BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

• Backroom

I can't see us getting in another first choice keeper, to be honest. At best we might get another centre back, but I think that's likely to be it and I'm not even sure we'll get that. Bennett seems to be able to do no wrong, even when he's blatently making mistakes, and Mowbray will see Bell/Williams/Downing as acceptable left back options - although I consider none of them as adequete long-term players for that position. I don't think he sees left or right back as a priority, which is a shame as they are critical weak points that I'm sure will be exploited time and time again as the season unfolds.

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Bell was summed up in one first half incident. He controlled an awkward pass exceptionally well and then dithered in possession when he should have played Armstrong in. He lost the ball and Charlton sprung.

He simply isn't good enough to be a Championship player.

Said exactly the same myself. It's like he's a second or two behind everyone else in his thought processes. Sign of a player who will never make it to the top

2 minutes ago, RoverAbroad said:

Tony says, "It’s a bit simplistic to say ‘same back four, same results."

Why complicate matters, Tony? Simple is as simple does. Today -

Same back four = same result! 

Two goals conceded per game as usual.

Football is a simple game. The solution to our defensive woes is either new coaches or new players. It seems Mowbray isnt doing either so the ultimate solution will be a simple one - new manager. His naivety and ability to make simple things complicated staggers me.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

Just now, Swanson said:

Let's bring in another attacker.

20190803_211903.jpg

FFS hopefully this is just idle gossip. I like TM I really do but the defence has been a long standing problem. I finally thought the penny dropped but his comment this week suggests otherwise. Maybe it's a smokescreen and he actually has deals in place in which case fair play to him. But if not then the sack may be on the horizon and sadly he will deserve it and I'll have no sympathy. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RoverAbroad said:

I honestly think we'll never know until we see him in a better defence than that. He joined at 23 and he's been pulled down by the underperforming supposedly experienced players alongside him, the square pegs in round holes. Is it any wonder Nyambe has been stop start as well? When has a goalkeeper last looked comfortable at Rovers with that hot mess in front of them?

He has a good touch, isn't slow and some positional sense, as he's at least usually there when he somehow lets the attacker pass him, but he looks more than anything like a player with no confidence and no support at all around him. Get some leaders in at the back and we'll see if those players with potential ever develop.

Besides, it's unlikely we'll get another two defenders I'd expect with so little time left. We'll most likely have to make do with what we have until Jan at least.

Come on now you can't blame Bell's weaknesses on other players surely. His touch is generally poor, his ball control negligible, his heading is poor as is his passing and crossing. With them weaknesses he could play with the best in the world and still be poor.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Football is a simple game. The solution to our defensive woes is either new coaches or new players. It seems Mowbray isnt doing either so the ultimate solution will be a simple one - new manager. His naivety and ability to make simple things complicated staggers me.

As I've said before, his record shows him to be a very average manager. He only seems good to us because of the dross before him. Said that before too.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, JayDee said:

FFS hopefully this is just idle gossip. I like TM I really do but the defence has been a long standing problem. I finally thought the penny dropped but his comment this week suggests otherwise. Maybe it's a smokescreen and he actually has deals in place in which case fair play to him. But if not then the sack may be on the horizon and sadly he will deserve it and I'll have no sympathy. 

Suspect this is newspaper and agents !

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Suddenly looking like a poor window now.  Five days to sort the defence.  At least 2  defenders and a decent keeper required. 

No---its always looked like one.

• Backroom
Just now, Waggy76 said:

Suspect this is newspaper and agents !

Can't imagine we're after another striker. It would make zero sense. Our midfield and attacking options now are fine. It's defence that desperately, desperately needs upgrading. I can't see us bringing in personnel in any other positions, it would be so grossly negligent that you would have to start questioning what in the world is going on. 

Edited by DE.

8 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think that result today might force a hand, honestly not had anything concrete in weeks

I’m hoping it does. We have a top 6 in the making so it would be very disappointing if we cant sign a couple of defenders that can head simple crosses out of our box 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Can't imagine we're after another striker. It would make zero sense. Our midfield and attacking options now are fine. It's defence that desperately, desperately needs upgrading. I can't see us bringing in personnel in any other positions, it would be so grossly negligent that you would have to start questioning what in the world is going on. 

If that report is true , something is very wrong....Central defender a proper one Not the new breed non contact ones...A left back too before Thursday ...

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

No---its always looked like one.

Agreed.

I cannot think of one reasonable excuse for neglecting the longstanding, glaring deficiencies at the back.

A few months ago, I was so relieved to hear his quote about defenders coming, the current players aren't up to it etc.

Now, it seems he is either in some kind of distorted denial or merely playing company man in light of the owners' refusal to cough up for defenders. 

To think I had decided not to renew my season ticket, unless this was sorted out....but I cracked on Friday!

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think that result today might force a hand, honestly not had anything concrete in weeks

For me Mowbray has 5 days to save his own arse . That was as horrific as we all knew it would be when we saw the team , particularly the defence. TM has made these comments about defenders coming yada yada but if he doesn’t deal before Thursday he should be sacked for negligence .

We all know leagues aren’t won and lost in August but they are often won and lost in transfer windows of which this clown has had 6 and done nothing to a defence that got us relegated 2 years ago and which shipped 69 goals last season .OK , Tosin but if we really expect a 21 year old rookie to turn our defence round then it’s frankly delusional. 

We have to sign 2 or 3 proper defenders who will kick and scratch their way to clean sheets as if their lives depend on it . Now is not the time to sign children. Experienced tough guys only. It concerns me that our youngsters will never get the chance to flourish whilst we leak goals as we do because TM will always feel like we’re putting them under too much pressure in a struggling team . Conversely if we are watertight at the back then it gives a bit more licence going forward and our younger players can be given more opportunities .

But if this isn’t resolved by Thursday with a couple of hard nut defenders then our season is knackered before game 2.

i mentioned the Croatian lad earlier in the week captain of his club and in Croatia squad . Aged 28 proper thug - whether he’s one I don’t know but that’s what kind  we need immediately not a few kids on loan . Whether or not this happens by Thursday tea time will define our season and very probably Mowbrays future . 

If we get the defence right I actually think we have enough further up the pitch but continually leaking shit goals completely deflates the rest .

Edited by TBTF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Force... That's literally what it seems like it will take to get Bennett out the team. I actually wished the ref would have given him a red in the (88th?) minute when he flew in and it got a little handbags. 

If he can't drop him after that, that was Elliott Ward Doncaster level bad.

Only as good as your weakest player... well we have 4 L1 players in the back 5... as we did 18 months ago.

Almsot 6 hours later and I still can't get over how utter shyte Bennett was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

This exactly what I've been saying all day. It's pointless shouting at Bell, Bennett, Mulgrew etc for how poor they are, we know they're not good enough, they play almost like they know it too, the source of the problem is the man in the dugout (a former defender) who can't see it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Can't wait for this afternoon. Tony if you (or one of your stooges) are reading this, on behalf of (probably) all of the BRFC supporters, we beg:

Please do not bench Travis, Rothwell and Nyambe! 

PS. Some young lads (JRC, Buckley) on the bench instead of the likes of Smallwood, Samuel, etc would be a bonus.

PPS. I would ask for Bennett to be an impact sub and NOT the RB, but I know you cant control who you fall in love with.

COYB! 

I've deliberately not read a word of this thread since leaving home this morning to get to the match so I apologise in advance if any comments like the one I'm about to make have been overtaken by other comments.

BUT, having been at the game, I agree with the comment which is implicit in Angry_Pirate's comment that, at best, Bennett should be a substitute.

The bit I don't get is the word 'impact'. I'd only ever be tempted to bring Bennett on as a substitute if we were something like 8-0 up with 90 seconds to go.

• Like 1