BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

An U23 team featuring Lutwieler, Nyambe, Magloire, Grayson, Rankin-Costello, Evans, Vale, Smallwood, Chapman, Buckley and Brereton were on the wrong side of a 4 nil drubbing at the hands of a Manchester United U23 (behind closed doors friendly) team today. 

The United team featured Paul Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, Jesse Lingard (2 goals), Mason Greenwood (1 goal), Tahiti Chong (1 goal), Sergio Romero, Matteo Darmian and Axel Tuanzebe.

Worth noting that Rovers U23's are still not playing with a permanent Head Coach.

Edited by RovingRover
  • Like 3

Just now, RovingRover said:

An U23 team featuring Lutwieler, Nyambe, Magloire, Grayson, Rankin-Costello, Evans, Vale, Smallwood, Chapman, Buckley and Brereton were on the wrong side of a 4 nil drubbing at the hands of a Manchester United U23 (behind closed doors friendly) team today. 

The United team featured Paul Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, Jesse Lingard (2 goals), Mason Greenwood (1 goal), Tahiti Chong (1 goal), Sergio Romero, Matteo Darmian and Axel Tuanzebe.

The only 2 in the United team who could be classed as u23 are Greenwood and Chong

Also Gomez who came on 2nd half

They also included Jones, Smalling and Darlot who've been missed off

Edited by SkipDonoghue
  • Like 2

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

The only 2 in the United team who could be classed as u23 are Greenwood and Chong

Did well considering then!

• Like 2

Just now, SkipDonoghue said:

It was classed as an U23 team. I listed the players I was made aware of playing.

12 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

If you want a right back who can get forward but who will get found out defensively  now and again but should create chances and offer that extra bod in the last 3rd Bennett is your man

No he isn't.  He's not a right back. Nyambe is so much better defensively and going forward. Nyambe runs at defenders, bennet turns back as he has no strength to get past. Mowbray should hang his head at the ignorance of nyambe, in my opinion one of our only proper defensive minded players. International too for christ sake.

• Like 5

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

No he isn't.  He's not a right back. Nyambe is so much better defensively and going forward. Nyambe runs at defenders, bennet turns back as he has no strength to get past. Mowbray should hang his head at the ignorance of nyambe, in my opinion one of our only proper defensive minded players. International too for christ sake.

Yeah like I said a proper right back, a defender who defends well, but please tell me how many goals he's scored and how many assist Nyambe has from right back? seeing as he's great at getting forward

Oh I forgot "for Christ's sake'

Edited by SkipDonoghue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roverinbelfast said:

Amd that's why Mowbray gets paid the big bucks and you don't. Drop Travis? Sensible

Yet Tony’s team lost to Charlton ? I never claimed to know more than the manager, I just suggested a formation I think could work for us, one which has been used here and there in pre-season by Mr Mowbray himself.

It's totally academic but I would say swapping Dack for an quality centreback would improve our chances of promotion. I think between Buckley and Rothwell we could compensate for Dacks loss somewhat and a solid centreback would make an absolutely huge impact.

That said it would be far preferable to both keep Dack and find a very good centreback. Surely we can do that? Are they that hard to find?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Yeah like I said a proper right back, a defender who defends well, but please tell me how many goals he's scored and how many assist Nyambe has from right back? seeing as he's great at getting forward

I'll start with him just defending for now, but I'm more than happy that he's an improvement on bennet in all aspects of his game.

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's totally academic but I would say swapping Dack for an quality centreback would improve our chances of promotion. I think between Buckley and Rothwell we could compensate for Dacks loss somewhat and a solid centreback would make an absolutely huge impact.

That said it would be far preferable to both keep Dack and find a very good centreback. Surely we can do that? Are they that hard to find?

To be honest. If we could have sold Dack for something around 12 million I would have lept at the chance. 

If we would have invested that in two quality defenders I would have backed us for a promotion push

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

To be honest. If we could have sold Dack for something around 12 million I would have lept at the chance. 

If we would have invested that in two quality defenders I would have backed us for a promotion push

We could have invested in two quality defenders with the Gallagher money and whatever is left in the kitty. Rather have done that than sell the player involved in most goals last season.

I know we've had a terrible game yesterday but it's curious that nobody is really talking about the Max Clarke link (which I think one of our ITKs mentioned earlier in the week?).

If true, I think it's interesting (and promising) that we are looking at an LB. With (the dire) Bell and Williams here, and Hart being spoken of highly by the manager lately. I wonder if it could partly be a sign that Williams is done as a LB here and will only play centrally if possible, or has interest. Or perhaps just that he does want to loan Hart out before deciding if he is ready.

Or it could be Tony's 'Collect a Midfielder' game has changed to 'Collect a Left Back'. In dreamland, we would definitely try to sign a good LB, RB and CB before the deadline. Plus a solid backup GK. In reality we will have to think ourselves highly lucky to get two of those.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think our fans seemingly grossly underestimate how much we will miss Dack. Hes a constant source of goals and assists. Our best player.

A left back meanwhile has to be number 1 priority.

Agree about Dack. When firing he's in a completely different class to everyone else. We saw a couple of glimpses of it yesterday but in general he didn't seem up for it.

We need to find a way of getting him fully fit, motivated and firing again. Whether that would require a more expansive manager, who knows?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

And please tell me how many goals and assists Bennett has provided from right back. You are substituting a very decent defender who is poor going forward for a very poor "defender" who is poor going forward 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OJRovers said:

Surprised no Tosin playing for Rovers to get some minutes in.

He’s not tried Mrs Mowbray’s Madeira cake, or been to laser tag with the squad yet. Give him time to get up to speed!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I know we've had a terrible game yesterday but it's curious that nobody is really talking about the Max Clarke link (which I think one of our ITKs mentioned earlier in the week?).

If true, I think it's interesting (and promising) that we are looking at an LB. With (the dire) Bell and Williams here, and Hart being spoken of highly by the manager lately. I wonder if it could partly be a sign that Williams is done as a LB here and will only play centrally if possible, or has interest. Or perhaps just that he does want to loan Hart out before deciding if he is ready.

Or it could be Tony's 'Collect a Midfielder' game has changed to 'Collect a Left Back'. In dreamland, we would definitely try to sign a good LB, RB and CB before the deadline. Plus a solid backup GK. In reality we will have to think ourselves highly lucky to get two of those.

It would be exciting if we were to bring in a left back and centre back. But I've a feeling Mowbray is having trouble finding a centre back within budget so is looking at a left back which would see a permanent switch to centre back. Hopefully not as first choice. It does give us more depth across the back line but boy are we gambling an a 21 year old kid from city cutting the mustard 

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I believe that if we played Rothwell in Dacks position and cashed in on Dack the team would do very well. Rothwell has pace and skill and hes shown he can finish. Dack hasn't looked good in pre season or against Charlton take the money and strengthen at the back 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Only as good as your last game in football and Dack hasn't played for 6 months.  Pace hasn't improved either.  Looks like the yoga was a waste of time.  I'd have got a sprint coach in. Johnson is a class above Dack.

He's also 35,might be his last season?

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

It would be exciting if we were to bring in a left back and centre back. But I've a feeling Mowbray is having trouble finding a centre back within budget so is looking at a left back which would see a permanent switch to centre back. Hopefully not as first choice. It does give us more depth across the back line but boy are we gambling an a 21 year old kid from city cutting the mustard 

Now I know this is just your opinion but if this is actually the case (which seemingly it is) then it seriously brings into question his signing of Gallagher. 

It just shows how little a priority the defence is to him and how unimportant it is that we're scratching around with whatever change we have trying to sign some defenders in the last few days of the window. Total neglect to the foundations on what you build a strong side on. Absolute incompetence. 

• Like 2

Maybe part of the lack of defensive recruitment is that they are following the same rules set out for the forwards, young, English and good resale potential.

That really isn't an easy task and not what someone who knows football would set out when it comes to defenders.

• Like 2

I’ve been banging on about needing a left back since we were last relegated, so nothing changed in that respect.

Nyambe needs to play at right back.

The full back problem is made worse by Mowbray’s formation. Without any proper wingers, the full backs get less protection, plus are expected to contribute to the attack. This works at Liverpool when you’ve got international quality full backs, but not with who we’ve got.

• Like 1