BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, unsall said:

Cunningham very good signing, Johnson very good signing, Tosin hopefully a decent signing, Walton, let’s hope he can cut the crosses out which Raya struggled with, Downing seems he can still do it and Gallagher a decent pacy target man, you don’t seem to have mentioned any of them.

We could sign Cristiano Ronaldo and I'd still be concerned about that defence. 

• Like 2

I’m disappointed with the window but to be honest I didn’t think TM had the stones to push out one of his favourites.

TM gets rightly criticised for his loyalty so i’ll give him some credit for being ruthless for once. Mulgrew isn’t a loss. Our defence improved when he wasn’t in it last season.

Not replacing Mulgrew is a different issue.

• Like 5

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mulgrew's exit, although cheered on by some here could have a real impact on squad morale, as Glenn suggests above.  Mulgrew has been a key fixture in the squad for three years and his leaving under these circumstances is worrying.  

We also have to find 10/12 goals per season from somewhere else to compensate.  

• Like 1

Just now, Hi Mack said:

Not signing a CB is madness, not buying a CB and selling one (if Mulgrew actually goes) is absolutely astonishing.

Williams isn't a CB and never will be.

TM is showing early signs of losing the plot.

Williams wasn't a CB until he joined Rovers and then Coil had one of brainwaves and we've been lumbered ever since. At CB Wiiliams has looked half-decent but worrying if he is now the number one at left CB.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mulgrew's exit, although cheered on by some here could have a real impact on squad morale, as Glenn suggests above.  Mulgrew has been a key fixture in the squad for three years and his leaving under these circumstances is worrying.  

But then we’re back to keeping players on for reasons other than their footballing ability. 

I wish TM was this ruthless with more of them. Elliot wouldn’t be sleeping so well if so.

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I'm sure Mulgrew is aware of the stick he has been getting from fans and didn't fancy hanging around for it to become worse. Maybe he just asked to go?

Yeah, no way is TM ruthless enough to just get shut of anyone.

• Backroom
Just now, Fraserkirky said:

I’d be straight on the blower to Jack Rodwell.

Just now, AJW said:

The re-signing of Rodwell would actually seem quite logical and sensible considering the madness of this window 

I get the theory that he's fairly good as a cover player in the squad, but is he really the type of character we need around the club?

People talk of footballers needing a rest.  The likes of Harry Kane etc have played football pretty much constantly for 2 years now with the World Cup and Nations League.

Rodwell has had about 3 of the last 4 years on holiday. He should be the freshest footballer in all 4 divisions.

And at his age at the last chance saloon, should have had himself in pre-season training from the start of July. 

But no, he pissed off the other side of the World on a jolly instead.

Tells me all I need to know. 

No thank you Jack. Take your bags of money and ride off into sunset. I don't think professional sport is for you.

Maybe a few rounds of golf with Gareth Bale is more up your street. 

• Like 6

Just now, toogs said:

We also have to find 10/12 goals per season from somewhere else to compensate.  

I'm sure somebody else can score penalties. Didn't score many direct free kicks last season as Championship goalkeepers are better (except for Peacock-Farrell)

Just now, Tormund said:

Come on Jack Roswell really? Clearly not arsed about being here and didn’t exactly perform that well last season.

Playing at CB definitely seemed a bit alien to him last season. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin, Cunningham. Doesn’t look too bad, providing Tosin performs well. 

Agreed. Better than last season. However...

37 minutes ago, Darrenbot said:

That would be the ideal defence but will Mowbray pick that defence is another thing altogether

This is one of the problems. The other problem is there will be injuries and suspensions - defenders do pick up a fair few bookings - and we are rediculously thin on numbers and quality beyond these 4. 

As for the window overall depends what you rate it against. Some of Venkys worst and last January - excellent. A team aiming for top 6 - poor. I'd say it's treading water. We avoided a disastrous window and the defence looks marginally better - although unconvinced any improvement on the keeper front. We've strengthened up top in options and Johnson looks a good player. That said I feel he is a downgrade on Reed and there's a lot of pressure on Gally to come good. Being better than Bereton isn't enough. Most worrying for me is a) how light we are defensively and b) how short term our window has been. All 3 key defensive signings , plus our 2 miss may need replacing next year. Given how slow we do transfers and deals it feels like we've deferred rather than defused the time bomb. And if injuries in defence or a few odd selections occur we may not have even done that. 

Well it finished with one loan in today, which is what I said at 8 o clock this morning. That defence scares me, one injury away from a complete disaster, relying on Williams, really? 

I think mowbray has overstayed his welcome already, window and league was there for the taking this summer and he has stumbled and humbled his way around with loans to cover up broken legs. Leaves us in a horrible position next summer when we lose all the loans and older legs. I don’t think the league is great shakes this year, nobody has blown me away with signings but with that defence we are going nowhere near playoffs. 

I wouldn’t take rodwell but I would still take lynch for an experienced centre back. Has Marshall been snapped up, for a right back/ right wing cover he wouldn’t be the worst 

• Like 6

• Backroom

Personally think that if Cunningham's signing shifts Bell to the bench and Williams to CB in Mulgrew's stead, then we've improved two positions imo.

However, the question is whether we've improved them ENOUGH, as I was expecting at least one other CB. Could still be, I guess, with potential deals still being done, or with freebies to consider.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 5

So to rate the transfer window.

I believe we are stronger then we finished last season and would give it a 6.5/10

Goalkeeper 4/10

I'm disappointed we sold Raya and got Walton , I see it as a minor downgrade and even worse a problem we have to address again next season when his loan ends

Defence 7/10

I for one am glad we went for a LB over a CB today, although would have preferred both! I think tosin's physicality is something we have missed and believe he's good enough for a team looking to go for play off's. I also rate lenihan and think Williams is a decent back up. So overall we can field a decent CB paring although cover is thin on the ground.

I believe nyambe can be a good enough RB, it's just a shame Mowbray seems to only rate Bennet.  As for LB really glad we got Cunningham over the line. 

Overall defensively we are solid now but lack cover.

Midfield 8/10

Johnson is a good signing and downing isn't bad either. only downside is they are both fairly short term with them both the wrong side of 30. Shame we haven't shipped out smallwood. we are incredibly bloated in midfield options. and it could stop the likes of travis, davenport, buckley and Rothwell getting game time their development needs.

Attack 6/10

First did we keep dack or do clubs see his performances have dropped in 2019? we may one day regret rejecting WBA advances last summer.

Gallagher is fairly good, liked him last time he was hear and sort of feels like the graham replacement long term, I don't know where it leaves Armstrong and ben Brereton as number 9's though.

sham to see the nut leave but he's more likely to have found his level in league 1 then be someone who we eventually regret going in my opinion.

All that said we are stronger but still shy of playoff ready. the main issue is actually Dack. something has happened and he doesn't look the same player anymore. A dack we had in league 1/ first 3 months of championship with our additions could fire us as an outside shot but I think we'll be doing well to get top half at the moment.

Mowbray to make it all the way through the season, then binned during his trip to india next summer.

Edited by bboy
  • Like 2