BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, 47er said:

And what a blunder that was!

Anyway you're talking about a striker there or is he a "wide forward"?

We don't pay money for defenders.

Not forgetting we’ve had 2 championship level centre backs, a decent fullback, a goalkeeper and a few other decent defenders through the academy in the previous 8 or so seasons, so perhaps priority at times has been down to squad depth (going all the way down to u23/u18) as opposed a weird priority about strikers.

For instance - on returning to the championship, didn’t we only have Danny G, Nuttall and Samuel? Most clubs / teams like to have 3 or 4 options in a hierarchy for each position.

Edited by Harry The Bass

Can I also add - we bought Duffy for “cheap” and he is a top flight centre back - plus the big let down on top - Jack O Connell, now a premier league player with sheff United after we let him go for peanuts! 

16 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I think we will sign one defender before the deadline, probably someone who is a CB but can play left back too. That’s not based on any info, just a hunch. 

Rovers had a interest in Mark Beevers but Peterborough snapped him up. 

Another day passes by and nothing happening ...I am beginning to think Mowbray thought Raya was the problem , and the events of Saturday have surprised him ( I am serious )and he is left with no real answers and a ticking clock !!

The city boy was signed as a bit of back up , replacement for the departed Downing !

It is a ludicrous situation !!!!

• Like 1

The party line from Sharpe and co is they 'wouldn't rule out' a move for another CB before the window shuts.

What's that all about? Either we want one, which we surely do, in which case we try to get one and are disappointed if we don't, or we don't feel we need one (ludicrous) but then we don't pursue anyone.

'Wouldnt rule out' just another one of those ambiguous ones trotted out. Suggests we aren't really that bothered but if something comes up we might get someone in but might not. So don't expect or demand anything but it might happen. Either way we can say we are happy with the window after it shuts.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Harry The Bass said:

Can I also add - we bought Duffy for “cheap” and he is a top flight centre back - plus the big let down on top - Jack O Connell, now a premier league player with sheff United after we let him go for peanuts! 

You can add infinitum but the fact remains we don't spend money on defenders!

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

You can add infinitum but the fact remains we don't spend money on defenders!

I can add plenty of rationale to why we haven’t, ignore it all you want.

It doesn’t help us improve our defence mind! 

One thing that does irk, it’s not as if we haven’t signed anyone. If you’d offered me for CB; Downing out, Adarabioyo in- I probably would’ve seen that as a minor upgrade.

Problem is, the expectation of promotion would probably require further defensive enhancements.

3 hours ago, TruRover said:

I was a big TM supporter even after the collapse in form last season.

But this summer he has absolutely blown it. A new defence and GK was needed and if anything it’s gone backwards. We don’t play our best RB, we’re starting with the defender who was purposely dropped, and let’s not get started on bell. Then to the GK, we sell Raya a keeper with massive potential along with the pull of coming through our own academy, and replaced him with a worse/same ability keeper (hope he proves me wrong) and most importantly a player who isn’t even ours. We spend 5m on a striker who is 6’4, which gives his 7million signing of BB very little chance of any impact this season. Furthermore 6,4 strikers are not wide players. Crucially for me, TM has gone back on his word with the famous line ‘defenders are coming’. The only signing who has made sense is Johnson, and fair play to him he is exactly what we need, but it isn’t enough. Also, cannot see one out and out wide player in our entire squad aside from chapman,  and let’s be real TM isn’t gonna regularly start him. Our squad is incredibly unbalanced. And if we were starting the summer now I would think there was a lot of work to be done to get it ready to even challenge the top 10, let alone get promoted. I’m telling u now this season is nothing but midtable for us. We’ve blown it before it’s already begun. 

It genuinely pains me to say because he has done a lot for this club and he clearly has the club in his best interests but i want him gone, I just cannot understand his thinking. Our transfer business has been awful. We’ve got a great crop of players who are at a really good age, with the right gaps being filled we could really challenge and I hope he proves me wrong but I just can’t see it. Furthermore the venkys seem to really trust him so can’t see him going anywhere

Ok rant over. Apologies for the negativity, still don’t think I’m over the disappointment of Saturday.

This sums up how a lot of people are feeling round about now.

I'm still not convinced the owners aren't fecking about though as well making transfer dealings 10 times harder than they should be. He's not gonna have the balls to come out and state that though so it'll continue, unless he walks which is also doubtful.

Dropping Bennett at weekend would be a start though and claw back some credibility for TM.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Problem is, the expectation of promotion would probably require further defensive enhancements.

There's no probably about it imo. Our current defence isn't Championship standard. Mowbray stated exactly this at the end of last season, so he's either changed his mind since then (and if so he is wrong), or he's ballsed up this transfer window and likely wrecked any ambitions we had for the forthcoming season short of staying in the division. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

There's no probably about it imo. Our current defence isn't Championship standard. Mowbray stated exactly this at the end of last season, so he's either changed his mind since then (and if so he is wrong), or he's ballsed up this transfer window and likely wrecked any ambitions we had for the forthcoming season short of staying in the division. 

Or he doesn’t tell you his entire though process in public (probably, most definitely) and we’ve failed to get our targets so far (other than bright prospect centreback on loan from city, who’s most recent experience is finishing top 6 with WBA)..

I personally think relegation predicting on this defence is an overly negative prediction. This especially when we’ve improved midfield and upfront.

I keep reading about how amazing we are going forward, yet we didnt create anything on Sat and didnt look like scoring if we played for the next week.

It's not just the defence that needs a lot of work.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

The party line from Sharpe and co is they 'wouldn't rule out' a move for another CB before the window shuts.

What's that all about? Either we want one, which we surely do, in which case we try to get one and are disappointed if we don't, or we don't feel we need one (ludicrous) but then we don't pursue anyone.

'Wouldnt rule out' just another one of those ambiguous ones trotted out. Suggests we aren't really that bothered but if something comes up we might get someone in but might not. So don't expect or demand anything but it might happen. Either way we can say we are happy with the window after it shuts.

Or in other words we aren't actively looking. 

Mowbray could well be signing his own death warrant if he doesn't bring some experience and quality in there. Given what he has previously said about the January window he will have to go a full season with inadequacy.

Agree with the earlier post talking about us being good going forward. The Charlton keeper didn’t make a save in 90 minutes away from home. It was embarrassing being there.

• Backroom
Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Or he doesn’t tell you his entire though process in public (probably, most definitely) and we’ve failed to get our targets so far (other than bright prospect centreback on loan from city, who’s most recent experience is finishing top 6 with WBA)..

I personally think relegation predicting on this defence is an overly negative prediction. This especially when we’ve improved midfield and upfront.

Well, your first paragraph is the ballsed up the transfer window option, so yeah. Saying "we just missed our targets" with a shrug isn't good enough. Not when Bennett and Bell are starting on the flanks. 

I consider relegation unlikely, but before the Charlton match kicked off most of us were harbouring ambitions for at least top ten if not an outside shot at sneaking into the playoffs. I'd consider both highly unlikely without defensive reinforcements. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1