BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, dinglebasher said:

Sorry to interrupt the communal wrist slitting with a controversial opinion but how about we put away the razor blades until we’ve seen how this lot play football matches? 

This message board has been chock full of criticism of Mulgrew (who, if we’re honest, was scarcely good enough for League 1 at centre half - we only looked defensively competent that season when Lenihan came back in), Raya and Smallwood, and TM has binned them all off. Smallwood wasn’t even in the squad on Saturday.

Ultimately, managers live and die by their signings, and in general, TM has improved the squad massively since he took over. 

The midfield in his first match was Feeney, Lowe, Conway and Guthrie. Emnes was up front with DG, with Steele in goal. The bench was Stokes, Gallagher, Tomlinson, Joao, Wes Brown, Tomlinson, Raya and Mahoney, and the context was a club in free fall with a transfer embargo and indifferent / insane ownership. 

To improve the squad from that line up to the current one, whilst bringing us out of FFP and in the context of Venkys is nothing short of miraculous. 

We should be grateful we have a club at all, and for those of you expecting Premier League football three years after that situation - check yourselves.

Shall we not just see how they get on?

I'm very much in the TM has been amazing for Rovers camp, I agree with basically all of your points, and also think that plenty of posters on here have been harsh in the extreme on players that broadly have contributed well for us.

That said, I think it's totally fair to point out that this window can be at best described as a gamble. Centre half was clearly the position which needed improving. Collectively Tosin and using Williams as CB might make the world of difference, but if they don't work out then we have to say we look very exposed in the area which cost us from going for the top 6 last year.

Totally agree that his job since taking over has been very good, and and suggestion of getting rid of him (or that we'll be in a relegation battle) is ridiculous. I actually think 70% of our business is good/promising. But I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about failing to sign a proven centre half.

Sorry to interrupt the communal wrist slitting with a controversial opinion but how about we put away the razor blades until we’ve seen how this lot play football matches? 

This message board has been chock full of criticism of Mulgrew (who, if we’re honest, was scarcely good enough for League 1 at centre half - we only looked defensively competent that season when Lenihan came back in), Raya and Smallwood, and TM has binned them all off. Smallwood wasn’t even in the squad on Saturday.

Ultimately, managers live and die by their signings, and in general, TM has improved the squad massively since he took over. 

The midfield in his first match was Feeney, Lowe, Conway and Guthrie. Emnes was up front with DG, with Steele in goal. The bench was Stokes, Gallagher, Tomlinson, Joao, Wes Brown, Tomlinson, Raya and Mahoney, and the context was a club in free fall with a transfer embargo and indifferent / insane ownership. 

To improve the squad from that line up to the current one, whilst bringing us out of FFP and in the context of Venkys is nothing short of miraculous. 

We should be grateful we have a club at all, and for those of you expecting Premier League football three years after that situation - check yourselves.

Shall we not just see how they get on?

Some might see it as poor management in not addressing our weaknesses properly and last Saturday wasn't good against relegation candidates at home.  Hope you are right 

Just now, Vilesinner said:

He'll no! Reed isn't needed. Gallagher looked pretty good when played as striker. Pretty sure he and Ben B are going to have fine seasons.

Not knocking Gallagher. Just prefer Reed as an investment. Seeing as there is an argument we needed neither I'd sooner have spent it on Reed. Graham has another season in him so a replacement wasn't imperative. 

But whatever. I think we all know where the investment was needed. Seems to me our summer window got royally buggered by the final few minutes of the league one playoff final and never recovered. But saying that, the players we are looking for are not ten a penny. Every club seems to be looking for centre halves. A dominant centre back costs a lot of money nowadays. 

So it seems that some people are happy with the window but not many.

One thing is for sure, there is certainly not a happy vibe around the club at the moment.

Mowbray's interviews are very tetchy and he certainly seems stressed.

Waggott is making feeble excuses as to where we are spending money ( not on players )

The club captain is gone ( potted or jumped ) - this may not affect the quality of the team but what about the atmosphere in the dresingroom ?

We are a couple of injuries away from having a totally threadbare defence.

We've not looked like a happy camp since January and it now feels even worse.

Meanwhile the 3 stooges will be sleeping contentedly in their Pune mansion totally oblivious that the club is really in a bad place just now.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

Why?

Because if we’d carried on with the disastrous cycle of terrible manager after terrible manager, making dire signings, we’d probably have been in League 2 or worse and even more financially screwed than we are now. It’s less than three years since Coyle was starting Hope Akpan in centre mid.

Amazing how quickly people forget. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, toogs said:

We also have to find 10/12 goals per season from somewhere else to compensate.  

Well the stats suggest he probably cost us more goals than scored so hopefully it will even itself out. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm very much in the TM has been amazing for Rovers camp, I agree with basically all of your points, and also think that plenty of posters on here have been harsh in the extreme on players that broadly have contributed well for us.

That said, I think it's totally fair to point out that this window can be at best described as a gamble. Centre half was clearly the position which needed improving. Collectively Tosin and using Williams as CB might make the world of difference, but if they don't work out then we have to say we look very exposed in the area which cost us from going for the top 6 last year.

Totally agree that his job since taking over has been very good, and and suggestion of getting rid of him (or that we'll be in a relegation battle) is ridiculous. I actually think 70% of our business is good/promising. But I'd be lying if I wasn't concerned about failing to sign a proven centre half.

I take your point but every signing is a gamble. Who would have thought that Sanchez would be so poor at Man Utd? Who would have thought that Samba and Nelsen would do so well for us? They, at least, deserve the chance to show what they can do. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Easily one of the most humiliating days I have ever experienced as a Blackburn Rovers fan trying to get information out with regards to the clubs deals.

The attempt to sign Harrison Reed for instance has really shook me in terms of how low we have fallen.
Fancy trying to sign a player on loan at 30% supplemented wages and offering to sign him at the end of the loan for under £3 million. Soton laughed it off and got the full 100% wages plus an agreement to sign for £5 million come the end of the season with add-ons from Fulham.

We are now categorically left with a weaker defence than the League One defence we had, let alone what we had last season.

We've had far more humiliating days - this was just a slightly disappointing transfer window. 

How can making a cheeky loan bid for Reed be seen as a bad thing? He wouldn't have started this year. Southampton can laugh at the bid - he's 24 and they're still pimping him around the Championship for a bit of extra income. He's clearly not that good.

As for the defence being weaker, give over. It's significantly stronger (assuming he plays the strongest 4 on our books - Cunningham, TA, Lenihan, Nyambe). 

Edited by Exiled_Rover

Forest sign Chema Rodriguez (CB from Spain) and Carl Jenkinson. Let's face it other teams are more advance in their thinking and setups. They have delved into Europe and signed ample cover for key areas. It's about scouting, organisation, having a plan, getting your business done early and then adding to it. We started off OK but have now failed. I've always supported Mowbray but he has proved that he isn't up to the task of moving us forward. It will be a long season. Even teams under a transfer embargo have done better.

QPR for example have signed:

Lee Wallace (LB)

Marc Pugh (LW)

Todd Kane (RB)

Geoff Cameron (DM)

Yoann Barbet (CB)

Luke Amos (DM)

Nahki Wells (ST)

and Jordan Hugill (ST), amongst others.

Under a transfer embargo!! 

I said it at the start of last season and so did Mowbray, we have to look at Europe for help, yet an advert is still out proving we can't do it. That's what last year should have been all about. Our owners and management are still holding us back from a serious promotion push.

Leeds, Bristol City, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Fulham, Stoke, Swansea, Forest, Cardiff and West Brom are miles ahead of us and will finish ahead of us. Unfortunately that is half of the league.

• Like 9

Just now, patrickvalery said:

Not knocking Gallagher. Just prefer Reed as an investment. Seeing as there is an argument we needed neither I'd sooner have spent it on Reed. Graham has another season in him so a replacement wasn't imperative. 

But whatever. I think we all know where the investment was needed. Seems to me our summer window got royally buggered by the final few minutes of the league one playoff final and never recovered. But saying that, the players we are looking for are not ten a penny. Every club seems to be looking for centre halves. A dominant centre back costs a lot of money nowadays. 

If Danny G wasn't 34, I would say Gallagher might not be needed. But it would be a risk just having Ben B and Danny G up front for a season. Anyhow, he has filled out well. I expect he and Ben B to be well among the goals this year for sure. :-)

Just now, savage90 said:

Forest sign Chema Rodriguez (CB from Spain) and Carl Jenkinson. Let's face it other teams are more advance in their thinking and setups. They have delved into Europe and signed ample cover for key areas. It's about scouting, organisation, having a plan, getting your business done early and then adding to it. We started off OK but have now failed. I've always supported Mowbray but he has proved that he isn't up to the task of moving us forward. It will be a long season. Even teams under a transfer embargo have done better.

QPR for example have signed:

Lee Wallace (LB)

Marc Pugh (LW)

Todd Kane (RB)

Geoff Cameron (DM)

Yoann Barbet (CB)

Luke Amos (DM)

Nahki Wells (ST)

and Jordan Hugill (ST), amongst others.

Under a transfer embargo!! 

I said it at the start of last season and so did Mowbray, we have to look at Europe for help, yet an advert is still out proving we can't do it. That's what last year should have been all about. Our owners and management are still holding us back from a serious promotion push.

Leeds, Bristol City, Brentford, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Fulham, Stoke, Swansea, Forest, Cardiff and West Brom are miles ahead of us and will finish ahead of us. Unfortunately that is half of the league.

How is Forest signing Jenkinson any better than what we have done? ?

• Like 1

Defensively our options are:

GK 

Walton, Leutweiler. Potential to be better than last season, but time will tell re Walton.

RB

Nyambe, Bennett, JRC, Travis. I hope in that order, at least this season. IF Nyambe fulfils his potential & is regularly picked, I think that reasonable.

LB

Cunningham, Bell, Downing, Williams, Hart. Plenty of cover there, definitely upgraded.

CB

Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, Nyambe, Grayson, *Magloire, *Wharton. I agree 1 CB short, and reliant on Tosin being good (I'm hopeful given his pedigree). Hopefully this is marginally better than the end of last season. Could be improved further with freebie (eg Lynch).

I think a foursome of Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin or Wiiliams, Cunningham is far better than what started v Charlton. Or a quintet of Nyambe or Bennett, Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, & Cunningham / Bell / Downing would also be decent for this level. 

I'm not sure either of those lineups will figure on Saturday because good defences work as units. Cunningham has just arrived, so I for one would understand if he does not play on Saturday. 

I don't know why some don't accept that that would be legitimate. It can't be because TM doesn't start new signings because 4 out of 5 started on Saturday. So it must be because he wants his defenders to have an understanding of each other's game & to work as a unit. 

As for the window overall, I'd give it 6 out of 10 just now, which could fall to 4 or rise to 8 as the season progresses. I was hoping to be able to say 7 or 8 at this time, so that's disappointing but I see plenty enough not to call it a shambles / catastrophe / shambolic. I like Johnson, Downing & Gallagher & I'm not bothered that Walton, Tosin & Cunningham are loans. It's the modern way  and it gives our many younger prospects the dangling carrot of a route into the first team in 12 months time, which they wouldn't have if those signings were permanent.

We can't have it all ways. We either buy perms (which risks cutting off youngsters' routes into the squad), or we sign loans & keep the youngsters interested. People want signings but the same people complain if he doesn't play youngsters, but there's only 11 players can play at any one time.

Maybe I'm being too generous to TM. He makes mistakes but I like to be optimistic. I'm not going to say top 6, but I think top 10 is realistic and with a good run that could be improved. With our options & cover, I think it unlikely we'll be struggling against relegation. 

• Like 6

Just now, Tormund said:

How is Forest signing Jenkinson any better than what we have done? ?

Ill give you a cryptic clue, "can play with ball, can defend"

Edited by AAK

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Mulgrew's exit, although cheered on by some here could have a real impact on squad morale, as Glenn suggests above.  Mulgrew has been a key fixture in the squad for three years and his leaving under these circumstances is worrying.  

Don't think his exit has been cheered on. Just that he is not in the starting eleven. 

Just now, Tormund said:

We’ve signed a left back that arguably as good if not better?

But hes not is he. Jenkinson has played many premier league games. Was a regular for west ham at one point until injury. If injury free, he will be well ahead. Id love your optimism, but cant share it.

Just now, Atko's Engine said:

Defensively our options are:

GK 

Walton, Leutweiler. Potential to be better than last season, but time will tell re Walton.

RB

Nyambe, Bennett, JRC, Travis. I hope in that order, at least this season. IF Nyambe fulfils his potential & is regularly picked, I think that reasonable.

LB

Cunningham, Bell, Downing, Williams, Hart. Plenty of cover there, definitely upgraded.

CB

Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, Nyambe, Grayson, *Magloire, *Wharton. I agree 1 CB short, and reliant on Tosin being good (I'm hopeful given his pedigree). Hopefully this is marginally better than the end of last season. Could be improved further with freebie (eg Lynch).

I think a foursome of Nyambe, Lenihan, Tosin or Wiiliams, Cunningham is far better than what started v Charlton. Or a quintet of Nyambe or Bennett, Lenihan, Tosin, Williams, & Cunningham / Bell / Downing would also be decent for this level. 

I'm not sure either of those lineups will figure on Saturday because good defences work as units. Cunningham has just arrived, so I for one would understand if he does not play on Saturday. 

I don't know why some don't accept that that would be legitimate. It can't be because TM doesn't start new signings because 4 out of 5 started on Saturday. So it must be because he wants his defenders to have an understanding of each other's game & to work as a unit. 

As for the window overall, I'd give it 6 out of 10 just now, which could fall to 4 or rise to 8 as the season progresses. I was hoping to be able to say 7 or 8 at this time, so that's disappointing but I see plenty enough not to call it a shambles / catastrophe / shambolic. I like Johnson, Downing & Gallagher & I'm not bothered that Walton, Tosin & Cunningham are loans. It's the modern way  and it gives our many younger prospects the dangling carrot of a route into the first team in 12 months time, which they wouldn't have if those signings were permanent.

We can't have it all ways. We either buy perms (which risks cutting off youngsters' routes into the squad), or we sign loans & keep the youngsters interested. People want signings but the same people complain if he doesn't play youngsters, but there's only 11 players can play at any one time.

Maybe I'm being too generous to TM. He makes mistakes but I like to be optimistic. I'm not going to say top 6, but I think top 10 is realistic and with a good run that could be improved. With our options & cover, I think it unlikely we'll be struggling against relegation. 

Good signings indeed. Hopefully we can still bring in an old experienced Centre back. I'd give the Window 6 out of 10 too! 

• Like 1

I take your point but every signing is a gamble. Who would have thought that Sanchez would be so poor at Man Utd? Who would have thought that Samba and Nelsen would do so well for us? They, at least, deserve the chance to show what they can do. 

Again, fair enough, but there's a difference between bringing in Samba when we already have recognised defenders who are up to it and signing an albeit promising young lad to plug our biggest weakness.

Not saying it's not going to work out or that I don't recognise the overall job TM has done, and I'm certainly not falling for some of the more laughably pessimistic statements.

Even so, I'd feel much more relaxed if we brought in a proven defender, if we had I'd have no problem in saying that we've had a good summer.

It’s ironic that other clubs think that we’ve had a decent window. Puts it into perspective. 

It’s been disappointing but not a write off. Describing it as humiliating or a complete disaster is OTT in my opinion. Hopes have not been met but the squad is certainly no weaker than it was last season and is arguably stronger. 

What is going on with Mulgrew? 

• Like 5

Just now, AAK said:

But hes not is he. Jenkinson has played many premier league games. Was a regular for west ham at one point until injury. If injury free, he will be well ahead. Id love your optimism, but cant share it.

He’s hardly a good player is he? Been shipped around everywhere, never settled anywhere. 7 games for Birmingham on loan. 

• Like 1