BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

So this is now how Mowbray must have our defence laid out in his head/in his plans. It's really scary.

RB
Bennett
Tosin
Nyambe
JRC
Travis

CB
Lenihan
Mulgrew
Williams
Nyambe
Grayson
Platt

LB
Bell
Williams
Hart
Downing
Davenport

Out On Loan: Scott Wharton (CB), Tyler Magloire (CB)

Just now, RovingRover said:

7 actually. He also spent time out on loan at Scunthorpe.
I have seen some scouting data on him. He was the subject of some transfer interest in Greece and is highly thought of.

The 7 games includes sub appearances. 

So have you actually seen him play? It's just you sounded very adamant that he was a huge upgrade on what we have. Doesn't really sound like one to me. 

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

So this is now how Mowbray must have our defence laid out in his head/in his plans. It's really scary.

RB
Bennett
Tosin
Nyambe
JRC
Travis

CB
Lenihan
Mulgrew
Williams
Nyambe
Grayson
Platt

LB
Bell
Williams
Hart
Downing
Davenport

League 1 standard

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

The 7 games includes sub appearances. 

So have you actually seen him play? It's just you sounded very adamant that he was a huge upgrade on what we have. Doesn't really sound like one to me. 

I trust the scouting data I have reviewed.

RB
Bennett
Tosin
Nyambe
JRC
Travis

CB
Lenihan
Mulgrew
Williams
Nyambe
Grayson
Platt

LB
Bell
Williams
Hart
Downing
Davenport

A bit questionable now that. Why would you put Tosin as a right-back and not centre back? Mowbray and the player said he is not being signed for right-back.

Grayson and particularly Platt are miles away from the first team. Where is Magloire? 

Hart is ahead of Williams at left-back and I don't understand why you have Davenport there? 

The rest is probably close enough. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

A bit questionable now that. Why would you put Tosin as a right-back and not centre back? Mowbray and the player said he is not being signed for right-back.

Grayson and particularly Platt are miles away from the first team. Where is Magloire? 

Hart is ahead of Williams at left-back and I don't understand why you have Davenport there? 

The rest is probable close enough. 

Magloire going out on loan, noted at the bottom.

Davenport has played plenty of left-back.

Hart isn't above of Williams at left-back...

And Grayson will make the bench plenty this season.

Seriously, someone local needs to go and see Tony, and explain the situation! If we can see that we need defenders, and he doesn't then he needs to be told!

Local paper needs to ask the real questions! Why are we told that defenders would be coming in, yet he loans out some, releases some, and only brings in a youngster from Man City. 

I can't see Magloire going on loan and Platt and Grayson being kept around for the first team squad. 

Davenport is a midfielder here. I have heard no suggestion or got no hint he would be used as a left-back

Hart would have started last weekend if he wasn't injured I bet. Williams is a CB now barring no other options at left-back 

I can't see Magloire going on loan and Platt and Grayson being kept around for the first team squad. 

Davenport is a midfielder here. I have heard no suggestion or got no hint he would be used as a left-back

Hart would have started last weekend if he wasn't injured I bet. Williams is a CB now barring no other options at left-back 

Magloire is going to Rochdale on loan for the season. Grayson being kept around the first team. 

Davenport has played left back as a secondary position his entire youth career, hence the reason he's there but listed as probably the last straw option at the club.

And I don't think he would have started Hart, I would, but TM doesn't ever seem to see it the way I do. 

Further to point above about defensive squad depth, here's a basic list of our squad depth right through the whole team.

Magloire and Wharton both out on loan for the season so I've listed a few of the 23's at centre-back below the first teamers.

201363390_BlackburnOptions(1).thumb.png.4e05aba8753fd2b60f05e7fa6b5a75ee.png

Magloire is going to Rochdale on loan for the season. Grayson being kept around the first team. 

Davenport has played left back as a secondary position his entire youth career, hence the reason he's there but listed as probably the last straw option at the club.

And I don't think he would have started Hart, I would, but TM doesn't ever seem to see it the way I do. 

Strange, if Magloire is the better player, I don't get why he goes but Grayson stays. Particularly as things stand. 

Strange, if Magloire is the better player, I don't get why he goes but Grayson stays. Particularly as things stand. 

I think Mowbray probably likes the fact Grayson is more versatile, having played CB, LB and CM at youth level. Plus it's not Tony's style to play players in their actual position.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Play fair! Rather dismissive to start a post with a suggestion its merely PR for the club. I only post my opinion.

Last line is particularly a sore one - Jack O'Connell. Cant remember the exact timing of his departure, but surely he would've been the perfect person to replace either Duffy or Hanley. Low and behold, we end up with Greer and Brown.

That to me is a mistake caused by a lack of direction and continuity - similarly, Wharton is now seen as someone yet to develop, but we gave him a contract and thus leaves for league 2 opportunities. Constant upheaval of staff, a stream of decisions made by people who would leave within months. 

Much of that is why I find that pre-mowbray stuff is largely irrelevant when assessing his decisions. The key stuff for me is what he inherited, what he has spent, and what he has now. 

On that basis alone, it is impossible to ignore the weight of funding has gone into attacking positions. I see this as a flaw in recruitment - but perhaps give the him more benefit of the doubt in some respects. Just to quickly summarise a few previously mentioned;

1. More options initially (squad he inherited) defensively than offensively, in the squad and on the cusp via the academy,

2. A difficult market (which has doubled in value since 2014) to attract players (wages, 2 windows in league one etc) - Even our recent "splurge" is dwarfed by the standard wage spend of recently relegated clubs

3. A need for a complete upheaval of any analysis or proper European scouting, because the previous decline to TM had seen this completely neglected.

These factors in no way exclude blame or are attempts to "defend" Mowbray either. They don't hide potential mistakes like for the inability to get a striker to compete with Graham last year and settling for a 19 year old, or the renewals of some players unlikely to feature, or this summer to sell Raya before making sure we have a better replacement lined up. Mistakes have compounded our difficulties in competing with better budgets or better run clubs, and the next one will be failing to stop us making stupid defensive mistakes - regardless of personnel.

The mistakes individually are subjective too - I am sure there are many who will say turning down 15m of Dack is/was a huge mistake, but I would've been scathing of the club if that had/has happens at any time soon.

Id rather judge them both by their actions and outcomes.

If they are telling us they have relative free reign within budgets, they pump the expectations up. My own included.

In terms of how easy is it to believe "Venkys" are meddling in transfer business in relation to investment in defenders, to get to that view I would have to ignore that the club has made more selling money selling defenders in their time than any other position, namely our record sale Phil Jones. Surely that would be motivation for any "model" hinged on buying low and selling high, to go out and spend 5 million on a young centre back who might be worth 30m in 2 seasons?

I didn’t mean to suggest you were merely doing club PR... although there’s plenty on twitter and Facebook who do. But I think some of the points you make are similar to claims they will make. Was meant at a pop at the club rather than you.

I’m as annoyed as anyone about the situation we find ourselves in, due in no small part that it was my questions and pressing that led to Mowbray’s “defenders are coming” speech. I also had discussions with both Mowbray and Waggott about my concerns at the end of the consultation meeting - I walked out of there more happy with things than I had been since they took over. I went on record with these thoughts. I new feel duped.

Completely agree that their model is flawed by the way, and I’ve no idea why defenders aren’t considered as part of it (Ezri Konsa was a player I banged on about last summer). But they clearly have delusions of running the club like some sort of battery chicken farm, with rearing players much more important than winning games of football. Brereton will need a hell of a season this year to get near being worth what we paid for him, and him, Rothwell and Nyambe all struggle for game time behind players with literally no sale value.

We might be in a better position than we were, but we are still miles away from being a normally functioning club in my opinion.

• Like 6

Further to point above about defensive squad depth, here's a basic list of our squad depth right through the whole team.

Magloire and Wharton both out on loan for the season so I've listed a few of the 23's at centre-back below the first teamers.

201363390_BlackburnOptions(1).thumb.png.4e05aba8753fd2b60f05e7fa6b5a75ee.png

When you adjust for players with experience at 1st team level.

1071513369_BlackburnOptions(1).png.8f20377551c2a0db38565a30d945f784.png

Sharpe has been dampening expectations for days now regarding defence.

Same line, if something comes up they will look at it but don't expect any big money to be changing hands.

Think here he is just trying to get in early before he is engulfed with "surely that means that there is a CB coming in?" comments. 

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Sharpe has been dampening expectations for days now regarding defence.

Same line, if something comes up they will look at it but don't expect any big money to be changing hands.

Think here he is just trying to get in early before he is engulfed with "surely that means that there is a CB coming in?" comments. 

Ya, good look with that Rich. He has over 50 comments on the tweet now ?

Wait, so is the club, via Sharpe, saying that we shouldn't expect any incomings? 

Why clarify that if not 

If no more incomings and Lenihan gets injured, TM will be potted before Christmas as there is no adequate cover for something that is already very weak.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Really though, what is the point in posting that list? Every single player on it is outside our wage structure from what I can tell. Some comically outside our budget. 

Last Summer, Rodwell would have been in that bracket...

• Like 2