BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Looks like we are looking for scraps tomorrow. Hope I am wrong, but this window is looking pretty shit as of now. The lack of attention on the defence is puzzling. 

Fear not we’ll sell Dack and Lenihan to raise funds.. be linked with a great signing and just miss out on it as the paperwork won’t be done on time ?

Just now, DE. said:

If the window ends with no further defensive additions then, imo, Mowbray owes the fans a detailed explanation as to why he's gone back on his word. It's not just a few "negative" fans that are unhappy about this, even the traditionally glass half full types remember that "defenders are coming" quote and are upset about being lied to. Without a proper, fair explanation Mowbray will lose a lot of goodwill from a lot of people if the window ends like this. 

I will be massively underwhelmed, to put it mildly, if we don't sign at least 1 defender. It's inexcusable in my opinion. To even be where we are now is ludicrous. 

Between his comments about defenders coming and saying we had the same budget as last year, not signing any makes no sense. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

If the window ends with no further defensive additions then, imo, Mowbray owes the fans a detailed explanation as to why he's gone back on his word. It's not just a few "negative" fans that are unhappy about this, even the traditionally glass half full types remember that "defenders are coming" quote and are upset about being lied to. Without a proper, fair explanation Mowbray will lose a lot of goodwill from a lot of people if the window ends like this. 

I’m more bothered about results than detailed explanations. Not a good start but after one game, and without seeing more - I’d be inclined to wait to see results before getting upset.

Equally - I’d sooner see Tosins and Walton’s impact, or the most important thing in my view, the actual way we defend. Aka as in better organisation, more communication, better closing down, etc etc from some players we already have. 

We could have spent all the money in the world on defenders, but if the teams not setup correctly or motivated to actually want to defend - you’ll concede daft goals all day.

That for me will be TMs undoing before long.

Edited by Harry The Bass
  • Like 1

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

I’m more bothered about results than detailed explanations. Not a good start but after one game, and without seeing more - I’d be inclined to wait to see results before getting upset.

Equally - I’d sooner see Tosins and Walton’s impact, or the most important thing in my view, the actual way we defend. Aka as in better organisation, more communication, better closing down, etc etc from some players we already have. 

We could have spent all the money in the world on defenders, but if the teams not setup correctly or motivated to actually want to defend - you’ll concede daft goals all day.

He will have to explain it, barring we are in the play-off places or not far away. If we are plodding in midtable , or worse, then no matter what has transpired to get us there, those comments he made will be biting ferociously at his ass. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

• Backroom

Mowbray has been here since early 2017 mate, and we've never defended well under him. It isn't going to happen without better players. Mowbray's tactics and coaching aren't going to improve our current lot. I very much doubt Walton and Tosin, with all due respect to both of them, are going to be able to change that. We need a proper, experienced, solid CB who can read the game and most importantly lead the team on the pitch. Time and time again we come unstuck because the players don't seem to understand the defensive coaching we supposedly do, and there's no older head on the pitch to be able to guide the team when the shape starts falling apart. The second goal on Saturday is a perfect example. We lose the ball, our shape dissolves, nobody reacts and when the ball ends up in the back of the net you've got Mulgrew staring at the ground as usual and Lenihan looking around, mouth agape. No leadership on the pitch at all and it's desperately needed.

• Like 6

Agree about the organisation.  The fact that Mowbray, who was a bloody good defender, can not get this lot working as a unit after 2 years with the same group says one of two things.  

1) He cannot organise and set up a team  in which case he needs potting ASAP. 

2). The players simply aren't good enough and can't follow instructions.  In which case they should have been replaced 12 months ago.

Either way reflects badly on TM.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

Mowbray has been here since early 2017 mate, and we've never defended well under him. It isn't going to happen without better players. Mowbray's tactics and coaching aren't going to improve our current lot. I very much doubt Walton and Tosin, with all due respect to both of them, are going to be able to change that. We need a proper, experienced, solid CB who can read the game and most importantly lead the team on the pitch. Time and time again we come unstuck because the players don't seem to understand the defensive coaching we supposedly do, and there's no older head on the pitch to be able to guide the team when the shape starts falling apart. The second goal on Saturday is a perfect example. We lose the ball, our shape dissolves, nobody reacts and when the ball ends up in the back of the net you've got Mulgrew staring at the ground as usual and Lenihan looking around, mouth agape. No leadership on the pitch at all and it's desperately needed.

It isn’t going to simply happen buying better players in one or two positions either.

You say it yourself, you doubt Walton or Tosin will make a difference - both key players in (statistically by GC ratio) better defences last season. Both new additions for this season, albeit loans.

As you say, we’ve seldom defended well in the two full seasons, and we’ve many of the same players featuring since before that, there is no magic wand for problems with philosophy.

I get stick for saying it’s not simple but I am only saying what I think - I’m not convinced that team is as far away as many think, yet I’m also concerned the rationale behind our defensive woes fall deeper than playing staff.

Hence I hope TM can prove many people wrong and hit the sort of run that will achieve what we need but I’m not convinced that solely stands on signing this new CB you speak of.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Agree about the organisation.  The fact that Mowbray, who was a bloody good defender, can not get this lot working as a unit after 2 years with the same group says one of two things.  

1) He cannot organise and set up a team  in which case he needs potting ASAP. 

2). The players simply aren't good enough and can't follow instructions.  In which case they should have been replaced 12 months ago.

Either way reflects badly on TM.

Gets away with it because the attacking at times has been arguably good.

A noticeable pattern in his career.

For me sacking managers is down to targets though. Nobody can argue he hasn’t had enough time to “make his bed” but I think he’s achieved basic targets up to this point, and thus if this year is top 6, and he is looking like failing that spectacular or worse, it would be perfect timing.

He will have left us in a much better position than he took over!

• Like 1

Gets away with it because the attacking at times has been arguably good.

A noticeable pattern in his career.

For me sacking managers is down to targets though. Nobody can argue he hasn’t had enough time to “make his bed” but I think he’s achieved basic targets up to this point, and thus if this year is top 6, and he is looking like failing that spectacular or worse, it would be perfect timing.

He will have left us in a much better position than he took over!

I think most fans will agree that he has turned the club around.  Unfortunately, there is little evidence he can take it further.  If he walked away tomorrow, his stock will have risen in the game and he'd be looked back on fondly by supporters.  

Unless he turns the defence around (which he hasn't done to date), I expect most fans will be calling for his head in the next 3 months.

• Like 2

• Backroom

It isn’t going to simply happen buying better players in one or two positions either.

You say it yourself, you doubt Walton or Tosin will make a difference - both key players in (statistically by GC ratio) better defences last season. Both new additions for this season, albeit loans.

As you say, we’ve seldom defended well in the two full seasons, and we’ve many of the same players featuring since before that, there is no magic wand for problems with philosophy.

I get stick for saying it’s not simple but I am only saying what I think - I’m not convinced that team is as far away as many think, yet I’m also concerned the rationale behind our defensive woes fall deeper than playing staff.

Hence I hope TM can prove many people wrong and hit the sort of run that will achieve what we need but I’m not convinced that solely stands on signing this new CB you speak of.

I completely agree that it isn't all about getting in one or even two players. I've already said in the Mowbray Out thread that I'm 100% convinced we will never get into the top six under Mowbray because he simply isn't a brave or smart enough manager. Great at keeping the lads happy, talks a good game, has enough about him to get an okay points total, but that's his limit. If we have ambitions to go up in the next few years I firmly believe he will need to be replaced. The owners won't pick the right person for the job of course, but that's another debate entirely. 

With all of that said the point remains that Mowbray told us flat out at the end of last season that the defence as a whole had proven themselves inadequate for this division. They showed on Saturday that nothing has changed. The manager will be held culpable if it continues and rightly so - he can't feign ignorance because he's already said too much. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

Spot on.

Met a friend yesterday who is in the Parsonblue league for faith, loyalty and optimism and even he is seriously p1ssed off about Mowbray's comments and actions, or lack of them, over the last six months.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DE. said:

What you are forgetting DE is that we haven't had a defence since Big Sam. The post by @Miller11 shown that the level of investment in our defence under Venkys has been appalling from every single manager, not just Mowbray.

In my eyes this is part of a bigger problem. I genuinely don't believe that TM is setting out to go back on his word, I just don't think there's the scope to spend larger sums of money on players who defend. It goes against our transfer history since the dreaded takeover. Money is available for young, attacking players and the defence is put together as cheaply and quietly as it can be.

It was our undoing during Bowyers years and our undoing during the relegation season too. Our defence has been shit since the Samba days.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

It's normally the manager that makes the difference in these situations.

Allardyce being the classic example of taking any old players and getting them organised and set up correctly to become difficult to beat.

Mowbray has never been about the defence in his entire managerial career. He isn't going to start now. I think it was yourself that posted a quote where he had 6 strikers on the pitch at the same time.

He seems to believe we can be a possession based team and therefore under less pressure defensively, looking at the Charlton game, we had 62% possession (according to the BBC) which isn't too shabby but we still lost 2-1 because our defenders just aren't good enough when it matters.

• Like 1