BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I meant Mears, but hold my hands up that my slip of the tongue does make me look rather stupid.

I obviously saw him in person when he was excellent at Ewood, and of course in the return fixture and whenever they were on tv but it is pretty common knowledge that he is a very good Championship defender so I was just surprised you hadnt heard of him, more than knowing him inside out.

My point of contention was more that theres no evidence that Pep neecessarily wants him around, big teams loan players out with very few coming back, most are sold on.

I stand by my comments about Tosin playing right back for half a season as first choice due to squad imbalance and chronic lack of alternatives. I have also said that although West Brom fans did not seem impressed, and I wasnt particularly especially at Ewood when he was taken off, I hope this is due to being forced to play out of position.

Tosin didn’t just play right back he also played defensive midfield under Moore. His interview on signing here was he needed games for experience and he got 36+ in the league alone. He’s now saying I want to be accomplished and recognised as a good centre half. I like his directness and ambition he knows what he wants.

I think the mixed messages from WBA fans from what I’ve read basically sum it up as he’s a centre back and good with potential, they seemed happy to replace the injured outbound Hegazi prior to his injury, but as RB or DM not very good as naturally it’s not his game. It’d be like playing Samba at those positions as looking at his videos he’s got the same attributes.

Hes quick, athletic, quite imposing for a young lad, looks bloody strong. Just seen his heading stats which between him and Walton should stem the amount of conceded set pieces and crosses we had last year.

Dosent look like he played for City pre season so 2 under 21 games between charlton and our next league game? Should boost him. Collectively no matter what side your speaking from the common thing is he’s not fit he can’t walk straight in and that is because rovers didn’t do or get there business done earlier in the window. It’s the same with Walton who as a keeper takes a while to build a defensive relationship, confidence in coming out and general communication with the back line.

Its a gamble but manageable and reflective of how financially we have to operate to build. Lenihans injury record along with Williams ain’t great so Mulgrew was always likely to deputise at some stage. Competition breeds performances. To be number 1 you’ve to train like a number 2!

WBA fans forum on Tosin thoughts - http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=22102.125

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Absolutely feckin gobsmackin 

Really, I thought that back four being the best combo is not suprising except Bennett at right back where I think Nyambe do as good a job.

The basic point is we absolutely have to have Lenihan in the side as he is our best defender by miles. After that anyone is much of a muchness except Mugrew who is a grade A liability and should be avoided. The stats say Nyambe had as bad a time also, but I didnt actually see him play that poorly. More caught out by others around him. But that's my opinion.

Anyhow, given the lack of signings and injuries Charlie is extremely likely to play Saturday and I really hope to be proved wrong. Last season he genuinely had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen a Rover have. Hes a big lad short on pace so he need to show good positional sense, dominance in the air,  good communication and (especially given he's our captain) leadership - all of which were seriously lacking last term.

53 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Really, I thought that back four being the best combo is not suprising except Bennett at right back where I think Nyambe do as good a job.

The basic point is we absolutely have to have Lenihan in the side as he is our best defender by miles. After that anyone is much of a muchness except Mugrew who is a grade A liability and should be avoided. The stats say Nyambe had as bad a time also, but I didnt actually see him play that poorly. More caught out by others around him. But that's my opinion.

Anyhow, given the lack of signings and injuries Charlie is extremely likely to play Saturday and I really hope to be proved wrong. Last season he genuinely had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen a Rover have. Hes a big lad short on pace so he need to show good positional sense, dominance in the air,  good communication and (especially given he's our captain) leadership - all of which were seriously lacking last term.

I just dont think Williams should be anywhere near the team and it's a testament to where we are...

3 hours ago, Traviscon said:

Out of interest Chaddy, what would be your thoughts on the window if everything ends up as it is now?

Still a centre back short for me. 

Would have like to see sign Sam Byram from West Ham before he went to Norwich. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair assessment Chaddy.

Couple of other areas I'd like to improve. But I think they're potentially manageable until January.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Assuming Tosin and Lenihan start at CB when we are settled down, with Mulgrew, Nyambe, Magloire and Williams all as back ups. Not sure we need another, unless we switch to three at the back, which Mowbray has threatened at times. JRC will win the RB spot at some point this season, he is sensational.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Assuming Tosin and Lenihan start at CB when we are settled down, with Mulgrew, Nyambe, Magloire and Williams all as back ups. Not sure we need another, unless we switch to three at the back, which Mowbray has threatened at times. JRC will win the RB spot at some point this season, he is sensational.

We do have the makings of a good side. I'm hoping of a good start and further additions in January. I'll be as vocal as I can today to get behind the boys COYB

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

Its fair point Fraserkirky, but if we couod add a Cooper or Worrall it would improve the quality at centre back position. 

That could be the very reason why we never move for right back cos of JRC..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary C said:

We do have the makings of a good side.

We could have said that several times over the last few years but, somehow, the job is never completed.

This time round our best chance lies with our outstanding youth players. If more of them are unleashed as TM's regulars prove not up to it then we might do something!

Edited by 47er

22 hours ago, Stuart said:

There only being a few days from signing until the first game is Mowbray’s fault, not mine, but it can be done.

Do we know it was "Mowbray's fault" that the deal took so long? Or is it just another of those assumptions that get played out as fact to beat him with?

It seems to me that Tosin was identified quite early in the window but that, for unknown (to us) reasons, the deal took far longer to complete than was anticipated. Wasn't it said on here by an ITKer (Bbrovers?) that Mowbray was tearing his hair out at the length of time this deal was taking? That suggests to me a delay on the player / City / agent's side rather than ours.

If it was TM or the club driving a harder bargain out of City, I don't mind that one bit as I'd rather the club was not fleeced.

The other alternative is that it was a Venkys-inspired delay, which could never be ruled out even for a relatively modest loan deal... but hardly "Mowbray's fault".

Last minute deals is just a symptom of having a time-limited window; it's the same with any negotiation process. Far bigger deals (good and bad) will be done by other clubs far later in the day than this. Hell, Swansea sold McBurnie yesterday for £20m; imagine that was us selling Dack, Lenihan or Travis, that would keep the mods busy! 

• Like 3

I don't buy the easy three points opinion expressed by some posters. I think Charlton will be organised, sit in and play on the break. If they do I think Mowbray will combat this by not committing too many players forward. If this is the case I think the game could well be decided by set pieces.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

I don't buy the easy three points opinion expressed by some posters. I think Charlton will be organised, sit in and play on the break. If they do I think Mowbray will combat this by not committing too many players forward. If this is the case I think the game could well be decided by set pieces.

I do believe we will win. Let's hope our players are up for it from the start. Or a difficult afternoon beckons

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Good point. I think we are better equipped for them too now - taller and more basic GK, 6.5 centre half and Sam Gallagher scores quite a few headers for us last time too.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I meant Mears, but hold my hands up that my slip of the tongue does make me look rather stupid.

I obviously saw him in person when he was excellent at Ewood, and of course in the return fixture and whenever they were on tv but it is pretty common knowledge that he is a very good Championship defender so I was just surprised you hadnt heard of him, more than knowing him inside out.

My point of contention was more that theres no evidence that Pep neecessarily wants him around, big teams loan players out with very few coming back, most are sold on.

I stand by my comments about Tosin playing right back for half a season as first choice due to squad imbalance and chronic lack of alternatives. I have also said that although West Brom fans did not seem impressed, and I wasnt particularly especially at Ewood when he was taken off, I hope this is due to being forced to play out of position.

Hopefully man. We could do with him being a revelation there. If he is the mobile ball playing centre half pep hints at him being, that would be pretty sweet. 

Just now, arbitro said:

It's true that in this league there are no easy games and it is unpredictable in a great way generally but we have a much better squad than Charlton and there have to be some teams we expect to beat.

I would have said that at the beginning of the window my no. 1 priority was the best centre back possible and we haven't done that but TM and co must think Ada is going to be pretty darn good as it seems likely that he will be starting with Lenihan most of the season.

What would we do with another CB and how are we going to keep him happy?  We will have Lenihan, Ada, Williams (I think he's a poor left back but decent CB) and Mulgrew that's enough in numbers.  I would have liked to see Mulgrew moved on but he's still here, is he gonna be happy to be 5th choice?

I think you always want top quality players so I'd be very happy if we signed Cooper or Tuanzebe but Ada hasn't come here to sit on the bench.  If we sign another CB and he's not good enough to start who is going to be happy with that. 

I don't really want any more midfielders or attackers unless they are amazing as we have some good ones and some excellent prospects.

So other than a backup goalie (I really don't think Leutwiler is good enough, really poor on low shots) I don't want any more squad players.

Excellent full backs would be lovely though. 

• Like 1