BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, LewisF said:

Certainly the CB pairing we should be going with (assuming we don’t sign anyone else)

Nyambe should be 1st choice RB, last season around September/October he seemed to be really coming on — then is dropped for some months for some inexplicable reason. If that reason was due to mistakes made (Preston away?), then there’s absolutely no reason for Bennett to start any games until Christmas if that’s the rule we’re going by. I’m only echoing what many many others have said before, but the blind loyalty towards the more ‘experienced’ players, especially after the whole “defenders are coming”, is baffling when, as Mowbray has acknowledged, “they’ve shown they can’t do their jobs”. And this isn’t even taking into account the complete failure of this transfer window in bringing in the aforementioned defenders.

As for LB, that isn’t any better. I’d be tempted to give Hart a run there; Bell’s lack of urgency in all scenarios, especially stopping crosses into the box, is simply not good enough for a Championship defender. Again, it’s been said many times before but that’s because it’s an indisputable fact.

Bell could do with one of those ankle bracelets that give the person a shock when you press the button. He is far too laid back. That works for Marcelo. He isn't Marcelo. The thing is he is actually pretty good on the ball, so I can see why he got on well in League 1.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bell could do with one of those ankle bracelets that give the person a shock when you press the button. He is far too laid back. That works for Marcelo. He isn't Marcelo. The thing is he is actually pretty good on the ball, so I can see why he got on well in League 1.  

We must have been watching a different Bell, I certainly wouldnt say he is pretty good on the ball!

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17676487.rovers-chief-executive-on-budget-talks-with-owners-venkys/

Still waiting on evidence that we have a similar budget. Spent about 1.5m net and theres no way (after signing 2 less players) the difference of 8.5m has been swallowed by wages.

Why make these comments if theres no substance to them, just admit if the budget is less.

• Like 6

Just now, LewisF said:

Certainly the CB pairing we should be going with (assuming we don’t sign anyone else)

Nyambe should be 1st choice RB, last season around September/October he seemed to be really coming on — then is dropped for some months for some inexplicable reason. If that reason was due to mistakes made (Preston away?), then there’s absolutely no reason for Bennett to start any games until Christmas if that’s the rule we’re going by. I’m only echoing what many many others have said before, but the blind loyalty towards the more ‘experienced’ players, especially after the whole “defenders are coming”, is baffling when, as Mowbray has acknowledged, “they’ve shown they can’t do their jobs”. And this isn’t even taking into account the complete failure of this transfer window in bringing in the aforementioned defenders.

As for LB, that isn’t any better. I’d be tempted to give Hart a run there; Bell’s lack of urgency in all scenarios, especially stopping crosses into the box, is simply not good enough for a Championship defender. Again, it’s been said many times before but that’s because it’s an indisputable fact.

I think Nyambe has stalled in the previous two seasons to some extent in key areas, namely failed to cut individual errors out of his game and not build on technical skills like crossing and overlapping. I agree, Bennett has similar percentage of mistakes per appearances but I think its not as simple as a choice because they both have pro’s/con’s for that position.

I think Nyambe is now seen more as a wide central option because he has the more defensive fundamentals and physical stuff.

I know none of this stacks up with the simple “plays his favourites” stuff, but I only go off what I see or have seen. For example, I agree on Bell - he’s always looked to be seconds off the play, even if he has decent technical ability. My priority after replacing Raya and bringing in Tosin, would also be a new FB. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, martonrover said:

A load of waffle from a guy I definitely wouldn't buy a second hand car from. Chancer.

Yep, what a load of bolloxios from Waggott.

Roughly translates as "If me and Tone can convince the owners all this **** is part of some long term plan then we should be able to get four or five years out of it before they realise we're going nowhere, and by that time we (If not the Club) will  be secure financially."

Wonder how they'll spin it if we get relegated again this season?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

If we lose Lenihan now then we a goosed.

The only way this makes sense is if we have someone else lined up.

I remember thinking the same with Downing in January though.

I’ll be saying a prayer tonight we bring a centre half in tomorrow that’s for sure. 

• Like 1

“Owners Venky’s remain committed to funding the Category One Academy, which requires funding of at least £3m a season to fulfil all the criteria.” LT

loads of these sort of comments being added into LT articles today etc don’t expect any money being spent tomorrow on defence additions the excuses are well and truly being lined up and PR excuse show being put into motion 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17819755.rovers-draw-six-man-shortlist-under-23s-job/

Edited by markhayhurst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Me and Tony feel the pressure the more we ask for and the more we are given then the results have to be positive,” he added.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17820029.rovers-chief-demands-expectations-owners-venkys/

It appears that the Indians want results for the money they spend as Mowbray and Waggott feel the pressure. As we have spent the arse end of nowt then the bar has been set exceedingly low.

I wonder if the splurge on Brereton has woken them up.

It’s only a few days ago Mowbray was castigating fans for being unhappy with mid table. In trying to cover their failures, they’re saying whatever needs saying on that day.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I think Nyambe has stalled in the previous two seasons to some extent in key areas, namely failed to cut individual errors out of his game and not build on technical skills like crossing and overlapping. I agree, Bennett has similar percentage of mistakes per appearances but I think its not as simple as a choice because they both have pro’s/con’s for that position.

I think Nyambe is now seen more as a wide central option because he has the more defensive fundamentals and physical stuff.

I know none of this stacks up with the simple “plays his favourites” stuff, but I only go off what I see or have seen. For example, I agree on Bell - he’s always looked to be seconds off the play, even if he has decent technical ability. My priority after replacing Raya and bringing in Tosin, would also be a new FB. 

I remember one match in particular back in November, Nyambe coming on as a sub 2nd half against Rotherham and absolutely roasting his full back every time; beating his man time and time again, great pace and dribbling. Came back from that game with massive hopes for him as the season continued. Admittedly, one could say it was ‘only’ against Rotherham but even so, the attacking signs (his generally most often criticised attribute) were promising.

In fairness, I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if his development somewhat stalled after being dropped from the team for quite a while.

Edited by LewisF
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's a simple equation for me. We won't/can't bring anybody in until we shift a few out and as the fringe players are on money which belies their ability nobody will take them. There is generally an impasse then as players sit on their contracts.

Mowbray has really painted himself and the club into a corner this summer.

I think you are spot on there. Owners told him you need to get rid of some players first before any more incomings

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No , Grayson isnt good enough. The bar is just so low at the moment and mowbray takes responsibility for this . Relegation is a real threat with our defence 

I'm only going by the excellent skill he showed scoring 2 goals in his last 3 games out on loan. The lad clearly has plenty of talent. Best to give our young players a blooming chance before we try to rip them apart, imo. I would give Hart and Grayson a run out at left back. They can't be worse than Bell and Williams.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I think you are spot on there. Owners told him you need to get rid of some players first before any more incomings

Easier said than done Chaddy. They'll mostly be on better dosh than any potential suitor will be prepared to pay and It's very unlikely that they'll take a pay cut.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Bennett has no pros at RB.

You keep trying to muddy the waters saying previously it's not easy to sign players etc and now you're saying this isn't a straightforward choice.

It's not a difficult choice or decision at all. Nyambe isn't perfect but is the better player in that position by a country mile. It's not even close therefore the only logical inference to be drawn is that the manager is unreasonably favouring certain players.

Weird you don't think Bell is good enough when again whilst he isn't perfect he is infinitely better than Bennett at FB.

Imo our priorities should be

1) Ensure Bennett never plays at FB again (or preferably anywhere else for that matter) and restore Nyambe at RB.

2) Nasty experienced CB

3) If the budget allows after 2) above, a LB.

If anyone does come in at this late stage, can't see them being of the quality required, will probably just be dregs that other Clubs don't want.

• Like 6

Just now, Vilesinner said:

I'm only going by the excellent skill he showed scoring 2 goals in his last 3 games out on loan. The lad clearly has plenty of talent. Best to give our young players a blooming chance before we try to rip them apart, imo. I would give Hart and Grayson a run out at left back. They can't be worse than Bell and Williams.

To be honest I think they can.

Just now, 47er said:

Just waiting for someone to tell you its not as simple as that. :blink:

IMO it is that simple and your analysis is bang on!

Last year we only had one player that could really hold the ball up; a 33 year old striker. I have no arguments at all that we needed another big target man. I think Gallagher and Brereton will be great for us long term Of course we still do need defensive strengthening though.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Easier said than done Chaddy. They'll mostly be on better dosh than any potential suitor will be prepared to pay and It's very unlikely that they'll take a pay cut.

The only high value saleable assets we have, imo, are Dack and Lenihan - neither of whom we really want to lose. Travis and Nyambe could be in this bracket if they do well this season, but one seems to have had his fire extinguished by Mowbray already and the other is stuck behind Elliott Bennett. 

Everyone else either wouldn't raise anywhere near enough to be useful (would practically have to pay somebody to take the likes of Evans off our hands) or are happy to sit on their contracts as they know they won't get better deals elsewhere. 

I note Bell's contract expires in 12 months. Wonder if he'll be given an extension, or just allowed to go? If he is allowed to just leave at 25 years old then surely he shouldn't be our first choice starting LB as the manager clearly does not rate him?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Of course they can be worse.  They are worse.

How far has this great club fallen...?

Hart was loved by those at Southend. And played extremely well when I saw him. Same with Grayson. They are also were part of an under 23 set up that is playing at the top level; even to be playing European football. The future is very bright my friend. :-)

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

So would you agree Mowbray has made a hash of our recruitment by handing out new contracts like they were sweeties last summer?

We the fans can see the likes of Smallwood and Mulgrew aint up to it so why couldn't the manager?

• Like 2

Just now, Vilesinner said:

Hart was loved by those at Southend. And played extremely well when I saw him. Same with Grayson. They are also were part of an under 23 set up that is playing at the top level; even to be playing European football. The future is very bright my friend. ?

I've seen Hart play once and I thought he was deeply average, I have friends who thought he was decent when he played for Rochdale but where we are now is big step up.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've seen Hart play once and I thought he was deeply average, I have friends who thought he was decent when he played for Rochdale but where we are now is big step up.

Well hey, if a top defender is available anywhere across the back 4 we should sign them. But if not give the youngsters that impressed preseason a chance, like JRC and Hart.

So where are we next year if we remain with this squad and tick over

1) Goal keeper on loan returned. Sold our own young one. 

2) Defender on loan from MC returned 

3) CM year older and slower

4) DG year older 

5) BD year fatter and slower 

** youngsters coming of age??

im worried we’ll be in a far worse situation a year down line and in need of major squad overhaul.

Edited by markhayhurst
  • Like 2