BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Not a very inspiring window, 

Downing bags of experience but any better than Conway or should he be playing ahead of Rothwell? Free transfer and good squad player but not overly exciting signing. 

Tosin loan deal, mixed reviews at WBA with many glad to see back of him, that being said apparently better full back than centre back and pepe rates him, big pressure on his shoulders and all eggs in his basket now.

Johnson - an improvement on Smallwood and Evan's and did well Saturday.

Gallagher- frustrates life out of me, 6.5 and cant win an aerial dual, money should of been spent elsewhere and I think Graham is a better option.

Walton - talking to in laws (home and away Wigan season ticket holders) say great shopper but cant catch a cold or command his box, only on loan but better was available.

Cunningham- makes that 3 loans, but a great signing despite not much football last 12 months , will be more defensive minded and we need that.

Mulgrew apparently had major bust up with Mowbray this morning, a lot of unrest due to interview were the defence was slagged off (defence has been poor).

Then TM basically told club to get him out. Unhappy camp , not a good sign with a number of players questioning interview, and TM

Top 6 the target,  then a disastrous window like this,

I'm sure a few will say We ve let go passed it players,  but we've let go key leaders in the changing room and popular characters in the squad.

I think TM may be lucky to get to November as the funds were there and this is how it's been spent 

• Like 6

Looking at other clubs’ twitter feeds, it seems that there are a lot of disappointed fans and many feel their club has had a shocking transfer window. 

I would say Fulham have had a blinder and should walk the league. Boro and Charlton potentially had the worst? Lost key players and not bought anyone of note. 

Many clubs have bought good players but also lost very good players (e.g West Brom, Brentford, Leeds, Derby).

Interesting season ahead. I would expect another lower mid table finish. 

Just trying to work out what happens when Lenihan picks up his inevitable injury. Williams no pre-season of any description. Presume the 'grand plan' is to make Nyambe into a backup CB. We'll be seeing Joe Grayson in the team, no doubt about it.

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

So when all said and done:

Walton

Nyambe - Tosin - Lenihan - Cunninghan 

Travis        Johnson 

Downing            Dack           Rothwell

Gallagher

Is our best XI for me (one wing spot being the only question, and probably Downing gets the nod down to his quality on the bell and set plays).

Agree with that line up except DG in for Gallagher.

The problems start if either we get a couple of injuries, or Tosin proves to be toss.

Edited by Hasta

Cunningham seems well received but in an ideal world, would have loved Austin (instead of Gallagher), and Reed, and a big centre back, which we are still sorely lacking. With them on board as Bowyer said we might have been able to have given it a right good go.

Have to say overall, it's been a disappointing window. 

• Like 2

Just now, Angry_Pirate said:

So when all said and done:

Walton

Nyambe - Tosin - Lenihan - Cunninghan 

Travis        Johnson 

Downing            Dack           Rothwell

Gallagher

Is our best XI for me (one wing spot being the only question, and probably Downing gets the nod down to his quality on the bell and set plays).

Of course we all know Bennett will play, and Rothwell won't.

Not a complete failure of a window, however 3 loans and no depth at all in defense, we haven't upgraded on Raya and the only players we signed were either pushing career twilight or vastly expensive...

Expecting a free agent CB (a la Rodwell) to come in and hope to god Smallwood to go out.

Long month ahead... see if it's enough to keep Mowbray in his job.

defence

Just now, glen9mullan said:

Downing bags of experience but any better than Conway or should he be playing ahead of Rothwell? Free transfer and good squad player but not overly exciting signing. 

Tosin loan deal, mixed reviews at WBA with many glad to see back of him, that being said apparently better full back than centre back and pepe rates him, big pressure on his shoulders and all eggs in his basket now.

Gallagher- frustrates life out of me, 6.5 and cant win an aerial dual, money should of been spent elsewhere and I think Graham is a better option.

Walton - talking to in laws (home and away Wigan season ticket holders) say great shopper but cant catch a cold or command his box, only on loan but better was available.

Cunningham- makes that 3 loans, but a great signing despite not much football last 12 months , will be more defensive minded and we need that.

Mulgrew apparently had major bust up with Mowbray this morning, a lot of unrest due to interview were the defence was slagged off (defence has been poor).

Then TM basically told club to get him out. Unhappy camp , not a good sign with a number of players questioning interview, and TM

I'm sure a few will say We ve let go passed it players,  but we've let go key leaders in the changing room and popular characters in the squad.

I think TM may be lucky to get to November as the funds were there and this is how it's been spent 

If TM has any sort of backbone he should freeze out these clowns that get all precious about interviews, especially when conducted in the heat of the moment. There's no room for sentiment in football so thanks for your time Charlie but you were fucking dogshit on Saturday, and for some time last season, so off you fuck to Wigan. And if anyone else has a problem with it fuck off to the U23's. 

Perhaps this the beginning of Tony turning away from his favourites, which would be encouraging. 

If nothing else this Cardiff lad is a good looking bastard. 

• Like 1

do you know who the other players are? 

Underwhelmed and a missed opportunity but not a disaster. Marginally stronger than last season but not by much. Cunningham and Johnson are definite upgrades. Walton and Tosin are unknowns. Downing and Gallagher could do well but surely the money could have gone elsewhere.

My optimism rests in Dack, Travis, Johnson, Rothwell, Buckley and Cunningham. Get the right players on the pitch and we could go ok. 

If we persevere with Bell, Bennett, Evans and Smallwood then we’re in trouble.

• Like 1

Well, thanks for all the goals and helping to instil a bit of pride in the club again Mr Mulgrew. That League One promotion season was brilliant and those free kicks were bloody awesome. Not too much time for sentiment though, it is time to move on.  

I have no idea what to make of this window. It seems like last January but scarier and dafter. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Something like this has been coming with the way Mowbray has been going on in the press. Players like Travis, Nyambe, etc will keep their heads down because they know they aren't in a position to kick up a fuss, but when the senior players start getting annoyed then it only goes one way. This is really concerning imo. 

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Cunningham seems well received but in an ideal world, would have loved Austin (instead of Gallagher), and Reed, and a big centre back, which we are still sorely lacking. With them on board as Bowyer said we might have been able to have given it a right good go.

You're mistaking the difference between using money to try and get promotion bolting a few big guns onto a half decent but lacking squad with plugging gaps in an investment based model looking to grow to sell whilst hovering in the middle.

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Quite clear there wasn't a plan or if there was it was flawed to the extent it achieved nothing, so in the end we've reverted back to what we know best which is rushing around for generous loans on the last day of the window to come and fill in for the season before clearing off elsewhere.

All his talk of building, growing a squad, no evidence to back that up.

IF we survive in the Championship season, which i would shake hands on now, we're facing a major task next summer in even putting a defence out.

Hand to mouth reactive existence. Not going anywhere with it. 

Quite staggering to think how much of a drawn out farce this whole pantomime has been. Go back to last summer and Mowbray's talk of 3-4 windows to get where he wanted us to be, investment from the owners into the squad, European scouting, to be sat here 12 months on having padded out the squad with a few loans whilst taking a punt on Gallagher as the lottery ticket. Not what was promised at all. Then there's the mystery of the vanishing transfer kitty. Only two weeks ago Mowbray stated clearly that the Raya money hadn't been touched. He also said after January cash was left over, yet we couldn't find a single player to improve this defence with that cash? No, that's nonsense.

Last two summer deadline days - committed £7 million on Ben Brereton and allowed club captain to go to Wigan - on loan! Not the behaviour of a club with a rational plan in place that is for sure.

Cunningham very good signing, Johnson very good signing, Tosin hopefully a decent signing, Walton, let’s hope he can cut the crosses out which Raya struggled with, Downing seems he can still do it and Gallagher a decent pacy target man, you don’t seem to have mentioned any of them.

• Like 2

Just now, AJW said:

The re-signing of Rodwell would actually seem quite logical and sensible considering the madness of this window 

Hmm. Not sure if his fitness or motivation. He Will get the same can’t guarantee you a place speech and probably less money  

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Tosin is 6'5''. Not big enough?

• Like 1