BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I don’t think you’d need international scouting to see Sheffield Wednesdays bench. 

Equally, I’m not sure how you feel, but I don’t think you’d find many Rovers fans too enamoured with him either, especially after his spell here.

If it’s anywhere near the 7m quoted leeds interest, I would’ve been annoyed had that been us.

Finally - three Portuguese speaking players, from clubs recently at Forest, Wednesday... not exactly known for their shopping outside of agencies involved in their ownership...

Reminds me of you being envious of Wigan earlier in the window.

I think we'd need international scouting to unearth someone who hasn't either played for Mowbray before or recently come up against us in a match. 

We've just splurged £12 million on two strikers unlikely to have much impact as they'll be spending most of their time out wide. I'd have paid £7 million for Joao, made him first choice CF and then invested the remaining £5 million on other areas.

Agencies haven't done Wolves, Leeds or Forest too much harm. It's one way to quickly recruit players to the standard needed to push on rather than sitting around going nowhere because we can't get deals done.

Just now, JHRover said:

I think we'd need international scouting to unearth someone who hasn't either played for Mowbray before or recently come up against us in a match. 

We've just splurged £12 million on two strikers unlikely to have much impact as they'll be spending most of their time out wide. I'd have paid £7 million for Joao, made him first choice CF and then invested the remaining £5 million on other areas.

Agencies haven't done Wolves, Leeds or Forest too much harm. It's one way to quickly recruit players to the standard needed to push on rather than sitting around going nowhere because we can't get deals done.

No but they nearly ruined us!

• Like 2

Just now, BigUts said:

No but they nearly ruined us!

Clearly a big difference between having favourable links to well connected agents who can help bring in quality like at Wolves and Leeds and then handing over the running of the club to crooks to do as they please with it.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

I personally, once again, think it’s not quite that simple. 

Transfers come down to more than just cost and a team willing to pay, as you say the competition is so fierce for talent - intermediaries are paid huge sums to broker deals.

I can’t recall a manager we’ve had not buying players he knows through working with or knowing, a few of Hughes old Wales pals, or Souness’s ex Liverpool signings didn’t hurt.

I agree we’ve missed out on, or there’s plenty of opportunities if you’ve the right timing/conversation/funds. I just don’t think it’s as bad as you and others are making out. 

5 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

For the pedants in the room I added a reference to the squad, because that was the context of the discussion, ie we hadn't added defenders to the squad.

...we're in a room?

• Like 3

791190010_Screenshot_20190807-005243_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cfef842a5eb775fc188ee194de17b8da.jpg

Have you never had a "bang average s***"?

"Bang Average S***" Also nicely describes every TM transfer window at Rovers, every Richie Smallwood performance since December 2017 and every bit of food I've bought on the Ewood concourse for the past 15 years.

Could be our 2019/2020 season motto...

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

791190010_Screenshot_20190807-005243_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cfef842a5eb775fc188ee194de17b8da.jpg

Have you never had a "bang average s***"?

"Bang Average S***" Also nicely describes every TM transfer window at Rovers, every Richie Smallwood performance since December 2017 and every bit of food I've bought on the Ewood concourse for the past 15 years.

Could be our 2019/2020 season motto...

Sure sure, bang average shit, but not shit and bang average. Syntax is king.

12 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sorry if someone has already posted it, but Sharpe reckons Smallwood is going nowhere as will ‘fight for his place’. Everything wrong with us right there. No room for sentiment - thank him for his service and ship him out.

On the basis that we keep Smallwood (and his no 6 shirt kind of confirmed it) that sentence should apply to Mowbray.

He has learned nothing from last season or is incapable of addressing it.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

On the basis that we keep Smallwood (and his no 6 shirt kind of confirmed it) that sentence should apply to Mowbray.

He has learned nothing from last season or is incapable of addressing it.

In fairness to TM he’s replaced and frozen Smallwood out, the guy wasn’t picked for any of the last seven games last season and wasn’t in the matchday squad on Saturday. If he decides he doesn’t want to leave then that’s his prerogative. 

The blame only lies at the managers feet when he’s failed to replace players who are obviously not good enough to start. Like Mulgrew and Bennett. That could be remedied by the introduction of Nyambe and Tosin on Sat plus another defender signing. Imo it doesn’t matter if Tosin hasn’t had a full preseason, he can’t be any worse than Mulgrew. I actually feel sorry for him. Painful to watch how much he’s deteriorated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think that's the right move...IF we sign a CB. If we don't, then it will leave us dangerously short in not just quality, but depth too. With Wharton out on loan, our youth backups would realistically be down to Grayson (18?) and I think Platt is still knocking around but nowhere near this level at 22 I think?

So that would give us Tosin, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams (currently injured). Not good enough options, but also if 3 of that mostly injury prone bunch get injured/suspended we are playing kids. Or Nyambe out of position.

Not that Magloire isn't a kid, but he seems furthest ahead in the youth CB pecking order.

This is the Downing saga all over again.

I’ll be astonished if we sign a new defender who starts games rather than as back up. That isn’t Mowbray’s way. Evolution not revolutionary. Must be the only club in the country with a 10 year promotion plan.

And @JHRover, FFP is a very hollow excuse for not strengthening the defence when you spend £12m on two strikers.

• Like 4

Just now, Paul Mani said:

In fairness to TM he’s replaced and frozen Smallwood out, the guy wasn’t picked for any of the last seven games last season and wasn’t in the matchday squad on Saturday. If he decides he doesn’t want to leave then that’s his prerogative. 

The blame only lies at the managers feet when he’s failed to replace players who are obviously not good enough to start. Like Mulgrew and Bennett. That could be remedied by the introduction of Nyambe and Tosin on Sat plus another defender signing. Imo it doesn’t matter if Tosin hasn’t had a full preseason, he can’t be any worse than Mulgrew. I actually feel sorry for him. Painful to watch how much he’s deteriorated.

Agree with most of that. Let’s see what Mowbray does next.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

After preseason, Magloire is now behind Grayson in the pecking order.

Absolutely no way. Magloire is head and shoulders above Larry’s lad. Another black mark against Mowbray.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

To be fair Mani, Smallwood was given a new contract for no discernible reason. He was already struggling in this league when it was dished out.  Otherwise he would have been out of contract this summer.  So, I'd say that the blame lies with the manager to some extent. 

I don't blame Smallwood for not walking away.

On the plus side though, he's probably the best keeper we own!

• Like 1

Me and Tony feel the pressure the more we ask for and the more we are given then the results have to be positive,” he added.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17820029.rovers-chief-demands-expectations-owners-venkys/

It appears that the Indians want results for the money they spend as Mowbray and Waggott feel the pressure. As we have spent the arse end of nowt then the bar has been set exceedingly low.

I wonder if the splurge on Brereton has woken them up.

Just now, arbitro said:

Me and Tony feel the pressure the more we ask for and the more we are given then the results have to be positive,” he added.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17820029.rovers-chief-demands-expectations-owners-venkys/

It appears that the Indians want results for the money they spend as Mowbray and Waggott feel the pressure. As we have spent the arse end of nowt then the bar has been set exceedingly low.

I wonder if the splurge on Brereton has woken them up.

'Tony and I' 

Bloody hope they are feeling pressure.  As it should be.   

• Like 1