BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I think that the signings of Tosin and Cunningham mean we are going to try and play the Sheffield United way.  Mowbray has commented about the way the play and how they progressed several times

can see us going

Walton

Tosin right side with Nyambe as back up

Lenihan Central out of contract player as back up

Cunningham Left with Williams as Back up

Sorry chaps and chappeses Bennet as Right wing back JRC as back up

Downing Left wing back Bell as back up

Travis and Johnson Central Midfield Buckley and Evans as back up

Armstrong and Dack behind Gally

57 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Pretty much sold same ST as last year. The lack of say 1500 season tickets (Waggot's target) generating £500,000 at best?  That's limiting him?  That will probably equate to Downing's wage...

The fact you are saying our season will be defined by whether we get a decent out of contract defender says everything about this window.

Mowbray has made his bed.  Now he has to lie in it.

IF we get a decent out of contract defender e.g. Lynch - then IMO it will have been a good window. If we don't - then injuries and Tosin's form will go a long way to defining it.

As you said TM has made his bed - but that would still be the case if he had bought a £10m centre half. People would then moan that we were still relying on a 34 year old centre forward.

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

aaaaaaffffffttttttteeeeerrrrr  the deadline. Well after. Leaving everyone in limbo to fester till weeeellllll aaaaafffffttttttteeeeerrrr the deadline... was poor. IMO

Why do you think that was out of choice? In his interview on ifollow he says that he only got to the training centre at 16:30. 

Again, there are many reasons to criticise the club about the transfer window but I don’t think that’s one of them.

4 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

aaaaaaffffffttttttteeeeerrrrr  the deadline. Well after. Leaving everyone in limbo to fester till weeeellllll aaaaafffffttttttteeeeerrrr the deadline... was poor. IMO

A lot of clubs can't announce deals until the window is shut, as they can submit the paperwork before the deadline but it needs to be approved/signed off by the league.

Cardiff announced his departure at a similar time.

• Like 2

Just now, FGS5635 said:

Mulgrew just turned up at wigan for training. Looks like its done

Can’t find any proof of any deal happening.

What is interesting though is that on social media there are hardly any complaints from Rovers fans. The overriding theme is of people wishing him well and thanking him for the memories.

His time had come.

• Like 9

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Pity, I was hoping he would stick around as a squad player. Pretty sure we will look to get a free agent in now. 

Anyway, overall, I'm happy the window is now shut. 

Amen brother.

Worst innovation in football. Self-fulfilling in the extreme.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bob fleming said:

Goalkeeper - might be similar to Raya. Don't know yet.

Right Back - would start with Nyambe. JRC and Bennett can cover. This will do I suppose. Big season for Nyambe.

Centre Half - the one I was hoping for and the one that would have been my priority. An experienced 30+ year old who could organise the defence, get them set up and switched on. I don't think we got that and we certainly didn't have it before. But we did get a 6 foot 4 centre half in from Man City, rated by their manager. Leaving us with Lenihan, Williams (looks comfortable enough in there for me), the aforementioned Tosin. Also Nyambe can cover, plus there's Grayson - and maybe even Mulgrew yet. But we're one short for me if Mulgrew does go. So maybe we will bring in a free agent? Don't know.

Left Back - Cunningham sounds just the ticket. Bell, Hart can cover and Williams of course. Upgraded

Midfield - Johnson and Travis every week. Upgraded through Johnson. Plenty of cover and bodies here. Evans, Smallwood will do a job but you'd hope their playing time will be limited. There's also Downing, Davenport, Bennett.   

Attacking Mid - Dack, Butterworth, Buckley perhaps? Can take from the pool of other midfielders and forwards if need be.

Forwards - Graham, Gallagher, Armstrong, Brereton, Samuel, Chapman

So in summary more than enough cover up front and in midfield. Where you fit them all in I have no idea and there is a lack of width for me, but that's not how we set up. Defence: improved the left back position. Right back; as you were. Centre half is clearly the concern. I see that Cunningham and Williams played at Bristol City together so hopefully they'll have a good understanding. Would have loved to have seen that Kevin Moran, Craig Short, Henning Berg type brought in but there you go. We shall see.

Don’t forget Rothwell!

• Like 1

I think this summer we have strengthened some important areas of the team, with an obvious glaring weakness at CB. I still don't think letting Raya go was the right thing to do. The midfield and attacking positions are definitely stronger than last year. 

For a club of our size and a need to keep the wage bill to a minimum I'm surprised there haven't been more outgoings. Centre mid looks overstocked with similar players. Surprised we haven't tried to move on Smallwood or Evans....although its likely due to lack of interest. 

We also kept Dack who i thought would have gone in the summer

Just now, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

IF we get a decent out of contract defender e.g. Lynch - then IMO it will have been a good window. If we don't - then injuries and Tosin's form will go a long way to defining it.

As you said TM has made his bed - but that would still be the case if he had bought a £10m centre half. People would then moan that we were still relying on a 34 year old centre forward.

I think everyone agrees we are a good, experienced CB short.  We have been for a while.  You have to hope he has someone lined up because we are too short at CB.  If he was to sign someon like Skrtel for 12 months - that would be a master stroke.

For me, the goalkeeper situation has been the poorest.  Really hoped we'd get an experienced, quality number one.  Walton has the same weaknesses as Raya - just taller.

Just now, Stuart said:

Can’t find any proof of any deal happening.

What is interesting though is that on social media there are hardly any complaints from Rovers fans. The overriding theme is of people wishing him well and thanking him for the memories.

His time had come.

Sky Sports have listed it as having gone through

Just now, RoqueSantaBlues said:

My mate, who works for Wigan, says they're just finalising some bits, only getting a picture as an announcement

If it’s anything like our marketing team they’ll just “pull a Caddis”...

7F4C892A-571E-4E77-B922-267988171881.thumb.jpeg.c409ccbb6989f4230b20a230e8603f8b.jpeg

• Like 1

Overall I think it is a decent window. The only concern is CB really, which puts a lot of pressure on how good Tosin is (then again, if you are highly rated by Guardiola there's no reason why he shouldn't be first choice), and the possibility that we might be able to strengthen with a free agent signing. 

One injury away from a disaster is where we are at the end of this window.

too many midfielders (goodness knows when chapman will get a game etc.)

too many strikers

*** too many players we can’t shift on contracts that shouldn’t have been given out 6 months ago by TM

in Tony we trust 

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned and unfeatured this topic