BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

“From what I’ve seen, he’s very efficient and economical. He’s steady, defends the back post, tackles players and gets stuck in"

Not a ringing endorsement I'd say. Seems fair to say Mowbray feels the issues in the heart of the defence can be fixed by a keeper who's size deters crosses and better fullbacks to stop the crosses. 

Williams is not the long term answer at CB. Hopefully, Tosin successfully takes the CB spot for the duration of his loan and Williams gets nowhere near the starting 11 at CB or LB.

We are stronger in defence with Mulgrew and Williams out of the starting 11

• Like 4

Just now, Mike E said:

Personally think that if Cunningham's signing shifts Bell to the bench and Williams to CB in Mulgrew's stead, then we've improved two positions imo.

However, I was expecting at least one other CB. Could still be, I guess, with potential deals still being done, or with freebies to consider.

I think Tosin will start alongside Lenihan more games than not, with Williams being third choice. Whenever Nyambe starts will be when Bennett serves a suspension or is pushed further up the field for his workrate or team balance.

We have a good starting eleven now, with good impact players on the bench.  It's really up to Mowbray to improve his team selections and tactical adjustments on the fly. He's 0 for 1 so far.

• Like 2

Just now, toogs said:

We also have to find 10/12 goals per season from somewhere else to compensate.  

We have 2 expensive strikers and Danny Graham, plus Dack. If we cant score enough without mulgrew then id be worried. Most were penalties, hes only score about 3 free kicks in a better division, downing could do that. 

• Like 1

Mowbrays stance against Mulgrew for me is a sign that he knows he’s under pressure. Mulgrew and Bennett are piss poor defenders. If he’s cslled them out then so what. More importantly he’s seems to have fired Mulgrew off to Wigan for his insolence. The squad may be feeling a little unnerved. Good, I say. There’s a few in there like Dack, Mulgrew, Bennett who’ve been coasting for months. 

Maybe it’s a shot across the bows of the players who’ll be thinking “Jeez, you don’t wanna piss the gaffer off. If he can shift the club captain out in half a day he can get rid of any of us!”

• Like 8

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Williams is not the long term answer at CB. Hopefully, Tosin successfully takes the CB spot for the duration of his loan and Williams gets nowhere near the starting 11 at CB or LB.

We are stronger in defence with Mulgrew and Williams out of the starting 11

Williams is a decent cb and much better than Mulgrew.

I can’t believe folk are so blasé about the centre back position.  Centre back is the key position in a football team and without a good partnership you are screwed, hence why some are predicting doom and gloom.  We have 1 good centre back who has missed half of the games in the last couple of years, backed up by a loanee who wasn’t good enough to play that position last year at the same level and a couple of full backs.  Not good however you look at it really.

• Like 7

Top of my list was a new left back, so I’m happy that we’ve got Cunningham.

Really wanted a combative all round midfielder, so happy with Johnson.

Downing decent squad player.

Keeper will be alright, but he’s not ours.

Big worry is centre back. Tosin has played about 10 games there at this level and Williams brings on pressure with his woeful distribution.

Gallagher money should’ve been used for a bit ugly centre back who puts his head on everything (eg Hanley).

Overall 3/10 this window.

• Like 2

Just now, patrickvalery said:

“From what I’ve seen, he’s very efficient and economical. He’s steady, defends the back post, tackles players and gets stuck in"

Not a ringing endorsement I'd say. Seems fair to say Mowbray feels the issues in the heart of the defence can be fixed by a keeper who's size deters crosses and better fullbacks to stop the crosses. 

He has a point about stopiping crosses, problem is we still have bell, williams, bennett and nyambe who are all usless at it.

Window review

Johnson - decent

Gallagher - okay, good option but nothing special 

Tosin - no idea, need to see him play

Downing - okay

Cunningham - decent

Key question - Are we better off than last year....? 

Striker? Yes, Gallagher improvement on Nuttall and Samuel

Winger / Wide forward? Same, maybe slightly better, lost Conway but got downing

Attacking mid? No change.

Centre Mid? Same, lost Reed but got Johnson

Full backs? A bit better as we have Cunningham

Central defence? Probably weaker - lost Mulgrew and Rowell - but gained Tosin whose an unknown quantity. We really need to find a free agent to sign.

Goalkeeper? No idea 

So feels like treading water with a very fragile defence. I reckon we will have a few injuries and a bad run between now and Christmas and Mowbray will lose his job.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I agree although not a ringing endorsement of our choice of centre backs.

my view on the transfer window as a whole. 

Johnson - Very happy with this signing. Impressed in the 1st game. 

Cunningham - delighted with this signing. quality player. Hopefully we signed him permanently next summer. 

Downing - ok signing. Bring experience and should be squad player. decent 1st game. 

Walton - ok signing but expected an experience keeper like Pantilimon or Ruddy or Darlow. I hope Walton turned into a good signing. was never 1st choice target at the start of summer but well down the list for me.

Abarabioyo - Big tall centre back. played out of position at WBA mostly. Hopeful he turns out to be the centre back we need. 

Gallagher - Like him as player and but have to question why we signed him if we didn't have the funds for experience centre back that we need like Hector, Cooper, Burn. Then sign someone like Gary Hooper or Frazier Campbell on a free. 

Disappointed we didn't bring in another centre back today even if it was Ben Heneghan from Sheff Utd as back up centre back if Abarabioyo and Lenihan will be 1st choice. Also felt we need right back in this window like Sam Byram or even Experience full back Alan Hutton.

Also would have hoped we could have got rid of Smallwood, Samuel, Evans. Hopefully Mulgrew has gone as I feel he has gone backwards as a player over the past 6 months of the season.

so I would rate this window as between 5.5 out 10. The Pressure is on Mowbray to deliver results from the fans now.  I don't feel that he is currently under any extra pressure from owners or have a certain amount of points total after so many games. 

I wouldn't be surprise if we bring in 1 our 2 out of contract players in the next few days

• Like 5

Mowbrays stance against Mulgrew for me is a sign that he knows he’s under pressure. Mulgrew and Bennett are piss poor defenders. If he’s cslled them out then so what. More importantly he’s seems to have fired Mulgrew off to Wigan for his insolence. The squad may be feeling a little unnerved. Good, I say. There’s a few in there like Dack, Mulgrew, Bennett who’ve been coasting for months. 

Maybe it’s a shot across the bows of the players who’ll be thinking “Jeez, you don’t wanna piss the gaffer off. If he can shift the club captain out in half a day he can get rid of any of us!”

Good assessment, but I to be fair to Bennett I just think he lacks ability in the Championship. He's an upgrade on Smallwood, but both of them are very limited footballers. Dack was AWOL against Charlton, let's hope he's back to his best soon.

• Like 1

He had a few decent games towards the end of last season and that's about it. That has convinced some that he's a decent CB. He's not.

My point was that they were both pants.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

Although I agree, who can blame them for getting above their station? The ideal way to have shown them they needed to up their game was drop them for the likes of Rothwell who has consistently performed and rarely given the game time he deserved. But yes, I don't think it's a bad thing that Mowbray has laid down a marker if this discontent is true.

That's a good shout to be fair. With all the banter and stuff you see from the club and players social media, it sometimes needs something like this to give people a kick up the backside.

5 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Where's this interview where he slagged off the defence? The Lancs Live one was spent sidestepping the issue entirely and waffling on about Magloire who has nothing to do with the first team. 

yes where is this interview? is it the BBC Radio Lancs one?

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

No, he is total shyte, did you miss last season?

He was fine at centre half, rubbish at left back. It’s not complicated.

You really don’t need to keep repeating yourself re your view of him or Joe Grayson.

Everyone heard you the first time. ?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Tosin loan deal, mixed reviews at WBA with many glad to see back of him, that being said apparently better full back than centre back and pepe rates him. 

All the Baggies fans I’ve spoken to have said he’s a better CB than full back. Is that what you meant or have you heard the opposite?