwich, West Brom, Villa, the same as Leeds and 1 worse than Derby)
  • We had the 24th best (i.e. worst) away defence
  • We had the 20th best overall defence (just shows how bad our defensive record was away from home)
  • We conceded 2/3 of our goals in the second half of games
  • All the teams in last season's top 6 came within the top 14 in terms of overall defence (least goals conceded)

We've let Downing go who played 3 games and Rodwell who played 13 times. Mowbray has clearly decided that the keeper and the lack of experience around the side has been the cause of that disparity between goals conceded home and away, first half and second. Still probably need 1 more CB to my mind though.

• We scored the 14th most goals at home
  • We scored the 7th most goals away
  • We scored the 12th most overall
  • All the teams in last season's top 6 were in the top 7 in terms of goals scored overall (Brentford are the outlier, scoring the 6th most).

So we lack goals at home and leak them away (mostly in the second half).

Attack trumped defence when it came to finishing in the top 6 last season (just ask Middlesbrough; 1st defensively, 19th offensively).

Those stats put our transfer window into a bit more perspective for me.

---

Also of note, Nyambe and Mulgrew come out by far as our worst defenders in both goals conceded and points won (and Williams when played as a full back)... Worth noting though that Nyambe and Mulgrew played most of their games together, so either could be dragging the other's stats down (most likely Mulgrew doing the pulling I'd wager).

Bennett - Lenihan - Williams - Bell come out as the clear best, both home and away, in terms of points won and goals conceded.

Edited by XLM
  • Like 9

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am hoping/wishing/thinking we have a Brereton style deal left to be done. Mowbray has said a few times that near the end of the window players who you are quoted big fees on drastically drop in price when parent clubs realise they have to get them off the wage bill. 

I am really hoping we don't have a Brereton style deal left! I'm all for a big money signing though!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

I am really hoping we don't have a Brereton style deal left! I'm all for a big money signing though!

It was the tail end of the last summer window where we started trying to throw money around at Freeman and the like wasn’t it? Wouldn’t surprise me to see it happen again but this time for a defender (probably utility man knowing Tony). 

Just now, 47er said:

I meant the spending of money out of nowhere. Not the part where its the spending of money on a player that barely plays all year ? That wouldn't be good... 

42 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Hart will be our first choice left back. Tony has already spoken about him not going on loan. Grayson another good alternative at left back. Downing, like Bennett, are more stop gap squad players, handy because of their versatility. Butterworth also immensely talented and would like to see him stay too. 

Don't disagree with you... but we can't have a squad of 30.

Using your example: Hart, Williams, Bell, Downing, Grayson and even Mulgrew can fill in at LB - we cant have six "options" for one position... it's madness.

A squad of 23-25 should be the target, however loans look like the only options since the likes of Smallwood seem about as desirable to other clubs as eating a bowl of warm ?? with chopsticks.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Last season Derby County scored 69 goals (5 goals more than us), but conceded 54 goals (15 goals less than us).
That is the margin of error in terms of competing for either automatic promotion or play-offs.

3 defenders have departed this summer:

• Ashley Cole (played 9 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Marcus Olsson (played 0 games for them last season in the Championship)
  • Alex Pearce (unused sub a handful of times last season and didn't play for them in the Championship)

Today they have added highly talented defender Matthew Clarke on loan from Brighton and Hove Albion, signed equally talented defender Krystian Bielik from Arsenal for £7.5 million rising to £10 million.

If Mowbray thinks we are going to do better than teams who have improved on an already solid defence without significant improvements being made to our defence, he is living in cloud cuckoo land!

Lost Mason Mount Harry Wilson tomori and nugent as well for the sake of balance so there goals for column might look worse by end of season. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Nigel Adkins just been on Sky saying we could be dark horses.

I agree with Adkins. Smart guy

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am hoping/wishing/thinking we have a Brereton style deal left to be done. Mowbray has said a few times that near the end of the window players who you are quoted big fees on drastically drop in price when parent clubs realise they have to get them off the wage bill. 

I think we will make an offer for Cooper from Millwall or Hector from Chelsea or Worrall from Forest. 

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

I really don't buy that argument.

We have a loan space still open for instance and plenty of decent affordable defenders have moved during this window.

We spent a good 6-9 months scouting Europe, particularly Holland and Germany. Now we are fudging about with silly low offers and halfhearted enquiries.

Hell, we are even making a pigs ear of replacing our U23's head coach.

Can you say more about the under 23' head coach job please?

who are these foreign players we are putting bids in for? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerRover27 said:

Ben Marshall is free and all we have to do to get him is offer more than what Sheff Wed are offering him

No thanks couldn’t mentally hack it here first time round and whilst things were shit then under a Venkys and Coyle etc he slammed the club and rightly the owners.

Hes bounced around since showing zilch bar millwall as a right back. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Can you say more about the under 23' head coach job please?

who are these foreign players we are putting bids in for? 

RE: Damien Johnson. It was more a general comment.
He was promoted a month ago today and we are still yet to replace him.

We have made enquiries/low bids for defenders in Germany and Holland (mostly Germany). But not pushed through with it.

I only know of 2 names. One of which I mentioned the day before yesterday and one that is already widely known.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Absolutely feckin gobsmackin 

That reaction to factual information based on data, is one of the reasons I love data science. Perception of the real world is so prone to biases, data isn't.

It surprised me too BTW.

Edited by XLM

7 hours ago, OJRovers said:

From Tosin:

“I’ve not come here to play right back, I’m not a right back. I want to play centre half," he saiid.

“It was my first season out on loan getting senior games, so I enjoyed it, but I see myself as a centre half."

So we still need to sign a right back if Mowbray doesn't rate Nyambe.

So his first.game he'll start at right back then.  Or, knowing Tony, left back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Absolute LOL. Ya that aging and crap Tyrone Mings playing for West Brom. Amazing how he managed to do that without anyone knowing he played for them and then moved to villa for £25 million. Impressive. 

Can you show me quotes from either of those managers about Kane as glowing as peps about Tosin? 

No I didn't watch much of Bristol City apart from highlights. They are on TV around twice a year. How did you get to see so much of them? I hope you were watching them closer than you watched West Brom  

I meant Mears, but hold my hands up that my slip of the tongue does make me look rather stupid.

I obviously saw him in person when he was excellent at Ewood, and of course in the return fixture and whenever they were on tv but it is pretty common knowledge that he is a very good Championship defender so I was just surprised you hadnt heard of him, more than knowing him inside out.

My point of contention was more that theres no evidence that Pep neecessarily wants him around, big teams loan players out with very few coming back, most are sold on.

I stand by my comments about Tosin playing right back for half a season as first choice due to squad imbalance and chronic lack of alternatives. I have also said that although West Brom fans did not seem impressed, and I wasnt particularly especially at Ewood when he was taken off, I hope this is due to being forced to play out of position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

RE: Damien Johnson. It was more a general comment.
He was promoted a month ago today and we are still yet to replace him.

We have made enquiries/low bids for defenders in Germany and Holland (mostly Germany). But not pushed through with it.

I only know of 2 names. One of which I mentioned the day before yesterday and one that is already widely known.

The job still being advertise on Rovers website. 

have you heard anything about domestic buys or bids? 

I think next week we sign 2 players. gut feeling

2 hours ago, GunnerRover27 said:

Ben Marshall is free and all we have to do to get him is offer more than what Sheff Wed are offering him

Would be a good signing played also as a full back at times. Tony likes a versatile pkayer

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The job still being advertise on Rovers website. 

have you heard anything about domestic buys or bids? 

I think next week we sign 2 players. gut feeling

Out of interest Chaddy, what would be your thoughts on the window if everything ends up as it is now?