BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, DE. said:

I honestly don't think Mowbray has the courage to try three at the back regularly. He tried it a couple of times last season and it failed so miserably it was quickly forgotten. We haven't been playing three at the back in pre-season and we have nowhere near enough depth at CB to play that kind of system regularly, so, I doubt it's even come into Mowbray's thoughts as far as transfer targets are concerned. if it was then we would surely have been on the lookout for higher quality wing backs and more than just one CB signing.  

Agreed. End of day though, he was always going to choose Fulham over us anyway. We really didn't help ourselves though.

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

So will Cunningham play at Fulham, or will he need 2 months to inspect the wallpaper at Ewood to make sure he feels at home?

Defence likely to be

Bennett, Lenihan, Williams, Bell

but should be

Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams, Cunningham

not that I like Williams but I don't think he'll play the City lad 

Lots of wallpaper inspecting anticipated.

Just now, Dolly blue said:

Pleased with Cunningham signing.....North End fans speak very highly of him. However......I cannot believe that Mowbray hasn’t replaced Mulgrew.....looks like Williams will be the only defensive cover. I am going to enjoy typing this next sentence....Mulgrew has gone and we will be far better without him.

Mowbray’s transfer dealings have been nothing short of appalling...he cannot be allowed to stay in post for much longer.

I agree, you don't build a team with one senior player per window (or even zero players per window) and don't offload the deadwood.

Just now, Mercer said:

Think it's clear as day, we barely had a transfer pot to p1ss in and all incomings (fees / wages) had to at least be matched by equal outgoings.  Been posting this for some time now.

The £5million on Gallagher, IMO, now looks the height of folly.  Thi8s follows on from the £7million, IMO, spunked up the wall on Brereton.

Think my bet on Mowbray being the first Championship Manager to go is looking increasingly good.  Think he's under pressure and rattled as his comments showed today.

Still unsure about BB, think that he has ability but must be played in his correct position in a system that suits him.  Cannot lump it up and expect him to hold, its crap football and would not be fair to him.

With Cunningham coming and assuming Mowbray plays his best players in his preferred system, we may just may get away with it because we can and do look dangerous going forward.  He cannot play his favourites because they are his favourites and if there are a couple of injuries in defence, then we are thoroughly stuffed.  Should either situation happen and we are struggling in October, he will be potted and Johnson will take over at least in the short term.  Not a disaster in my view as I think he will have his set up of the team better

I agree with you that he is definitely rattled and judging by his comments earlier, genuinely worry about his mental health, I hope his bosses, whoever they may be, are taking notice as they have a duty of care.

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Can we still sign players from abroad ?

Only the English window closed ?

Plus we can still free released players ?

We can only sign free agents after this window. We could sell players to leagues with windows that are still open though, I think.

Extremely poor window and unfortunately most of that sentiment can be blamed on Mowbray.

As the end of last year he waxed lyrical about the European scouting network, the need to invest, a desire to get into the top 6 and the now infamous 'defenders are coming'.

We have ended up with:

- A striker at $5m we arguably don't need currently

- A 35 year old Stewart downing who will be played as a utility man

- Johnson, this is an improvement

- A left back who couldn't get into a Cardiff side

- A keeper who so far looks to be no upgrade on our academy graduate, except a few inches higher

If we didn't have the means to do anything more TM should not have raised expectations. I am fed up with his prophetic interviews where he talks about how difficult it is to sign players with all the relevant excuses...….that's your bloody job!

The buck now firmly stops with him. Results will be the barometer and I am not hopeful we will be sitting pretty in December.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 3

Surely Tosin will play now.

No matter what Mowbray said, we will have agreed to so many games for him to play, so at a guess Mulgrew knew it was his place he would be taking.

Williams now first back up.

• Like 1

Just now, DanielMB said:

Im so confused after this window. Mowbray has been talking a lot about our european scouting network and we haven't signed anyone from abroad. Im pretty sure we haven't signed anyone that Tony didn't know everything about. He has also talked about the need for new defenders. We have loaned 2 so we now have 3 left backs, 1 right back and 2 centre backs assuming we are selling Mulgrew. Is he gonna try out a new formation or is he back to the round holes  thing?

Quite clear there wasn't a plan or if there was it was flawed to the extent it achieved nothing, so in the end we've reverted back to what we know best which is rushing around for generous loans on the last day of the window to come and fill in for the season before clearing off elsewhere.

All his talk of building, growing a squad, no evidence to back that up.

IF we survive in the Championship season, which i would shake hands on now, we're facing a major task next summer in even putting a defence out.

Hand to mouth reactive existence. Not going anywhere with it. 

Quite staggering to think how much of a drawn out farce this whole pantomime has been. Go back to last summer and Mowbray's talk of 3-4 windows to get where he wanted us to be, investment from the owners into the squad, European scouting, to be sat here 12 months on having padded out the squad with a few loans whilst taking a punt on Gallagher as the lottery ticket. Not what was promised at all. Then there's the mystery of the vanishing transfer kitty. Only two weeks ago Mowbray stated clearly that the Raya money hadn't been touched. He also said after January cash was left over, yet we couldn't find a single player to improve this defence with that cash? No, that's nonsense.

Last two summer deadline days - committed £7 million on Ben Brereton and allowed club captain to go to Wigan - on loan! Not the behaviour of a club with a rational plan in place that is for sure.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

Just now, Trinidad Rover said:

Extremely poor window and unfortunately most of that sentiment can be blamed on Mowbray.

As the end of last year he waxed lyrical about the European scouting network, the need to invest, a desire to get into the top 6 and the now infamous 'defenders are coming'.

We have ended up with:

- A keeper who so far looks to be no upgrade on our academy graduate, except a few inches higher

If we didn't have the means to do anything more TM should not have raised expectations. I am fed up with his prophetic interviews where he talks about how difficult it is to sign players with all the relevant excuses...….that's your bloody job!

The buck now firmly stops with him. Results will be the barometer and I am not hopeful we will be sitting pretty in December.

I hope I'm wrong.

Agreed. But Cunningham is a good signing regardless if he was first choice at Cardiff or not, sometimes it doesn’t work out at certain clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, Trinidad Rover said:

We have ended up with:

I hope I'm wrong.

I think you're being a bit unfair on Cunningham, by all accounts he's pretty decent FB, kept out of Cardiff's team by a very good player.

• Like 1

Just now, OldEwoodBlue said:

Can we still sign players from abroad ?

Only the English window closed ?

Plus we can still free released players ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11770780/transfer-deadline-day-when-does-summer-2019-window-close

Also and as far as I know free agents can be bought at any time

Edited by AllRoverAsia